Humor Random Comments Thread

MattBaker

Reaction score
Seen both in Germany. I prefer snow. Snow is annoying and kills more people in Germany than tornadoes, but it happens more often and the danger of snow is scaling inverse to quantity. One snowflake causes strangely more damage than half a meter of snow in the flat land. OK, I prefer Tornadoes.

Well, as someone who lived ina reas where you had like half a meter of snow in one day I always come to the conclusion that the problem is not the snow, but how the people aren't prepared or how our railway system struggels with a few centimeters of snow.
I especially love the news reports: "10 centimeters of snow! Is the world going to end?" Well, it's January what do you expect?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The railway system will become especially funny in the summer, when the air conditioning in trains, for which you pay as much as for an airline ticket for the same distance, will fail when air temperatures outside exceed 32°C, resulting in inside temperatures from 50°C to 70°C. (The AC system uses only air, no liquid coolant)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
You'd love it. A favorite anecdote of a columnist I used to follow -- he used to fly for a regional airline: They used to have a game every time they'd leave a northern state (like New York or Massachusetts) to fly south to Florida. When they landed and pulled up to the gate, one of the flight crew would immediately get out of the plane, run down the staircase, and dig out the snow left in the gear wells from their departure city.

It wasn't hard to form that snow into snowballs, and simultaneously educate the local baggage and aircraft handlers on what snow was all about. ;)

:rofl: Good thing that they didn't do that at SMF! I would have beaten them to it! If I ever get another flightline job, I'll remember that one. :)

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
The winds woke me up at 5:30. It was pretty nasty, but no tornado's in my area.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I hope that all Midwest Orbinauts are OK - huge thunderstorms with tornadoes all over the place right now (in January!) ....... :huh:

It was pretty wild where I live. For hours ahead of the storm front, the winds were strong and sustained.

We had a tornado warning for our county, east of me, so not as much threat. Fortunately there was no damage and the warning was quickly cancelled. Double fortunate, in that the county's emergency sirens failed to activate when commanded.

They are troubleshooting the issue and testing the sirens this afternoon.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well, as someone who lived ina reas where you had like half a meter of snow in one day I always come to the conclusion that the problem is not the snow, but how the people aren't prepared or how our railway system struggels with a few centimeters of snow.
I especially love the news reports: "10 centimeters of snow! Is the world going to end?" Well, it's January what do you expect?

I don't recall that Deutsche Bahn had so much problem with snow during the winter I was in Germany as it did with construction that spring. RE2 (I forget if it was renumbered for this) was diverted to a route through Calau that officially took something like half an hour longer, but had difficulty managing even that: most weekdays it ended up so far behind going from Cottbus to Berlin that it terminated well short of its destination (which ISTR was Potsdamer Platz while the alternate route was in effect).

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just watching a movie called "Rat Race" seems quite recent? Reminds me of an old move called "Its a mad mad mad World"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ir-3VxEjvo"]"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" - The Flying Scenes - YouTube[/ame]

N.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Ctrl-S...F5...:censored:...Ctrl-S...F5...:censored:

rinse and repeat. Gotta love dem syntax errors.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So the cooling system of my laptop is so severly underpowered for the CPU that the casing can set paper on fire... well, probably. I'm not inclined to try. Thanks a lot, hp! :facepalm:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
So the cooling system of my laptop is so severly underpowered for the CPU that the casing can set paper on fire... well, probably. I'm not inclined to try. Thanks a lot, hp! :facepalm:

No need to worry about having more children then?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

Before I got a cooling pad (thing), my laptop would be painfully hot at times. I believe it shuts down just before the cores can boil water.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Random comment: You've surpassed my post count in about a quarter of the time. :p

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Paul McGann got the short end of the stick. A dismal movie and no series time (but at least he got radio/audio play).

I missed out on that. Watched a season or two back in the Tom Baker days and the one after him. But a move interrupted that and it pretty much dropped off my radar until I noticed it one day on the cable guide.

Been pretty steady with it until this past season which I've missed entirely thanks to RL.

This new 'incarnation' is so well written and has such amazingly long and subtle 'arcs' it makes me wonder if the older show was anywhere near as well written(Having watched a season or two back in the Tom Baker days may well be seen as implying that I would know this, but it seems that I was usually under the influence of something or other, especially when watching Dr. Who or SNL.):rolleyes:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I don't even think about keeping this thing on my lap... It's unusable just on batteries anyways. It gives so little power to the fan when running on batteries that it overheats after 15 minutes of browsing (no streamming). I wanted to take out the fan to clean stuff up and put some new paste on there, but of course the fan is covered by the main casing, so I have to literally screw the whole thing appart to get to it. This laptop is the most serious misconstruction I have ever seen. Then again, you don't look a gifthorse in the mouth...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Day three since the dentist... and more toothache, not less, despite taking painkillers already. I really hate it.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sometimes I want to strangle my customers.

Which part of sentence: "Text color has to be defined in folowing values: C:0 M:0 Y:0 K:100" is so hard to grasp, especially that project was done by "designer" with Adobe Illustrator certificate.

My reply to customer: Either you send corrected project file in 3 hours or we can correct it for additional 30% of order value.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think the writing is better for the "new" series Doctor. The original series were broken down into much smaller blocks; I think if they were writing for a 42 minute show it would have been much better.

Some of the books are excellent (I recommend "Sands of Time", it can/could be found as a free e-book on the Dr's BBC website).

John Pertwee was my first Doctor, but I did see a few episodes with Patrick Troughton. Matt Smith is pretty good, seems to blend the 2nd and 4th Doctors together, with a generous helping of the 10th.

The most recent 3 companions were all excellent, and this newest one is a serious hottie.