Reaction score
Savage

VHwEHvR.png

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Wow, that was harsh!

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Urwumpe said:
Just found out, that one of the few remaining still operating Zuse Z22 computers are standing in one outpost campus of the Ostfalia university, just one hour on the road B4 to the north, in the middle of the Lüneburg Heath ... Maybe I can find out when it will be booted again, should be interesting to still hear a drum memory/vacuum tube/core memory machine launch.

The Z22 was pretty popular at universities for some years, as early affordable computer (Did still cost the university 10,000 DM in 1970 to buy a used one). Also it was the reason why the German dub of "2001" had HAL sing "Hänschen Klein" instead of "Daisy Bell", because some years before, a Z22 already sang this German childrens song with some public notice. (The Z22 had a speaker as output device for debugging, which produced sounds based on the current state of the machine - and technicians used this speaker already early for electronic voice and sound experiments)

If you get to it, you should post it in the retro tech thread!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you get to it, you should post it in the retro tech thread!

I will sure not waste the chance to contribute something constructive to this thread :)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
E

ex-orbinaut

South American "Dakar" Rally starts today, bikes already gone, apparently. First international competition of the year?

However, I have been watching the Formula E since it began and find it very interesting, and not only because the names on the grid look like something from F1 in the late ´80s early ´90s. Fan Boost and car swapping mid race, it is zany! I would bet this is an up and coming category.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
One of my aunts does a lot with Ancestry.com. Turns out that my family came from the Rhein valley area in the 1600s - Mannheim, Strasbourg, Basel, and Bern; refugees from the Catholic Palatinate of the Rhine. Came to America in the late 1600s and formed part of the Pennsylvania Dutch (Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch) community.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What having a cold can teach you about project management: Even if you follow all best practises to the letter, the damn coughing is still keeping you from sleeping at night. :dry: Some processes simply need their time and can't be shortened.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Even if you follow all best practises to the letter, the damn coughing is still keeping you from sleeping at night.

I think the "best practice" in this case is imbibe rum/schnapps/vodka until you can't keep your eyes open and then sleep for about 27 hours.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the "best practice" in this case is imbibe rum/schnapps/vodka until you can't keep your eyes open and then sleep for about 27 hours.

Is sadly no option, would make a lot of things easier. But I need to be able to at least communicate by grunting noises during the usually business hours, since I am doing on-call duty right now... at least until we are again allowed to enter the facilities of our customer by having a contract for the next months with him.

Which is a lot more ironic because these facilities with my workstation are only a short walk away from my apartment.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Point. Try Nyquil instead.

Oh, and make sure to get the extended release version. The stuff that wears out after 4-6 hours is bad, as you'll be woken up by clogged sinuses at 0300. :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Point. Try Nyquil instead.

Oh, and make sure to get the extended release version. The stuff that wears out after 4-6 hours is bad, as you'll be woken up by clogged sinuses at 0300. :dry:

Not available in Germany, the closest product that Vick/Wick has to offer here is MediNait... which is only slightly better than the 18% alcohol it contains... which brings us back to the health benefits of Jack Daniels.

http://www.amiexpat.com/2007/05/24/nyquil-medinait-the-results-are-in/

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hot tea with honey, lemon and shot or two of brandy inside + massive dose of vitamin C.

Works for me.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I used to think it was best to just leave a cold to its own time-line. Cold remedies just seemed to suppress the symptoms, and the cold took longer to go.
Now I'm older and a wimp, and stuff myself with everything and whinge at everyone who comes close, which isn't many...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
cold_medicine.png

:lol:

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Me, before christmass: Configures cloud server firewall to only accept communication from inside our company's network.
Boss, after christmass: Switches out our hardware firewall, chaning our public IP.
Boss and me, now: DUH! :facepalm:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
The Expanse
Two hundred years in the future, in a fully colonized solar system, police detective Josephus Miller is given the assignment to find a missing young woman, Julie Mao. Joining his task is James Holden, former first officer of an ice freighter who is involved in an incident caused by the tense relationship between Earth, Mars and the Belt. Far from their struggles in space, United Nations executive Chrisjen Avasarala works to prevent war between Earth and Mars. Soon the three find out that the missing woman is connected to a vast conspiracy that threatens all humanity.

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=280619

The pilot looks good.