Donator
Reaction score
Inspired by MaverickSawyer's ChatBox salute to the A10 being re-funded:
picture.php

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That gun sounds more like buzzsaw on very unhealthy steroids than BRRRRRR, though :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That gun sounds more like buzzsaw on very unhealthy steroids than BRRRRRR, though :lol:

More like the fart of god. Which likely has the same effect.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You would sit around in Southern Europe and your day would sound like:

"My home directory exceeds the quota of 30 GB. Fix it!"
"You now have 30 GB free disk space available."
"Additionally to the 30 GB I already had?"
"No, instead of it."

:lol:

Also, "What web browser/file manager/terminal/video player can I use so that the window will fit properly onto a tiny 320x240 screen?" (Answer: none of them!)

Which leads back to that project I mentioned earlier,

m9q19O2.jpg

9QY7fMs.jpg

cmHV4J0.jpg

2amNu7X.jpg

7TJWFrG.jpg

2KFI1Jt.jpg

My geology classmates think its hilarious to refer to it as a "bomb". Hopefully noone takes that too literally :shifty:

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My geology classmates think its hilarious to refer to it as a "bomb". Hopefully noone takes that too literally

You could end up like a certain juvenile watchmaker lately... :shifty:

It's been described as the sound of God breaking wind.

Ok, I can see where that's coming form... The recordings I heard were "close-up" from test stands, so there were a lot more high frequencies. Hence the buzzsaw.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, I can see where that's coming form... The recordings I heard were "close-up" from test stands, so there were a lot more high frequencies. Hence the buzzsaw.

Depending on your relative location to the A-10, you get two sounds from the gun. The first is actually the sonic booms off of the supersonic rounds themselves (a stacatto high frequency rattling/cracking sound), the second is the sound of the gas being ejected from the barrels of the gun combined with the hum of the drive motor (the BRRRRTTT). Two sound sources not co-located, so there is a lag between them.

If you live to hear these sounds, that means the GAU-8 wasn't pointed at you. :lol:

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
A couple of years ago I was at the Axalp airshow/live-fire exercise in Switzerland and yes, such cannons sound like the jet had a bit too many beans for dinner. Those were "only" Vulcans and M39 cannons, however. :)

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
The last two pages of this thread have me cracking up, thanks guys. :lol:

Great news to hear the A-10's refunded, not so great for the ears when you've been hearing GAU-8 firings all night. :)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Maxim 5: Close air support and friendly fire should be easier to tell apart...

:lol:
He felt it was more like Maxim 20: If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win.

And the A-10 is flying embodiment of Maxim 37: There is no overkill. There is only 'open fire' and 'reload'.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
And the A-10 is flying embodiment of Maxim 37: There is no overkill. There is only 'open fire' and 'reload'.

The speed at which you can turn around a reloaded A-10 is impressive. This is a video of an integrated combat turn (ICT) done back in the 1980s.

In wartime they can do "hot" ICTs much faster with the engines running, just like a F1 pit stop. Jet pulls up at its stand, is refueled, chaff/flare refilled, gun loaded, weapons loaded, intel debrief and targeting assignment (done while standing on cockpit access ladder), and sent back on its merry way in 15 minutes (USAF standard). My old unit was cranking out ICTs in under 9 minutes.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Uh, that Bayern Munich that I just watched is the same team that was thrashed by Barcelona 6 months ago? :huh: