Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Video unavailable. In France, at least
Sorry about that.

If you do a search for "Kenneth Branagh, Henry V, St. Crispin's day speech", hopefully it will come up.
Not a great Branagh fan, but he does this well I think.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Several inches of snow have fallen, country in chaos.
It's interesting they recommend a temp of 18°C in living rooms. It's 15°C currently in my home (all heating off) but I don't really notice as one gets used to it. But I guess to most people it would feel inconvenient. 18°C is probably a good target temp.

Btw, lots of people are curious on how to heat the rooms to 18° without having a thermometer or thermostat. I don't know about other countries but in Germany it usually means a setting of 2,5 (1= 12°, 2= 16°, 3= 20°, 4= 24° and 5= 28°). But the thermostat is incorporated into the knob...

More important: air your rooms on a regular basis even and especially during winter. There is nothing better than fresh air (besides clean water). I got a Co2 indicator and it's interesting to see it dropping to ambient/atmospheric level just within minutes. It never rises beyond 600ppm (when I air about 3 times a day).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
More important: air your rooms on a regular basis even and especially during winter. There is nothing better than fresh air (besides clean water). I got a Co2 indicator and it's interesting to see it dropping to ambient/atmospheric level just within minutes. It never rises beyond 600ppm (when I air about 3 times a day).

The fresh air is especially helpful, if your children have the flu.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I already had snow but it got warmer and instead of snow it started to rain going out into the street you get on the ice like in hockey

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
You thermostats are not calibrated to °C? Ours are to °F except the really cheapie electric plug-in ones. Mine’s digital.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I gave the tutorial in dwarf fortress a go, and it's good, but it chooses your embark location for you. At some point I zoomed out to the world map to see where I am, and found myself dead smack in the middle of wide-ranging goblin country. They've basically got the entire continent to themselves, with some light encroachment by humans at the coasts, and only my fort and an elven village on the inner continent.
This "tutorial" game might get rather interesting...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I gave the tutorial in dwarf fortress a go, and it's good, but it chooses your embark location for you. At some point I zoomed out to the world map to see where I am, and found myself dead smack in the middle of wide-ranging goblin country. They've basically got the entire continent to themselves, with some light encroachment by humans at the coasts, and only my fort and an elven village on the inner continent.
This "tutorial" game might get rather interesting...

What I found toughest so far is the new user interface. It is quite a challenge to get used to the new keybindings. First fortress already succumbed to a Bronze Collossus here, after a bug in the pathfinding made the planters refuse to plant any plump helmet on any farm plot at the soil level, so half the fortress already starved to death while I was trying to find a work around.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I found toughest so far is the new user interface. It is quite a challenge to get used to the new keybindings.
I never got used to the legacy interface, so I like the new one a lot. It has some hickups, like for example not being able to clone tasks in a workshop which leads to a whole lot of clicking through menus, but for a change I actually start to feel like I understand what I'm doing...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re above KennethB Henry V. KB also did good work on a 2001 film "Conspiracy" about the Wannasee Conference.
Excellent cast, chilling.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Hello friends, I have a question:
I am making a mesh of the famous Luna3 Probe.
I want to achieve a chrome material, that is, a metal that reflects like a mirror, like this photo:
Luna-3_(14562265547).jpg
So far my progress is this.
Screenshot_20221213_000548.jpg
I know it's not a big deal and I still have a long way to go to finish it. However I want to try the chrome metallic material.

What values do I have to set in D3D9 Mesh Debug to achieve the "chrome" effect?

Thanks in advance.

diogom

Reaction score
I know it's not a big deal and I still have a long way to go to finish it. However I want to try the chrome metallic material.

I'd say it's best if you play around with the settings, but in any case Smoothness and Metalness are the ones to look out for, on the PBR shader. Start with high smoothness and adjust metalness to taste, and iterate on the smoothness to get that "shiny but not completely mirror like" effect.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello friends, I have a question:
I am making a mesh of the famous Luna3 Probe.
I want to achieve a chrome material, that is, a metal that reflects like a mirror, like this photo:
View attachment 31682
So far my progress is this.
View attachment 31683

Thanks in advance.
Use Metallic shader and play with the Smoothness and Metallic material properties.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
How anybody could ever think that you get that kind of money by being decent in any relevant sense of the term is beyond me...
Well, I don't really care about his money. Being rich doesn't make one decent automatically. I was more impressed of him as a visionary and how he managed to convince NASA and its decision makers for example. And also a few things he said in interviews that really seemed to make a lot of sense.

He always was on the dark side of White & Nerdy.
Thanks for mentioning. I wasn't sure whether to mention the white-part or better not. But that's what I was thinking: 50+ and white. Doesn't apply to everyone but it seems to be one of the requirements for becoming a verbal idiot these days...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Being rich doesn't make one decent automatically.
Quite the opposite. As I said, I don't think it's possible to become that rich by being decent. Because you don't become that rich without choosing money over people and relationships, over and over again.
I was more impressed of him as a visionary
In my experience, there's only two kinds of true visionaries: People monomonaically obsessed with a particular idea, and people monomonaically obsessed with themselves. Both can have their uses, and both are potentially dangerous.
Doesn't apply to everyone but it seems to be one of the requirements for becoming a verbal idiot these days...
Age probably has something to do with it, since it tends to emphasise personality traits. A narcissist will only become more so the older they get. White might have some peripheral influence, as it's somewhat ingrained in our culture that we're entitled to saying whatever the hell we want, while in many other cultures (also many "white" cultures... though honestly, I don't really get where the distinction is drawn exactly. The contrast seems to be turned way up nowadays, creating an utterly useless cultural model) people take a bit of a dimmer view on that. But in my experience, being an idiot is certainly not the sole priviledge of white people...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
White might have some peripheral influence, as it's somewhat ingrained in our culture that we're entitled to saying whatever the hell we want, while in many other cultures (also many "white" cultures... though honestly, I don't really get where the distinction is drawn exactly. The contrast seems to be turned way up nowadays, creating an utterly useless cultural model) people take a bit of a dimmer view on that.

I'm having trouble parsing this. Is something missing, or is the closing paren in the wrong place?

Actually, I think I may have just successfully parsed it: the parenthetical is maybe a bit long to have something after it in the same sentence (something that I've been guilty of on more than one occasion).

But yeah, we take freedom of speech to be sacred in the modern West, but it is much less popular to hold the words of the Apostle James equally sacred:

James 3 said:
Now if we put the bits into the horses’ mouths so that they will obey us, we direct their entire body as well. Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things.

See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.

Whatever value you put on the government not having the authority to muzzle people, it is still a virtue to have control of your own tongue.