Humor Random Comments Thread

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Still I think it is the right investment. Such a WAN is an important infrastructure and AFAIR Australia is still lacking competitive backbones, except the ocean cables.

I think in the long run, such an investment will pay out for Australia - and that is the goal of all serious government spending.
True enough, I guess I am a little in shock of the money being spent around here lately - spending worth some 4.7% of GDP announced in the last six months, plus this broadband plan, plus a predicted further stimulus package later in the calendar year. GULP.

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
<no comments>
fg.jpg

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
True enough, I guess I am a little in shock of the money being spent around here lately - spending worth some 4.7% of GDP announced in the last six months, plus this broadband plan, plus a predicted further stimulus package later in the calendar year. GULP.

A quick calculation, At $70 a month with 5 million subscribers, it will take 10 years to pay of the 43 billion.

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If i send an email to an real astronaught
preferably one of those who walked on the moon
will he respond to my email ?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
A quick calculation, At $70 a month with 5 million subscribers, it will take 10 years to pay of the 43 billion.
Not bad I guess for what is being described as the "Snowy-Hydro of our time". $70 would be pretty typical for a DSL/landline telephony bundle wouldn't it (pretty close to what I pay)?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Not bad I guess for what is being described as the "Snowy-Hydro of our time". $70 would be pretty typical for a DSL/landline telephony bundle wouldn't it (pretty close to what I pay)?

That is what Japan pays(100MBit/ Bundled landline), TSP can get that for $60.

So I would expect that would be a good starting post. That said even at $150 I would expect a large uptake too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some random venting, after a lousy day........

I have to confess: While I can emotionally hate the marketing strategy behind the band Eisblume, I must admit that their girl can really sing... contrary to some other bands who also aim at the growing market of feeble Emos.

One reason more to play "Keine Amnestie für MTV" (No amnesty for MTV - yeah, german can be simple, but we usually don't want to) right after listening to the new Subway To Sally CD (which has a nice duet with her). The whole music marketing stuff and the big labels actually somehow ruin the music in my eyes. It all gets fleeting in their hands, despite some stuff actually being by itself better than the bulk of the music these companies produce. In the past, such a band would have spent some years with being known only to few fans and experts, and growing slowly, with the early albums one day becoming classics. Today, the band gets marketed in such a replaceable way, that they will be forgotten and replaced by the next hype in a few months.

In the past, you did not get the band pressed into your ears by the unified media complex. You listened to their songs in a small club or saw them on one of the many little or large festivals. Maybe they had been supporting act for a more famous act (that way, I learned about Joint Venture or Regicide). You developed sympathy first, liked them even when the singer was so drunk on stage, that the lead guitarist had to fill a 15 minute gap with a solo, because the singer got lost in the WC. If you remembered the band after your head cleared up, you bought their CD.

Today, you learn to hate the band before you had even a chance to develop any sympathy or admiration. You see so much nonsense of the band and so little of their music, that you have no chance to not get sick of them. You have to listen to 10 second ring tone snippets, which are all sounding alike - and are ugly. And the music has to be written to be suitable as ring tone, which makes it all sound like children tunes.

It is really annoying, how little the music industry is actually about music.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Urwumpe: Couldn't have said it better. Well stated.

We are in the culture of the cultivated one-hit-wonders. Hype up and market a band or artist to the point that they have one, maybe two good songs that sell really well, be it through CDs or downloads, just enough to give the record company a little spike in their profits so they can stay afloat. Give them a tour, maybe some talk show appearances, musical guest on a show, then move on to the next big band/artist to emerge. No originality, no longevity, no classic hits that people will remember for decades to come. A mountain of forgettable music that has no meaning, no merit, only a catchy tune and politically correct lyrics. Throw it on a compilation CD for that year and the record company makes a few more bucks for that song.

"I went down to the sacred store, where I'd heard the music years before. But the man there said the music wouldn't play." - Don McClean, American Pie. That song speaks to me on so many levels, even though I know what the original meanings of the lyrics are.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
@Urwumpe

[churchy Gregorian Chant baritone] Ahhhhhhh-men. Ahhhhhhhh-men. Amen. Amen. Ahhhhhhhh-men.[/churchy Gregorian Chant baritone] (Actually I pronounce it more like 'Awmen', when I don't use the more modern Englishy 'Ay-MEN,' but what the heck...)

Preach it Brother!!!!

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I don't know why it is, but sometimes it seems like a newb rubs a few of our members the wrong way and gets brutalized with very open hostility. I'm not talking about who you think I am.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't know why it is, but sometimes it seems like a newb rubs a few of our members the wrong way and gets brutalized with very open hostility. I'm not talking about who you think I am.

I think you are right in general. But of course, I also see special exceptions, who need some loud "RTFM/RTTB" before they finally start to do something against their newbishness.

It is no crime to be a newb - but it is a crime to not do something against it. And just declaring "Bow before me, for I am a pro", is not a way to get respected.

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just realized who is the pilot of the DG. Sorry for all the past crashes and unsuccessful reentries...

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What's with this new 'no religion' rule? Half the fun of coming onto such an international discussion forum is hearing everyone's opinion on things.
Also, a discussion, by it's very nature, will offend someone. Otherwise we'll all just be sitting here nodding our heads and saying "yes, very true." Discussions cause friction, discussions cause a little offense but discussions also help others form ideas, and help everyone understand the world a bit better.
I think it's pretty sad that we can't do that any more.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
What's with this new 'no religion' rule? Half the fun of coming onto such an international discussion forum is hearing everyone's opinion on things.
Also, a discussion, by it's very nature, will offend someone. Otherwise we'll all just be sitting here nodding our heads and saying "yes, very true." Discussions cause friction, discussions cause a little offense but discussions also help others form ideas, and help everyone understand the world a bit better.
I think it's pretty sad that we can't do that any more.

There's no point in arguing with someone who has an absolute power over your user account and can change rules at his own discretion. A good thing however, is that emigration is easy. It takes just closing a tab in your browser and going elsewhere.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
True, Sibtig. It just makes me a little sad that something I've enjoyed so much over the past few years is no longer allowed.