Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Optimistic calculation: Regardless where you go in Germany, you are always less than 1000 meters away from an unexploded bomb.

I once had a darkly comedic but somewhat serious discussion with some friends about what what sorts of activities we could engage in when we were old or diagnosed with a fatal disorder and near the end of healthy life; when deadly risks were on the table and getting blown to smithereens was not necessarily an unwelcome outcome.

Sounds like "gardening in Germany" might be one of these activities.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I once had a darkly comedic but somewhat serious discussion with some friends about what what sorts of activities we could engage in when we were old or diagnosed with a fatal disorder and near the end of healthy life; when deadly risks were on the table and getting blown to smithereens was not necessarily an unwelcome outcome.

I read an old short story once about a guy who, getting on in years and losing the spring in his step, decided he would go mountain climbing and take extreme risks, figuring that "deceleration sickness" would be a pretty good way to go out. Of course, things didn't exactly turn out the way he planned. I think the story was called "Action".

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

I found it: 'Action' by C. E. Montague

It's in this book, which my dad gave me a long time ago, and which now apparently commands a high price: https://www.amazon.com/ACTION-ADVENTURE-George-editor-Bennett/dp/B002ATVF3K

Lots of great stories on there, including the first Arthur C. Clarke story I ever read, and 'Leiningen Versus the Ants' by Carl Stephenson, which was made into a pretty good film starring Charleton Heston.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Less merry christmas is planned in Augsburg this year. On the first day of christmas, 54000 citizens (from 32000 apartments) have to be evacuated because they are planning to disarm a HC 8000 LB cookie from WW2. This will be the biggest evacuation in German history after WW2. 800 police officers will be deployed.

They should just have waited for midnight of the 31st and made it go kaboomy with all the fireworks. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Gardening seems to be harmless, because you rarely dig deep enough.... but becoming excavator driver in Germany is somewhat more risky.

http://www.maz-online.de/Lokales/Po...damer-Baggerfahrer-haette-keine-Chance-gehabt

https://www.thelocal.de/20140103/digger-driver-dies-after-hitting-wwii-bomb

If you ever wonder why big construction projects take so long in Germany right now: One possible explanation could be all workers deciding to leave work early and have a drink after hearing a metal sound during digging.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re. #23063 above.

Seems Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta is closed now, so the executable will never arrive! Not sure what I bought now. Was checking the site, but missed the beta.
Ho-hum, Merry Xmas.

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Meanwhile in Russia.
More precisely, inside Kazan airport.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Is that real!!?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We'll be all right if we can just get back on the expressway.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can basically hear the swearing through the yackety sax. Damn, this is hilarious! :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
If that was Heathrow, he would be dead now. Those security personnel are brave tackling who knows what in that car.

Scots version:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Note for future reference: Don't buy a game on steam a day before christmass. Download speed's around 10 kbs :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Note for future reference: Don't buy a game on steam a day before christmass. Download speed's around 10 kbs :facepalm:

Same if you are planning to leave your apartment and WiFi tomorrow and need to install some games before being mostly away from home, except for some short weekends.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Strange that Yakety Sax is so well known. Thought the title would only be the "Benny Hill Music" to most folk.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Strange that Yakety Sax is so well known. Thought the title would only be the "Benny Hill Music" to most folk.

N.

Actually, it took me about 30 years to know it isn't just the "Benny Hill Music", if this makes you feel better. :lol: