Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I want to go back in time and make the creator of emacs eat a keyboard, then hit him around the head with a mouse :beathead:

Oh, vi ? :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
vi has got nothing on emacs when it comes to ridiculously convoluted key commands...

I very much hope that dwarf fortress is written using an emacs editor. Anything else would just be bad style! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
vi has got nothing on emacs when it comes to ridiculously convoluted key commands...

Oh come on, give vi a try to prove you wrong. :lol:

You maybe need to press less keys at once, but you can spend a lot of time telling vi what you are up to.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh come on, give vi a try to prove you wrong.

I was relatively fluent at vi for a while when I had to use it, actually. "Relative" as in I could edit text without swearing, but I couldn't do magic.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was relatively fluent at vi for a while when I had to use it, actually. "Relative" as in I could edit text without swearing, but I couldn't do magic.

I also only can use vi for the basic tasks, but the basic tasks are a bit excessive here. A lot of copy and paste sometimes. But vi is the only editor that also works for Solaris.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I use vi only when Midnight Commander isn't available, which rarely is the case. As for Emacs, I've never felt any need to use it, so I don't know what I'm losing, though every Linux distribution I've been installing at the beginning of 2000's suggested that I will want it in my system. And if I need something more than basic editing tasks, I use sed.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never felt any need to use it

There's one single incentive for me, and that is that it seems to be the only editor that can be turned into a visual clojure debugger. I didn't get that particular feature to run yet, however... :shifty:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On a completely random topic, i just read an expression "as subtle as a fart in a spacesuit", and can't quite figure if it should mean "stinking obvious" (the fart have nowhere else to go) or "completely undetectable" (there is no one else in the spacesuit to notice it).

What do you think?

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apparently, on a raspberry pi, Harddrive powers you... I'm not sure if I stumbled on an undocumented feature here, or if a fire is going to break out any minute... :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Apparently, on a raspberry pi, Harddrive powers you... I'm not sure if I stumbled on an undocumented feature here, or if a fire is going to break out any minute... :shifty:

:blink:

Run away!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, if you look at the PI 2 schematic ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/documen.../Raspberry-Pi-Rev-2.1-Model-AB-Schematics.pdf ), you can see that the power rail of the USB port is connected directly to the input 5V rail, so the power would flow from the hub via the HDD to the right spot on the PI.

However, you might also note that this leaves the fuse and fuse-reliant protection circuitry on the wrong side of the power input, that is if something were to overload the fuse won't save the day.

Being buzzed by a mains connected device is normal thanks to the capacitors across PSU transformers letting a slight trickle of AC through. You should feel the same touching a metal case of a PC or a laptop with the moving back of your hand.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, if you look at the PI 2 schematic

Electronics schematics are chinese to me. Hell, often enough they're actual chinese, now that I think about it... :lol:

However, you might also note that this leaves the fuse and fuse-reliant protection circuitry on the wrong side of the power input

I see... but when I power it normally, and have HD attached, and the fuse blows, won't the surge just come in through the backdoor anyways?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
It might well do. It depends where the short is and where power is coming from.
Putting power-supplies in parallel is never a good idea, IMHO.
I'm not a designer, but I've fixed a lot of stuff, and the USB system never appealed.

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I see... but when I power it normally, and have HD attached, and the fuse blows, won't the surge just come in through the backdoor anyways?
That's actually a good point - with the HD attached the fuse won't do much good regardless of the normal supply presence, since there would be another path for current to be supplied from.

Essentially it's a matter of bad (or rather not wide-sighted) design on the HD part - most PCs and laptops have a current limiting circuit on the USB power, which does not allow backfeed through it naturally, and the device designers assume that in their design. PIs and similar cheap boards don't have that.

One solution would be to use the hub as both a hub and power supply, rather than plugging power into one hub and data directly - the input port of a hub shouldn't backfeed if it follows USB specs.
Then again, plenty of hubs don't follow the specs either...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Talk about ironic. I literally just stumbled upon this last Friday when looking at options for powering my Pi3-powered Stratux.

It's actually a documented feature of the Raspberry Pi Power Supply, and it's called Backpowering.

So, in summary, you stumbled upon an obscure documented feature, and although it would be an extreme variation of "your Raspberry Pi could potentially be damaged," a fire could in fact potentially break out...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the input port of a hub shouldn't backfeed if it follows USB specs.

The USB-port on my HP ZBook even backfeeds the thing, and that's about the most expensive piece of hardware I have lying around :lol: (well, appart from the beefed up Lenovo thinkstation at the other end of the table, obviously :shifty:)

EDIT: Oh wait, I realised that I got you backwards there... You meant to plug power and data of the HD into the hub, and then feed the data from the hub to the pi.
Huh, I guess our electronics engineer will have a bit of thinkng on his hand when he gets back. The whole stuff will be powered by the PoE-to-USB converter he developed, so he'll have to determine how save the whole setup is when we plug all that stuff in.

---------- Post added 12-13-16 at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-12-16 at 04:54 PM ----------

Servers that return errors well formated and styled as HTML are great... unless you're testing with curl. :dry:

Last edited: