Humor Random Comments Thread

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
w6976h0.jpg

Not aimed at this site, but far too many sites are starting to restrict access if you use an ad blocker.

And I go to install ublock (origin version even), because I do not want AdBlock steal my RAM memory.
pqggnbOipZF-6cOJuBXrI7db5niHlhZqPoe9fRT5taBEmu5W6oJ2kqk0caDoMxGhrjW6FG1q=s640-h400-e365

latest

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, not sure who Skall is,(new to me, but he seems to know his threads) I suppose you never know who is lurking around here...
N.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I can understand why companies don't like ad blockers, but I can't see any justification for bashing them. You think it's wrong for people to not see your ads? You might as well tell them they are morally obligated not to leave their computers while the ad is running...

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I don't have any issues with non-invasive ads. The kind of things that AdBlock plus lets through. But ones that get in the way or are flashing or scams are intolerable for me.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which is what I don't understand here. Flashy, annoying ads that obstruct your navigation don't make you want to click on it. So why keep putting them in the first place?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which is what I don't understand here. Flashy, annoying ads that obstruct your navigation don't make you want to click on it. So why keep putting them in the first place?

Same reason why silly spam email with obvious spelling and grammar errors work: because the small percentage of people that do click on them produce enough revenue to make it worthwhile.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
cJmqz0L.gif

I care as much about Internet ads as I care about drink driving.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
First day during my holidays in the Westerwald region (at the border between Hessia and Rhineland-Palate) with internet access, not even a single mobile phone base station in sight here.

You have no idea how long a week without internet can be. My smartphone was practically just a brick with sound effects. Hard to imagine how to survive years like that...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hard to imagine how to survive years like that...
Huh? Smartphones with internet browsing ability appeared 5 to 10 year ago, depending on how rich you were.
Internet itself as a communication media became relevant about 10 years ago, before it was a giant data repository.

Clearly, people survived just fine.

And don't forget - about two thirds of the people on Earth have no internet access, and 20% have no electricity.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh? Smartphones with internet browsing ability appeared 5 to 10 year ago, depending on how rich you were.
Internet itself as a communication media became relevant about 10 years ago, before it was a giant data repository.

Clearly, people survived just fine.

And don't forget - about two thirds of the people on Earth have no internet access, and 20% have no electricity.

I'm with Urwumpe. I was a teenager in the 80s and I didn't even get a cell phone until about 2004, but once you have these devices you simply cannot go back and it's hard to even imagine how you lived without them.

It's to the point where if my computer breaks down I panic until I get a backup running. I use my computer for so many things, banking, paying bills, communication, processing sound and video and photos. Backups are an absolute must.

I went on a trip to Yosemite National Park a few years ago and for much of the time I had no cell signal, including in my hotel room. To make matters worse, my phone's charging jack got dorked up and I couldn't charge it.

I was fine without the phone, but people trying to reach me were now having problems.

So, yeah, we could go back, of course, I even remember those days, but we've grown so dependent on the stuff psychologically that it creates anxiety to be off the grid.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I only carry a cell phone because the Mrs. Cruiser insists on it. Facebook and other "social" media sites are not much more than time assasins. Although a mobile internet connection certainly is handy when I need to google search for something.

I just got a kindle paperwhite, love it (but I'm not giving up my paper books). My phone and tablet have the reader app, but they really aren't readers. Tablet was free and I use it at work to hold spreadsheet date for different jobs that we do (no safeguards or secure data, just stuff. Wouldn't make sense to anyone not at WBN).

Having tablet, reader and phone together is handy. Trying to read "The History of the Peloponnesian War" by Thucydides (and other stuff) in the original text is nice having a translation dictionary right there. People at work may ask me "Why?" People here may ask the same, but I know many here would understand.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
but once you have these devices you simply cannot go back and it's hard to even imagine how you lived without them.

It's really kind of weird... Since I was a boy I was the nerd of the family. You know, the one that "plays computer games all the time" (along with all the hacking that used to be necessary to get them to run in the olden days, of course). And while my family was among the late adopters for everything (including VHS-players, CD-Players, DVD-Players and of course the internet... didn't have a connection in the house until ADSL came around) I got to using it pretty quickly.

But by now, I'm the one depending on it the least. I never got comfortable typing on a cellphone and I have a very limited capacity for personal contacts and consider small-talk a crime against humanity, so Social Media accounts are right out of the question. Basically, if you took my smart phone away it would mean I had to carry a book or two and maybe a gameboy around with me instead, but that's the extent of the impact that they have on my (private) life.

If you take away my internet at home I'll get a decent bit dumber and will be really bored for a while (Iguess until I buy enoguh Legos, movies and books to compensate), but again that's pretty much that.

But somehow, I'm still the nerd, although the better part of my family would by now be utterly lost if you took away their phones and their interwebbs :lol:

Now as soon as I'm at work, the situation changes a bit, of course. I still don't need or use a smart phone other than for testing purposes, but I couldn't do my job without the internet. First because my job wouldn't exist without the internet, and second because the library needed to develop a decently complex application nowadays will put Alexandria to shame... :shifty:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm still mad about the Alexandria Library being sacked and burned. Such a loss of great works never to be seen again.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
While I apreciate convieniece of having few dozen books at a time with me on the tablet and ability to check my e-mail (working nescessity), I find it strange how poeple are now dependent on cellphones. And while I don't have problems with them being 24/7 available, I have problem with their expectations about me. People expect me to be reachable 24/7, to know where I am exactly, to answer the phone all the time.

People get offended if I don't pick up the phone two or three times and thay cannot understand that I might be busy with something else. I need some personal space in my life to remain sane and not many people around me understand it. I feel like everyone is on leash and is fine with it, while I refuse to put myself on it.

Funny thing is that my mother (which is late adopter of cellphone tech) shares my view and won't pester me with unnescessary calls. If I don't answer, she knows that I'll call her beck when I can. If there is emeregency she can write SMS "Call back - it's important" and then I'll call back. I wish everone was the same.

Back in the days of landline people never called after 21.00 unless it was real emeregency, or made stupid calls every 2 days asking "so what's new". I'm not saying it was better then (56kbbps which rarely exceeded 36kbps and still paid per minute) but I wish people still have some respect for other's time.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still mad about the Alexandria Library being sacked and burned. Such a loss of great works never to be seen again.

Several friends of mine were discussing this a few years ago and wishing that we could send someone back with a smartphone to take pictures of the documents. Then someone suggested that, maybe someone did, but were caught with it and burned as a witch, thus causing the Alexandria library fire? :lol:

Seriously, the science and technology of that era that we know about was approaching approximately late 18th century levels, all across the sciences. It's hard to imagine where we'd be now if it never happened and we didn't lose that 1500 years of learning.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic"]Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525 - YouTube[/ame]

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
It's to the point where if my computer breaks down I panic until I get a backup running. I use my computer for so many things, banking, paying bills, communication, processing sound and video and photos. Backups are an absolute must.

Never particularly panicked about my computer dying. Having to get a new one, on top of paying bills and buying groceries, would be a pain the :censored:, but completely doable, and it would be nice to have a new one anyhow.

Now, lose all my data? Lose 20 years worth of :censored: I worked my butt off to create? Panic time:OMG: