Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
CV axles are done. Freaked myself out when I started the car on the jacks and put it in drive and only saw one wheel turning. A little Googling and the better part of an hour investigating open differentials tells me that this is fine and to be expected. Changed the oil, tires back on, good test drive.

Need a second shower. It's really hard getting those axle shaft seals out without launching transmission fluid everywhere.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Things learned today: Handles in Orbiter are not typesave. Now I wonder how I managed to never run into trouble because of that before...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I heard an interesting podcast on the famous "Vela Incident". I've read about it before, but apparently new evidence has surfaced indicating that, more likely than not, it was indeed a nuclear explosion.

If so, it amazes me that those involved have been able to keep their mouths shut for so long. Most conspiracy theories fail due to the inability of large organizations to keep secrets for very long.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What evidence recently surfaced to support that hypothesis?

Declassified documents. Apparently hydrophones recorded noises not inconsistent with nuclear explosion signatures at the same time the satellite detected the flash.

Near the bottom of the wiki page it goes into it. At the time the Carter White House strongly suspected it was a test conducted by Israel and South Africa, and it has been suspected ever since by many observers that if it was Israel the US government might look the other way.

Not mentioned in the article but mentioned in the podcast was discussion about the shortcomings of the USAF's ability to detect airborne fission products in that remote part of the world in a timely fashion. Not sure I buy into that, personally.

So while it remains inconclusive, the evidence now apparently points in the direction of a man-made explosion.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Hmm. I've always felt that the Vela Incident was a nuclear test... the question for me has always been "By who?" I've also always believed that the Israelis were a nuclear power... even if they don't openly admit it. I'd just been hesitant to link the two before.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So while it remains inconclusive, the evidence now apparently points in the direction of a man-made explosion.

Still, it is a bit mysterious... There are no chemical traces about a nuclear explosion found at the prince edward islands.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hmm. I've always felt that the Vela Incident was a nuclear test... the question for me has always been "By who?" I've also always believed that the Israelis were a nuclear power... even if they don't openly admit it. I'd just been hesitant to link the two before.

Welllll... They do openly admit to it, phrased in such a way so as to maintain plausible deniability. That way they get the deterrent effect without all of the bad PR.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been giving another try at Blender those last days... So far, so good, followed a lot of good tutorials and I'm quite impressed by the power of that thing. Again, Blender is really mean in terms of learning curve - but it's definitively the way to go. Options are limitless. Some parts of the interface are really messy, others are very smart. You really have to know where to search, and tutorials are great for that.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, the Windows Subsystem for Linux is apparently out of beta:
Ym3l43p.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Starting to see a few Windows 10 installs on the classroom PCs. Who actually doesn't get a brain cramp trying to navigate that awful tile interface? There is no rhyme or reason to it. A new user has to look at everything in order to find what they are trying to get to.

Blech.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned this before... but you will pry Windows 7 from my cold. dead. fingers. :rant:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Starting to see a few Windows 10 installs on the classroom PCs. Who actually doesn't get a brain cramp trying to navigate that awful tile interface? There is no rhyme or reason to it. A new user has to look at everything in order to find what they are trying to get to.

Blech.

In my oppinion, that is mitigated by having the search function right there in the taskbar. I can't even remember when I used the start menu for the last time. Either I use a program frequently enough to have it pinned to the taskbar, or I just run a quick search for it, which is ways faster than clicking through the start menu in any version of windows.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
just run a quick search for it
...am i the only one who have the programs located on the filesystem in a way that there is no need for a concept of search...?

Sure, you need to search for files, but for programs on Windows it's always "go to S:\<category>\<program_name>, run program's exe", no?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sure, you need to search for files, but for programs on Windows it's always "go to S:\<category>\<program_name>, run program's exe", no?

No, and I am not sure if this is really bad.

I just set up the tiles by what I need and create custom tiles if needed... for example for launching MS Word with a template.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
am i the only one who have the programs located on the filesystem in a way that there is no need for a concept of search...?

search is quicker ;)

It's even my normal way to start a program on Ubuntu: ALT-F2, type first three to four letters of program, enter. The only thing quicker is having things pinned to the taskbar, which obviously loses effectiveness if there's too many pinned things...

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

All Star Wars movies dropped on Netflix while I was looking the other way. All except for "A new hope", for whatever weird reason...??
Also except for rogue one, but that for understandable reason. Force awakens is there, to my surprise. And here I was thinking Disney wanted out of Netflix?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I never imagined that the Stihl 070 chainsaw was so big! Must be 2stroke stages.

Must be the new strategy to prevent product clones... enter all dimensions in ångström.