Project Project - Outposts

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am making an announcement about a new addon project for Orbiter 2010 that I have been developing over the past year an intend on releasing the first installment autumn (fall) 2011.

My name is Stephen Tweed and I have been a user and fan of the Orbiter flight simulator for a few years now and have even introduced the simulator to a number of colleges of my.

The project is called Project - Outposts and is intended as a series of addon packages for Orbiter. The first installment is a collection of new space station components based around current and near-tech technologies. The package will feature concept models based around those proposed by the Space Islands Group, NASA, ESA, and other join space agencies. Some models will consist of animated parts while others are static models. Each module will be an individual unit which can be connected together in the Orbiter scenario editor. The package will consist of a few concept space stations and starter scenarios which form part of a background story line. In addition users may choose to create their own constructions and scenarios creating a richer environment to exist within.

The background story behind the addon series is explained in the first release in detail, but the basic concept is that humanity found a new energy regarding the important of space exploration. Like the political stresses that triggered the first space race and put man on the moon a new stress has force the hand of man to turn to the heavens for safety and refuge.

Attached are some early screen shots of a few of the modules available in the package.

Attachments

• ScreenShot01.jpg
    ScreenShot01.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 200
  • ScreenShot02.jpg
    ScreenShot02.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 227
  • ScreenShot03.jpg
    ScreenShot03.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 259
  • ScreenShot04.jpg
    ScreenShot04.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 222
  • ScreenShot05.jpg
    ScreenShot05.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 223
  • ScreenShot06.jpg
    ScreenShot06.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 194
  • ScreenShot07.jpg
    ScreenShot07.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 220

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

Those modules look great! :tiphat:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Sweet! An External-Tank-Wet-Workshop-Station. I remember seeing pictures of these in old space books from the 80s.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sweet! An External-Tank-Wet-Workshop-Station. I remember seeing pictures of these in old space books from the 80s.

Agreed. I swear I've seen that third screenshot as an artist impression from a book in the early 80's about how much the shuttle is going to do.

This addon looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! :cheers:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Looks good! Perhaps we can use the modules to build this:

space-station-freedom-1985-space-art.jpg

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Looking great! :thumbup:
There's always room for more station part in my Orbiter install. :)

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Many thanks

:thankyou:

Many thanks to you all, I wasn't sure how this addon announcement would be received by the community. After all there are a lot great station addons in existance already, why should I make another.

This was more a personal endever, a dream, I have always wanted to realise but never thought I would have the time - until I discovered Martins' Orbiter. The hard work was done for me so I could sit back and concentrate on playing and making my own toys! As I was developing these modules I thought it would be a shame not to give back to the community something what has given so much to me already. I hope this addon will be everything you hope it will be.

Now to answer a few questions:

• Yes what is shown in the screen shots is a wet-workshop-station a very popular design back in the 80's at the high point of the shuttle programme. It's an image that suck in my mind when I was a young boy. I have always wanted one.
  • Yes there are a number of books that show similar artist impressions of such types of station. If you also visit the Space Islands Group website you'll find some there also. Not to forget there is an addon available for Orbiter on Orbit Hangar Mods by 80mileshigh which is a collection of 3 external fuel tank stations, its title is External Tank Stations 1.0. I loved that one and it gave me the push to develop this addon pack! :thumbup:
  • I'm planning to release approximately 20 modules in this the first addon in the Project - Outposts series. Of which you should be able to create something that resembles that well known image that 4thRock has mentioned. I like that one too :thumbup:.
  • As for features:
    • Each module will have a virtual cockpit, this will be used to create views of the internal structure and layout of the modules. In some cases give access to control panels.
    • Control panels will be included for manipulating the solar panels, radiators, cupola window sheilds.
    • Keyboard controls will be used for the airlock hatch and tool boxes, and provide an alternative control interface to many virtual cockpit controls e.g. manipulating solar panels etc.
    • I'm in two minds about supporting controls in the 2d view. If the community wishes to have this feature then please let me know. After all this is your toy too.
    • I intend each module to be compatible with the stock space shuttle model so you can attach each module into its cargo hold.
    • I have plans to support destruction of each module so you could simulate burning up dead or waste modules in the atmosphere. Though this is subject to time constrains. I am a busy man, have to hold down a full time job and spend time with the Mrs.
    • There will be a number of prepare scenarios which will include some space stations I have created from the package. Each scenario will consist of mission style game play (including resupply, waste disposal, and goods transport missions). A background story line explaining there reasons and purpose for the scenarios. The story line is based about 50 years in the future after a global environmental crissis involving ecological and economical stresses which altered the worlds political stance. Of cause you do not have to follow the story line.
    • The addon will be shipped in an msi installer package and will not affect your current Orbiter install. Removal of the software can be done with out affecting your orbiter install also.
    • There will be two versions of this addon; a hi-resolution version and a low-resolution version. This is to best support the various machine specifications of the community.
    • I have plans for other game play features but I may hold those back for a later upgrade.
  • Finally I have plans for three more addons in this series which I shall be developing over the next year. For up and coming details watch this space.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
  • As for features:
    • Each module will have a virtual cockpit, this will be used to create views of the internal structure and layout of the modules. In some cases give access to control panels.
    • Control panels will be included for manipulating the solar panels, radiators, cupola window sheilds.
    • I have plans to support destruction of each module so you could simulate burning up dead or waste modules in the atmosphere. Though this is subject to time constrains. I am a busy man, have to hold down a full time job and spend time with the Mrs.
    • There will be two versions of this addon; a hi-resolution version and a low-resolution version. This is to best support the
If you can pull off these 4 specifically, then this will probably be my favourite station parts addon of all time! :cheers:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
    • The addon will be shipped in an msi installer package and will not affect your current Orbiter install. Removal of the software can be done with out affecting your orbiter install also.

