Humor Random Comments Thread

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think Elite Dangerous would be almost the perfect game for me, but I the Horizon gotcha thingie made me turn away. Sometimes I like to have minimal challenge from a game when I just want to wind down and relax. I've ground down several entire asteroids in Space Engineers. :lol: I think somebody needs to develop "WinMine in Space" :rofl:

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Been thinking about E:D too - how safe is it to roam around MMO? was massively put off Eve online because of the mindless thugs that just gang up to wipe out newbies or indeed anyone else . . .
Or maybe go for No Man's Sky next month?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still betting on No Man's Sky to be immensely underwhelming.
Lots of people will preorder, play for a week, and then... Titanfall.

I don't have evidence that it will be a disappointment, but I also have frighteningly little evidence it will be enjoyable. It's mostly a bad feeling, really.
I'm a pessimist. :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Well, I follow the game on Facebook somehow (don't ask me how this happened. I suspect it is related to organic chemistry) and from time to time look at it, but I am still pretty skeptical, mostly about the Internet connectivity of it. Also I am not sure if my notebook can run it or if I should better wait until I can buy better hardware.

DCS 2.0 used to run OK on my notebook for example before switching to Windows 10, now I have many games that work but can't be played because of the buggy gamepad driver in it.

If you can run DCS then it should be fine: requirements seem to be quite low. If you're on the fence just wait for the next Steam sale, it's always discounted pretty steeply: I paid around 15-17€ for it, which is nice. Plus 26 for Horizons a week ago, but you can do without that at first to see if you like it. And remember Steams 2-week refund policy.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Been thinking about E:D too - how safe is it to roam around MMO? was massively put off Eve online because of the mindless thugs that just gang up to wipe out newbies or indeed anyone else . . .
Or maybe go for No Man's Sky next month?

So far no I've had no encounters with human griefers.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Slowly but surely:
M39VeXQ.jpg

Still, a nice place to take a nap:
53RBZ0D.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
how safe is it to roam around MMO?

Space is big... I haven't actually met a single player in my almost one hundred hours of play.

Also I am not sure if my notebook can run it or if I should better wait until I can buy better hardware.

The base game runs fine on a low mid-range card (GeForce 840M on my laptop, no problems). Horizons is a bit more demanding at least on the specs, I don't know how well that would fare on my machine. Guess I'll know soon, because it's got the same GPU recommendation as no man's sky, which I'm getting anyways, hoping that I can get it to run at some lower settings... :shifty:
Compared to a PS4 I have lots of CPU power to spare, and since the generation was said to run exclusively on the CPU it might work out...

Raven

Reaction score
Has anyone around here tried Evochron: Legacy? It's my go-to for sci-fi space flight. It's not as pretty as the next-gen stuff because it was made to run on a wider range of hardware, but definitely worth a look. It's made by one guy with a few things like models and sound contributed by others. Sort of like Orbiter... I've spent many happy hours with this one and it's predecessor, Mercenary. If you're interested have a look: http://starwraith.com/

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I feel like I've seen that name before...Scott Manley did a video on it a while back iirc.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone around here tried Evochron: Legacy?

I remember the Evochron series mainly for really, really, really good space combat, but also a completely generic world without any context whatsoever, not even enough to make things up as you go along.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-RbOKanYs]These[/ame] [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjQ9b3pgIg]two[/ame] videos got me seriously thinking about using a password manager. KeePass seems like a good, open-source one, but the only one thing that bothers me is that: I have an Android phone, a laptop running ubuntu dual booted with Windows, and my gaming PC on Windows plus Ubuntu on dual boot (yes, the order matters :lol:), and that wouls mean having a database synced between all of those. Local copies of it wouldn't be good enough because of the need to be in sync. And given how easy I lose things, storing the db on a thumbdrive that I would carry everywhere isn't really a possibility... (Especially when you can't plug in a thumb drive in a Nexus 5X :shifty:)

Those are the reasons why I haven't switched to a password manager; although I guess using Google Chrome's synced password storage could be a password manager.

Unstung

Reaction score
I may not be old, but I was born closer to men walking on the moon than to today.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
These two videos got me seriously thinking about using a password manager. KeePass seems like a good, open-source one, but the only one thing that bothers me is that: I have an Android phone, a laptop running ubuntu dual booted with Windows, and my gaming PC on Windows plus Ubuntu on dual boot (yes, the order matters :lol:), and that wouls mean having a database synced between all of those. Local copies of it wouldn't be good enough because of the need to be in sync. And given how easy I lose things, storing the db on a thumbdrive that I would carry everywhere isn't really a possibility... (Especially when you can't plug in a thumb drive in a Nexus 5X :shifty:)

Those are the reasons why I haven't switched to a password manager; although I guess using Google Chrome's synced password storage could be a password manager.

For this reason I use LastPass: it isn't open source, so that may be a no go, but it has extremely useful features such as syncing, checking for duplicates, automated password change on many websites, 2-factor authentication and availability on every browser.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
These two videos got me seriously thinking about using a password manager. KeePass seems like a good, open-source one, but the only one thing that bothers me is that: I have an Android phone, a laptop running ubuntu dual booted with Windows, and my gaming PC on Windows plus Ubuntu on dual boot (yes, the order matters :lol:), and that wouls mean having a database synced between all of those. Local copies of it wouldn't be good enough because of the need to be in sync. And given how easy I lose things, storing the db on a thumbdrive that I would carry everywhere isn't really a possibility... (Especially when you can't plug in a thumb drive in a Nexus 5X :shifty:)

My keypass password files are on Dropbox. I have 2 DB accounts, one for work and my personal one. I have a folder shared between them.

Our work uses LastPass. Not a great fan of it, if you don't install the plugins (web developer so I don't want plugins screwing around with my password fields) it isn't that great.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Been getting torque errors because I normalised force vectors after inducing double-inprecisions into what should have been clean zeroes by rotating them.

The lesson of the story: Round the force, luke! :p

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I don't have evidence that it will be a disappointment, but I also have frighteningly little evidence it will be enjoyable. It's mostly a bad feeling, really.
I'm a pessimist. :lol:
Well, it's essentially a well-polished Spaceway clone, and that one went nowhere. :shrug:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, it's essentially a well-polished Spaceway clone, and that one went nowhere. :shrug:

Well, somewhere it must have been gone. Maybe it went to meet its maker.

Sadly I can't really tell from the latest status of it, what works and what does not work.

birdmanmike

Reaction score
well going on all that, thanks guys, I'll try Elite D when the mowing season is over - or before if it keeps raining

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
well going on all that, thanks guys, I'll try Elite D when the mowing season is over - or before if it keeps raining

Yeah, noticed the season. Many harvesters and tractors on the road right now, I drive past a silo at the inland harbor where they sell the corn on my way to and from work. A few days ago, there was literally a loop of tractors.

steph

Reaction score
Yeah, noticed the season. Many harvesters and tractors on the road right now, I drive past a silo at the inland harbor where they sell the corn on my way to and from work. A few days ago, there was literally a loop of tractors.

Noticed that too in western France. Don't know what they're relying on ,though. GFS only forecasts some rains for the next week or so, and CFS (the longer range forecast) , well...haven't looked at it, but weather buffs usually take that with a bucket of salt so I don't know why the farmers would trust it. Or is it really harvest season regardless? :rofl: