Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Pheasants play the same role in the UK, though they are smaller and lighter.

One tried to get into my soft-top car at the time. Luckily it hit the A-Post, not the windscreen. Car was a Panther Callista(Morgan copy).
Nice car, windscreen wouldn't have survived. Left some feathers stuck under soft-top, looked like it had eyebrows...

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/pheasant

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here, the most annoying big bird to crash into your car are eagle owls...

:hooters:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here, the most annoying big bird to crash into your car are eagle owls...

:hooters:

Buzzards down here. These adrenaline junkies made it a sport to do llow-altitude (read: 1 to 2 meters) passes over the Autobahn at heavy traffic during summer. They seem to especially enjoy the turbulences in the wake of big trucks.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And another first of the year:

The A27 between Bremerhaven and Cuxhaven is closed until tomorrow morning because of a sand storm. :blink:

Generally, lots of schools are closing their doors tomorrow because of heavy snowfall and storm in the north. A very strong lake effect there.

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

In case somebody else could also like it:

http://www.moog.com/literature/MCG/synchrohbook.pdf

The Moog Synchro and Resolver Engineering Handbook.

A pretty good summary about all those old electromechanic components used especially in inertial navigation systems.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm sure something like this was used in sound-followers for 16mm separate-magnetic machine. We had a Sondor that was a stand alone m/c and could be patched to follow the telecine machine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondor

http://www.sondor.ch/products/sondor.html

Gosh, older than I thought. Beautifully built, all going out the door when I started sadly.

Edit:Wrong! "They are noted as inventing the standard for bi-phase interlocking pulse signals to sync sound to film."
Not the same thing at all

N.

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Just found the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson at a garage sale. In good shape too and bargain price.. I'm on cloud nine.

Edit: a large interplanetary ship departing with a hundred colonists in 2026? sounds familiar :D

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
You JUST found the Mars Trilogy??!?

Oh, man, you're in for an interesting read.

Oh, heads up... It does get a little soap opera great later in the series. Fair warning.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I haven't read Robinson's Mars Trilogy yet; it's on my list.

But I did read his novel Ice Henge, which is a fantastic story, really loved it. It doesn't officially take place in the same universe as the Mars Trilogy; it's very similar but Robinson says it's not really the same, some things were changed in the Trilogy to suit the story better.

steph

Reaction score
You JUST found the Mars Trilogy??!?

Oh, man, you're in for an interesting read.

Oh, heads up... It does get a little soap opera great later in the series. Fair warning.
Well, after reading Rama 2 and 3, it can't be worse. To be honest, even the last Space Odyssey book was wildly different from the previous ones, although I'm not sure soap opera is the right word..

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Enjoyed the Rama trilogy, did get a bit sociological at the end( I would have shot the lot)

The Mars series went on a bit, too many characters for me, lost track of who was doing what and why. Nothing new there though...

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, after reading Rama 2 and 3, it can't be worse. To be honest, even the last Space Odyssey book was wildly different from the previous ones, although I'm not sure soap opera is the right word..

I suspect that Clarke didn't do much of the writing on those, leaving it to Gentry Lee. The tone of the writing dramatically shifted when he started co-writing with Lee. Clarke was getting up there in years at the time, too, so I suspect he was leaving the heavy lifting for Lee. Just my personal theory, anyway.

I never cared much for Clarke's novels to begin with; Rama 1 was an exception, but I much preferred his short stories. After reading Rama 2 and Odyssey 3 I quit reading Clarke's later novels.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Speaking of sci fi, I just saw the film "Annihilation" starring Natalie Portman. Really good sci fi story, very intense film, and pretty disturbing. I'm not a Portman fan, but I gotta hand it to her, she was great in this. The soundtrack was really good, too. The portrayal of alien life as beautiful and creepy at the same time was very compelling. Recommend.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Enjoyed the Rama trilogy, did get a bit sociological at the end( I would have shot the lot)

That is like saying you liked Starship Troopers, but not the final 200 pages (out of 263) of getting terribly lectured by Heinlein in it.... :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not impressed by Starship Troopers, looked like they had fun making the movie though.
Maybe the book is better?

N.