This addon looks more than great, it looks fantastic! But might it be possible to also give the option to download it as a regular zipped file? Some of us already use our own Mod organizer tools, and it would be nice to keep it compatible.

Looking forward to playing with this one!

Kendo

Reaction score
I have to agree, this is a stunning project. One question. will this be compatable with both 2006P1 and 2010P1 ( or possibly 2 versions ) ?. 2006 is still, and will used by many people.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Outstanding!

I had the same reaction as Arthur Dent when I saw that "External-Tank-Wet-Workshop-Station" and had to reach for my copy of High Frontiers to see if that was the memory I was having.

This is a really ambitious project, and I wish you success with it. I've added myself to the growing list of Orbinauts waiting in line to try it!

Ark

Reaction score
Very cool, I'm always happy to see more station parts.

I do wonder how the ET-based modules will make it to orbit. Could the Shuttle Fleet ET be replaced with one and rigged not to separate automatically?

Pablo49

Reaction score
This addon looks more than great, it looks fantastic! But might it be possible to also give the option to download it as a regular zipped file? Some of us already use our own Mod organizer tools, and it would be nice to keep it compatible.

Or atleast install into an empty folder without dummy-safe checks like in the OurbiterSound addons, etc.

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Yes of cause there will be regular zip and winrar packages, that goes without saying. If any of you have any other specific requirements for package delivery then please let me know.

----- Post added at 9:38 a.m. ----- The previous post was at 9:34 a.m. -----

I have to agree, this is a stunning project. One question. will this be compatable with both 2006P1 and 2010P1 ( or possibly 2 versions ) ?. 2006 is still, and will used by many people.

Yes I have been developing it on both versions of Orbiter. The project started out been developed for 2006P1 then I got my hands on 2010P1. To help reduce confusion I am happy to release two different version.

----- Post added at 10:01 a.m. ----- The previous post was at 9:38 a.m. -----

Very cool, I'm always happy to see more station parts.

I do wonder how the ET-based modules will make it to orbit. Could the Shuttle Fleet ET be replaced with one and rigged not to separate automatically?

I wondered when that one would come up. I would like that also, I'll put that on my 'to look at' list for you.

I have been designing an alternative method to get these and other modules up into orbit. The method fits nicely into the background story line. Those of you who have read Arthur C. Clarke's, Fountains of Paradise, will now probably know what I'm intending on releasing as one of my next three addons for the Project - Outposts series late 2012.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Regarding VCs and interiors, I've posted on my blog a colection of Spacestation Freedom interior mockups were you can see some interesting concepts, like the Habitability Module's portable workstation, the docking port interior and a Observation cupola simulator.

http://orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com/2011/07/space-station-freedom-interior.html

I'd say that a simple 2D VC for system control would be nice, if implementation is easier than in 3D. Nothing fancy, just a CTR for general display and some buttons to press with some status LED lights.
Something more advanced that this one, from Skylab, but maintaining the general switchboard look:

pxv.jpg

Nazban

Reaction score
This addon could revolutionize VSA's stations and projects like the OFSS series!!
Cant wait for its release!! Awesome work!!:tiphat:

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Regarding VCs and interiors, I've posted on my blog a colection of Spacestation Freedom interior mockups were you can see some interesting concepts, like the Habitability Module's portable workstation, the docking port interior and a Observation cupola simulator.

http://orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com/2011/07/space-station-freedom-interior.html

I'd say that a simple 2D VC for system control would be nice, if implementation is easier than in 3D. Nothing fancy, just a CTR for general display and some buttons to press with some status LED lights.
Something more advanced that this one, from Skylab, but maintaining the general switchboard look:

pxv.jpg

Thanks very much, that link was very useful. I'll be using that as reference. Cheers :cheers:

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Project-Outposts: Wet Workshop Pack

First my appologies to everyone waiting for this addon to Orbiter, I have been serverly delayed in releasing it due to work commitments. The original release was planed for the end of October 2011 which I failed to achive.

The good news is that the first pack in the Project-Outposts series is now in the final stages ready for release at the end of this month (January 2012).

The first addon pack will be the wet workshop station pack, in this pack you will receive 19 space station modules which you can use to construct your very own space stations. Most modules can be attached to the standard Atlantis Space Shuttle, which comes with Orbiter, and launched into orbit. Modifications can be made to attach to the various other space shuttle packs that are out there. This addon pack is mainly a scenic expansion pack for constructing fictional orbital space stations using current & future technology.

Many of the modules have 3D cockpits representing the interiors of the modules which you can move around and look through various windows to view the exterior of the space station and the amazing views of planets below. These views can be used to view space craft traveling to and from the stations, perform visual safety checks of space craft, and to perform other operations such as robotic arm maneuvers and station construction. You can even perform EVA's from the airlock modules and venture out into space to rescue satellites, perform repairs, and more. You are only limited by your imagination!

All modules have some for of control tools which allow you to perform docking operations or attachments of scenic furniture such as antennas or O2 tanks etc. Some modules have additional functionality such as window operations and solar panel and radiator controls. In addition some modules have animated features which you can play with to create the look and feel of the stations you want or to create station repair scenarios.

All modules can be jettisoned and put on collision courses with planets so you can create missions to burn up dead station modules in the atmosphere. During burn up modules will also be destroyed so if you are on the ground in the right place you may get a glims of the module burning up in the atmosphere!

The pack will include a number of demo scenarios to get you started with example space station superstructures, and feature demos. The documentation details the various tools and controls each module has and details the various features available to you. Also the documentation provides a general story line which the series is base around. Future packs will expaned on the story line bring new features and depth to your scenarios.

Last edited: