Humor Random Comments Thread

Unstung

Reaction score
Related to this earlier comment:

Wvob8Pq.gif

I just found it interesting, that's all.

The first two designs are for the Europa Clipper proposal. The only difference in the second one I know of is that the team switched to using solar panels. The third design was released when NASA selected nine instruments for the official Europa mission. The multi-flyby concept offers great value so I'm glad NASA went with, essentially, the Europa Clipper.

Now for something completely irrelevant: I replaced the CPU of an aging computer. The first time I installed it I just put a dab of thermal paste on the middle. I decided that was dumb when the CPU hit 70C. So I went back in and re-installed the CPU with a thin layer of paste, and now it runs 5-10C cooler. Huge improvement. Remember to spread a thin layer of your paste across it evenly, kids.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The cooling paste must be thin!

It's a common mistake to add too much of it on the CPU when installing. People think that more paste means more heat transfer, but every material acts as an insulator and the thicker it is, the more it insulates.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Remember to spread a thin layer of your paste across it evenly, kids.

Also remember not to spread it with your fingers if you don't want a fried CPU :lol:

On another note, ms-sql-server on locadb: disconnect, restart service, reconnect. Pretty much before any significant action, or it won't work. Makes you wonder why they didn't build it in as an automated action. It's like inversing the bloody polarity...

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
USMC at work here at Munich Airport...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czjd9mgbC-8"]G7-Vorbereitung Flughafen München - YouTube[/ame]

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
The first two designs are for the Europa Clipper proposal. The only difference in the second one I know of is that the team switched to using solar panels. The third design was released when NASA selected nine instruments for the official Europa mission. The multi-flyby concept offers great value so I'm glad NASA went with, essentially, the Europa Clipper.

It sparked my curiosity to see the third design depart so much from the previous established Europa Clipper baseline (w/ and w/o solar arrays). I wonder if it's possible to find some PDFs on it...?

Oh, and Airbus unveiled a design for a reusable rocket, to be integrated into a Ariane 6 variant if approved. Good luck Airbus...

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I like how the article acknowledges that economical reusable launch vehicles aren't as easy as they sound.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it just my impression, or do rocket concepts look more and more like they did in 60ies scifi?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is it just my impression, or do rocket concepts look more and more like they did in 60ies scifi?

Sort of. But then, thats just design. Nobody in the 60ies really imagined things to turn out THAT way.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I see reusable tail-sitting nuclear thermal engined rockets, then I'll be convinced that 60s tech has finally arrived.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was more speaking in a visual sense, really. First we had this beauty:

300px-Skylon_front_view.jpg

Now we're getting rockets with large tailfins...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was more speaking in a visual sense, really. First we had this beauty:

Now we're getting rockets with large tailfins...

Yup. I must say that I always thought the small fins on the Saturn V are a big part of its visual appeal. Not too cartoonishly large, but large enough to add character to the giant beast.

iu

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
I've heard plans to send nuclear reactors to Mars to heat up the surface and release CO2, and I'm wondering...would using RTG's be a safer and cheaper option?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've heard plans to send nuclear reactors to Mars to heat up the surface and release CO2, and I'm wondering...would using RTG's be a safer and cheaper option?

Not that much cheaper at least - you need power for that and RTGs are low power. Also safer is relative. We had no meltdown in space yet, despite many nuclear reactor powered satellites in history.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much protests if a reactor blew up on Mars... You might even be able to sell it as a "save testing program" :lol:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never cared much for horse racing, but a week before the Kentucky Derby this year I happened to take a tour of Churchill Downs and the Derby museum, which kind of got me excited to see what would come in the next few weeks. Looks like I picked exactly the right time to start paying attention to the sport, because a few minutes ago I got to see the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years, American Pharaoh.

iu

Now I can safely go back to not caring about the sport for a few more decades, since this is a pretty rare event to witness!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After spending most of the day with a little red-headed 4 year old, I've concluded that I'm... getting old.

Seriously exhausted. The old adage that youth is wasted on the young has never been more true to me.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The family got custody, but we have very liberal "visitation", more like we get her anytime, we've just got to arrange it. No less than every other weekend and one night a week.

Once we got to talk (actually talk without the meth-mom around) they're actually really nice. They've got a daughter a few years older than ours, and those two hit it off after just a few minutes. We're all OK with the arrangements, with the exception of the meth-mom (but seriously, who cares?). Coppertop is the clear winner, and that's what important.

I took a few pictures today, if I can muster up the energy I'll throw them up on the bloggity thing.