Project N1-L3 Soviet Lunar Program Development

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I guess Urwumpe calculated this from available data of liftoff mass and ground level thrust

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Where did you find that info, anyways? And does anybody know the peak g-force of the N1?

Yes, it is known.

It disassembled itself at 3g :lol:

(That was the moment when the inner engines had been shut off - and the problems started)

Xavier

Reaction score
Columbia, thanks for notifying me on this project.

I can't wait to fly it. It will be up there with AMSO for me!

If you need any help publicity-wise, whether a video or some sort of webpage, I offer my help.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that development is still going on. I'm currently finishing up the LOK VC after which I'll move on to the reentry sequence.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Development Update: I'm getting into the dll coding now and things are moving very slowly but this project is still in active development and I'll post some screenshots and updates as things progress.

hachiman

Reaction score
Here's a link with pics of the lander. http://www.astronautix.com/craft/lk.htm

Has unseen pics of the Lander cockpit which should be useful.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Here's one of them.

lkpanels.jpg

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Keep up the great work!:thumbup: Looking forward to this.

starbase1

Reaction score
Thought I'd drop in as I found this while searching for info, and spotted some of my old graphics...

I'm doing the graphics for a book on the N-1 and the Soviet manned lunar program, its still a couple of months off release, but there's a ton of new info, and I can probably help a bit here...

The best outline we have for a mission plan is:

1. Lunokhod is delivered to the moon for a survey, to check out landing sites.
2. If good, a second one is sent up to the same area, to home in on the first one.
3. The two now act as a pair of beacons, allowing pinpoint landings.
4. An N-1 delivers an empty LK Lander, to act as a spare. This is inspected for damage by the Lunokhods.
5. Manned LK lander delivers a cosmonaut to the moon, homing in on the lunokhods.
6. If the lander is damaged on landing, the Lunokhod will ferry the cosmonaut to the other lander.

The cosmonaut pulls out a platform on the front of the Lunokhod, and flips out a foot stand. This has the same foot restraints as the lander. The cosmonaut has his back to the lunokhod.

There are two cameras out to the side of the Lunokhod, for the ground controllers to see whats happening. The two cameras originally on the front are reduced to one, which for some reason is lowered, and looks in between the cosmonaut legs.

Maybe they can see if the cosmonaut gets frightened?

If I've got it right, an image is attached showing this - still being revised, but you should get the idea.

The book will be in 2 editions, the more expensive will come with a full blown set of CAD files for the N-1, and more digital content. Both include very detailed plans for all 4 flight versions of the N-1, the lander, the LOK, and the launch tower.

Attachments

• wide-pano-exscape.jpg
    wide-pano-exscape.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 116

Columbia42

Reaction score
Wow! Your book sounds like a Soviet space enthusiast's (such as myself) dream come true! I was not aware that the cosmonaut stood on the front of the Lunokhod but seeing your image it makes a lot of sense. By graphics do you mean that you modeled the CADs?

starbase1

Reaction score
Wow! Your book sounds like a Soviet space enthusiast's (such as myself) dream come true! I was not aware that the cosmonaut stood on the front of the Lunokhod but seeing your image it makes a lot of sense. By graphics do you mean that you modeled the CADs?

I hope its the kind of thing you want, it sounds like you are the target audience!

The CAD files are (mostly) 2d, and were produced over many years by one of our Russian experts. (We have some great photos of Alex climbing over bits of N-1 wreckage with a notebook and taoe measure!). Combined with a Baikonur veteran who we think has seen and analysed all the bits from around Baikonur, we think these are the best plans possible as the originals were all thoroughly destroyed by Glushko.

Many parts were measured accurate to the millimetre by the guys who made the plans.

My role was to turn them into 3d models, and fill in all the parts that are not visible in the plan views, with a lot of help from Alex.

We think it will be ready for printing in a month or two, currently collecting information on the role of the N-1 in the roughly planned Mars and Venus manned flyby missions.

The 4 flight versions of the N-1 are the main focus, we also have good plans on the rotating launch tower and associated systems, the LK Landers, and the LOK.

Nick