Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Edit: how were the subs at Valentin supposed to get out? Some underwater link? Were they planning to dig up a water link?

A short channel to the single gate on the western end - which was also used for delivering complete submarine sections to the factory by barge.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Unrelated to the ongoing topic, but, n122vu, excellent signature picture!

Thanks! That's actually a picture I took last summer, have used it on a couple aviation forums, thought I'd bring it over here as well.

I've been using this one as my cover photo on FB since I took it a few weeks ago.
17457464_10210414864222431_1388971990819317519_n.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I was growing up near Philadelphia in the 80s the Phila. Naval Yard had a gigantic crane that was visible for miles around. The area around Philly is very flat, especially New Jersey, and from New Jersey driving up a particular street towards the Delaware River I remember being able to see that crane towering in the hazy distance. They tore that crane down and scrapped it in the mid-90s when the base was winding down and being commercialized.

Turns out it was called the "League Island Crane" and was built in 1917. It was used to move battleship gun turrets, according to this page.

Here's a photo of it from 1923, which appears to be shot from the New Jersey side of the river:

iu

Here's a photo of it in 1944. I can't make out which carrier that is on the right; I'm guessing the lack of hull number is a wartime measure. But the battleship to the immediate left is clearly the South Dakota; you can see the name on the stern.

iu

ETA: The ship to the left labeled "Wilkes-Barre" is probably the light cruiser CL-103, according to wiki.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
When I was growing up near Philadelphia in the 80s the Phila. Naval Yard had a gigantic crane that was visible for miles around. The area around Philly is very flat, especially New Jersey, and from New Jersey driving up a particular street towards the Delaware River I remember being able to see that crane towering in the hazy distance. They tore that crane down and scrapped it in the mid-90s when the base was winding down and being commercialized.

Turns out it was called the "League Island Crane" and was built in 1917. It was used to move battleship gun turrets, according to this page.

Here's a photo of it from 1923, which appears to be shot from the New Jersey side of the river:

iu

Here's a photo of it in 1944. I can't make out which carrier that is on the right; I'm guessing the lack of hull number is a wartime measure. But the battleship to the immediate left is clearly the South Dakota; you can see the name on the stern.

iu

ETA: The ship to the left labeled "Wilkes-Barre" is probably the light cruiser CL-103, according to wiki.

There's still one of those at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard... It looms over the drydocks, but is no longer in active use.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

iu

iu

Looking closer at that carrier I can see a number "37" just aft of the anchor. That would make this the Princeton, which was built in Philadelphia and launched there in July 45 and was later used to recover Apollo 10.

This her during the Apollo 10 recovery in 1969, having been redesignated an amphibious assault carrier, LPH-5.

1920px-USS_Princeton_%28LPH-5%29_Apollo_10_1969.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, Wolfsburg got hit by a really bad thunderstorm today. The Bundesliga match in the arena had to be stopped because of a hailstorm, the B188 near my parents had to be closed because of massive flooding (Can't remember this ever happened in the past). The local public pool 1 km away from my apartment is closed, a massive lightning strike damaged the technical systems of it, by the sound of the first reports the fuses did not protect further damage.

Nearly nothing happened right here. Some stronger lightning strikes. But neither storm, nor hail, nor much rain.

steph

Reaction score
OK, Wolfsburg got hit by a really bad thunderstorm today. The Bundesliga match in the arena had to be stopped because of a hailstorm, the B188 near my parents had to be closed because of massive flooding (Can't remember this ever happened in the past). The local public pool 1 km away from my apartment is closed, a massive lightning strike damaged the technical systems of it, by the sound of the first reports the fuses did not protect further damage.

Nearly nothing happened right here. Some stronger lightning strikes. But neither storm, nor hail, nor much rain.

Might have been a supercell, though I'm not sure. AFAIR, conditions weren't that bad these days. By the looks of it, most of the storms were low-topped. You generally get significant hail in low-topped storms, when the atmosphere is usually cold enough for hail to easily form, or in the supercell monsters of summer, where the updrafts are strong enough. Both the low-topped and the supercells are also notorious for positive lightning, which usually fries most of what it encounters. Not to mention that there can be low-topped supercells :lol:

My hometown got hit by a nasty one a few years back, definitely a supercell and during the night. The local weather station, after measuring some 100 + kph winds, got hit by lightning. As in , all the five lightning rods got hit. Everything got fried, from the computer to the instruments. The weathermen worked old-school for a few weeks after that, until new equipment was brought in. Strangely enough , in my neighborhood, power didn't go out. The lights were flickering like crazy and we were sure we'd lose power soon, but we didn't.

I think Blitzortung.org used to differentiate between negative and positive strikes, but they might have discontinued that feature. Other lightning detectors within range might have that ability.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am sure it could have been a Supercell - I photographed one this evening, while doing the weekend groceries after the storm.

picture.php

Just look at those mammatus clouds!

steph

Reaction score
I am sure it could have been a Supercell - I photographed one this evening, while doing the weekend groceries after the storm.

picture.php

Just look at those mammatus clouds!

Those are always epic :)
Apparently there still is some lightning activity in the area, even now.

edit: according to weather radar archive, there was a squall line in the north of Germany this afternoon/evening, with a quite awesome-looking southern cell, and a few other discrete cells that continue firing up even during the night. I'm not sure which one you saw (probably one of the discrete ones, by the timing). That sundown timeframe is epic for watching thunderstorms, you can still clearly discern the cloud AND see the lightning

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not that I care about any of the subjects, but I fell off the chair laughing with this image about what happened here today :rofl:
AoN8yJT.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
192 A1 size stickers, each different. Spent 8 hours making files for printing and cutting. I hate those kinds of orders.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:rofl:

The US band Kansas just cancelled their European tour because of the US travel warning for Europe. It is too dangerous here.

Its true. I might get a sunburn today.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Before about eight years ago, I would have been offended. Given the results of the last three presidential elections...

Seriously: I don't want to let this go down in nationalism or "who has the more stupid government" (because I will win! Its mine, I must know it!)

I just find it very funny to be mentioned in the same list of countries as some war zones and the effects such a warning has.

Its a very sunny day, nearly perfect temperatures, perfect weather for going outside and enjoying your life... we would call it "Bombenwetter" here ... OK, maybe something was lost in translation. :rofl:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Before about eight years ago, I would have been offended.
Fun fact: The "americans are stupid" stereotype is about as old and ubiquitous around the world as the "russians are drunkards" one.