Humor Random Comments Thread

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
I'd recommend a basic used car - I am not sure where you are so I can't suggest anything more specific than that.

Philippines - I'm pretty sure I won't be getting even one of the less-fancy cars from Volkswagen or something, it'll most likely be something from Toyota.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Philippines - I'm pretty sure I won't be getting even one of the less-fancy cars from Volkswagen or something, it'll most likely be something from Toyota.

Toyota Hilux. They are near indestructible.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

My wife drives a 2004 Toyota Corolla. It's a pretty good car. I don't if that applies to more recent model years, but they seem to work.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
My car, a 2005 Honda Civic, has 280,000 miles on it. If I were on a free return trajectory to the moon I'd be on my way home now.

If your Civic had been launched out of the factory onto a free return trajectory to the moon, it would have (actually, would have had) zero miles on it. If you were in the car, your vacuum-dried corpse would have been incinerated a decade ago, along with the car, when it reentered the atmosphere about six days after launch.

:shifty:

Did I take that analogy too far?

Anyways, be grateful you are not on a lunar free return trajectory in a Honda Civic.

:leaving:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
With all the car talk going around, i'm about to get my driver's license and i'm deciding on what car should I buy...

Toyota light pickup, late 1980s/ early 1990s
Mazda pickup, similar years
Honda Civic, again, similar years

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Volkswagen is no cheap car brand, if you can get a good used one though, feel proud - those last a while.

No, as true Wolfsburg citizen, I of course have to make sure you don't buy from Toyota :rofl: ... what about an Indian car? Not sure, how urban you live, but a Tata Sumo has some appeal, looks like the small Indian brother of the old Mercedes G class. Also it looks like something that requires no special tools for repairing. WD40 and duct tape might be enough.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
Volkswagen is no cheap car brand, if you can get a good used one though, feel proud - those last a while.

No, as true Wolfsburg citizen, I of course have to make sure you don't buy from Toyota :rofl: ... what about an Indian car? Not sure, how urban you live, but a Tata Sumo has some appeal, looks like the small Indian brother of the old Mercedes G class. Also it looks like something that requires no special tools for repairing. WD40 and duct tape might be enough.

:rofl:

Well, my place is pretty "urban", its actually one of the worst places in the world that you would want to drive in.

uxhqp7a.jpg

This was taken around at around 1 in the morning, and most of the time the national highway is almost always clogged with traffic, thanks to inadequate public transportation facilities and citizens who, for most of the time, don't follow traffic regulations.

I'd really like a car that's pretty fuel efficient, even if idling (idk if that made any sense), as sometimes you have to wait for an hour or two for the traffic to go away, and I usually can't bear turning the AC off.

My dad had a Toyota Corolla a few years ago (don't know what model though), and it has done its job pretty well but I'm looking to see if there's any newer cars that can do better while at the same price.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:rofl:

Well, my place is pretty "urban", its actually one of the worst places in the world that you would want to drive in.

You need no car. You need a mountain-bike and a COPV with oxygen. Is the distance to work lower than 20 km? :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
You need no car. You need a mountain-bike and a COPV with oxygen. Is the distance to work lower than 20 km? :lol:

Indeed. If I had to sit in traffic for an hour every day, I'd try to forget the car and go out and walk, but that probably isn't a great option in the heat of the Philippines.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Just read a heartbreaking "story":

"Goodbye mission control. Thanks for trying."

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Adam_Elsheimer_-_Die_Flucht_nach_%C3%84gypten_%28Alte_Pinakothek%29.jpg

There are four sources of light in the painting: the moon is accurately depicted and reflects off the calm water. There is a fire near the shepherds at left, where the family is headed. At the centre of the composition, Joseph holds a torch that illuminates Mary and the infant, who are riding an ass. The heavily treed landscape behind them is almost black, its outline forming a diagonal across the sky and completely containing the foreground figures. The diagonal is echoed in the night sky by the intricate band of the Milky Way, and detailed configurations of stars are seen, including Ursa Major at far left. Elsheimer is thought to be the first painter to accurately depict constellations.[3] Another readily identifiable constellation is Leo, above the Holy Family, with its brightest star, Regulus, in the centre of the picture.[1] It has been proposed that Elsheimer reworked the painting in 1610, after the publication of Galileo's Sidereus Nuncius, which showed the Milky Way as composed of individual stars and showed the moon's surface in unprecedented detail.[4] This hypothesis has been contested by Elsheimer scholar Keith Andrews.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_into_Egypt_(Elsheimer)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Volkswagen is no cheap car brand,

Which is kind of sad. Used to be the Beetle was a great economy car. Now it's an effeminate look-alike of its former self suitable for nostalgic hippie wannabes, and has the engine in the wrong place.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The Thunder Chicken Wagon is back on the road! My air conditioner now also works. :huh: I had thought that the magnetic clutch was failing, but it now seems that the alternator wasn't able to send enough juice to the coil for it to engage. Two fixes for the price of one!

I washed the car and took it on a nice evening drive with the windows down and the radio on, just because. I like it when disorder becomes orderly again.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Which is kind of sad. Used to be the Beetle was a great economy car. Now it's an effeminate look-alike of its former self suitable for nostalgic hippie wannabes, and has the engine in the wrong place.

The only reason for buying a beetle today is that you think the Golf is too practical and not expensive enough.

I once owned a kit-car based on a '62 beetle but I never made it street legal. The engine was ruined so I decided just to have fun with it. A VW Transporter engine was a bit too much oumph, but it did some nice wheelies. :lol:

This guy went a bit further:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Clovis Acosta Fernandes died of cancer this week. :(

Really sad to hear here, many here in Germany really liked him.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score

:censored:

Um, wow, okay.

Well, in a severe case of Writer's Block with regards to writing material for my fictional space agency, so why not. Even though the Aquarius B1 + A-II launch vehicle project is on hold for a while, I've decided today to include a geostationary satellite which can be carried by the latter. So I began some work on it:

ysWzOMh.png

I'm affectionately calling it Rigel, based upon the the Mitsubishi DS2000 platform used for a few satellites as of now.