Humor Random Comments Thread

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I spoke to him few mins ago. He said: "But on this adobe course they've told us that composite black is much deeper and better looking than pure black, so I used composite to enchance contrast." :facepalm:

I can understand that printing is quite vast area of knowledge to grasp but FFS that one is the first rule of DTP: every black text under 40pt should use pure black.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But on this adobe course they've told us that composite black is much deeper and better looking than pure black, so I used composite to enchance contrast

And there I was, thinking that key serves to have a deeper black (and save color, of course) :lol:

Well, I blame it on the course, then. Courses can't replace a serious apprenticeship, where an enraged printer will beat such nonsense out of your head. I'm rather unknowledgable on the area, but I learn a lot from listening to my wife ranting about it...

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And there I was, thinking that key serves to have a deeper black (and save color, of course) :lol:

In most simple words:
You cannot have black using only CMY so K was added to provide it. You can now have pure black which in fact is very very dark grey and deep black aka composite black which is really black but uses all 4 colours (mixing is dependent on specific printer/machine).

All would be great but for some printing techniques composite black can cause some problems.

For home inkjet and laser printers and my large scale printer (Roland RS640) problem is virtually undetectable as print head applies all 4 inks at the same time so dots are placed in precise locations.

The problem arises in off-set printing where piece of paper goes through 4 separate parts (usually 1 meter apart) each aplying one of the colors. There is no way to physically align paper that precise and you have blurred letters.

As usual one picture is worth 1000 words so I made simulation (file is of course in RGB but I but it was prepred in CMYK using off-set coated color profile )

You can see the difference between pure and composite black. Below there is a text in composite black where typical error is simulated.

off-set_error.png

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

In fact I shouldn't use word error - it's more of technology limitation. In typical modern off-set printing machine piece of paper goes through all 4 printing cylinders in ~0.2 - 0.3 second

MattBaker

Reaction score
I don't recall that Deutsche Bahn had so much problem with snow during the winter I was in Germany as it did with construction that spring.

Well, Deutsche Bahn always has trouble, either with snow, their trains or construction. But there's surely a difference between the North and the South, although Northern Germany had a lot of snow in the past few winters. But I remember how I traveled to Austria a few weeks ago and while driving with the ÖBB I was perfectly on time even on my way back when it snowed heavily. But the Austrians still managed to drive through the Alps with no problems. And then I was standing in Munich: "An information of Deutsche Bahn: Your train..."
Not to mention that it had like -10°C, but I'm OK with that.
And the Munich Tram also fails during the winter, whenever you're in Munich and want to use the Tram in the Winter they're not driving. And the situation in Berlin and their S-Bahn (basically whole Berlin is not functioning, no airport, no S-Bahn...) is basically the same.
And then people are wondering why so many Germans still don't use public transportation instead of cars...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, Deutsche Bahn always has trouble, either with snow, their trains or construction. But there's surely a difference between the North and the South, although Northern Germany had a lot of snow in the past few winters. But I remember how I traveled to Austria a few weeks ago and while driving with the ÖBB I was perfectly on time even on my way back when it snowed heavily. But the Austrians still managed to drive through the Alps with no problems. And then I was standing in Munich: "An information of Deutsche Bahn: Your train..."
Not to mention that it had like -10°C, but I'm OK with that.
And the Munich Tram also fails during the winter, whenever you're in Munich and want to use the Tram in the Winter they're not driving. And the situation in Berlin and their S-Bahn (basically whole Berlin is not functioning, no airport, no S-Bahn...) is basically the same.
And then people are wondering why so many Germans still don't use public transportation instead of cars...

I thought the DB was probably one of the best railways in the world...... :shifty:

..... which really puts the excellent service and reliability of railways in Japan even further ahead from those of other countries (as I experienced several times during the past few years).

MattBaker

Reaction score
I quote: "We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and Second Hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there bravely while the rest retr [...] Mazarbul. We still ho[...]g ... but hope u[...]n[...]Óin’s party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at West-gate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep."

Out of the books of Mazarbul, named after the hall of records, which the Fellowship found in Moria together with the dead dwarves.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Completely disassembled my laptop to get to the fan. It was barely dirty. So I removed the whole cooling system and found... one hell of a mess. Cooling paste in generous ammounts smeared everywhere around the chip, although there were two small, very shiny honed areas that practically scream "put paste on ME... but just a tiny bit!!"

So I cleaned it off, put new paste on in more reasonable ammounts, and screwed the thing together again. First impressions are good, with the fan being barely audible at startup instead of the frantic whirring from before, but it has yet to face a real test.

To my embarassment, I have six screws left. Despite checking very carefully after every step whether there are still marked holes. If it was a motorbike, I would disassemble it again. But it's not my first laptop that doesn't have all its screws together...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't get the reference...
It's a Lord of the Rings reference. A host of dwarves returned to their ancient, abandoned (with good reason) halls of Khazad-dûm (called later Moria.) Spoiler: It didn't go well. "We cannot get out" were some of the last written words in their journal, called by Gandalf the book of Mazarbul.

Here it is finished:
Postcard2.jpg

Yes, it's ugly and amateur-quality. But I am an amateur, after all.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it's ugly and amateur-quality. But I am an amateur, after all.

TBH this skull overlay would look pretty nice printed with transparent glossy overlay when rest printed in matte

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
To my embarassment, I have six screws left.
Laptops always have too many screws and too few holes to fit them. Desktops on the other hand, too many holes and too few screws. :p

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Laptops always have too many screws and too few holes to fit them. Desktops on the other hand, too many holes and too few screws. :p

That's why I always canibalize old PC indented for dissasembly for all precious screws he may have.