Humor Random Comments Thread

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Looks like we will be doing a trip at 50% here in a few days. Treating it like a forced outage so there will be a mad scramble to fix some broke stuff. Then on to 100% once we run back up.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The finally block is always executed, even if the try block encounters an exception. It's for making sure any resources like file streams or pointers get cleaned up.

Used as Urwumpe described, it's basically error handling for people too lazy to have error handling in their error handling...

But aren't instructions after a try block executed whether or not there's an error thrown in the block?

Unstung

Reaction score
This is what all my acceptable photos look like over the past few years:

1eDzEnW.png

I've finally finished going through all my photos and collecting the decent ones. Several photos were found and edited or re-edited.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But aren't instructions after a try block executed whether or not there's an error thrown in the block?

If you are not handling the error there, they would not be executed, but the next higher catch block would be used or the uncaught exception handler gets something to do.

finally makes sure that regardless how you leave the block (throw, return, break, continue, etc.) - the code it the finally block is always executed first before leaving it.

A more modern alternative to make standard patterns in Java easier is the following syntax that was included in Java 7:

try(PreparedStatement st = connection.prepareStatement(stmt)) {
}

in which case you produce an implicit finally block closing st (and some other small actions regarding controlling this resource).

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really can't understand how the original developers of the client and these server modules got promoted.

That's obvious. People are promoted so they will stop doing damage.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

What's a good use of try/finally? I never found a single good use of that. Instead try/catch is all I ever used.

The idea is that you should catch only if you know how to deal with the exception yourself, otherwise you just let it propagate up to the caller.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/128818/why-is-try-finally-good-try-catch-bad
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21386753

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Damn, meant to post it here but forgot. :\

20 dead so far, but rescue and salvage operations are still underway and so is the work to determine what caused this accident. Right now the only thing that can be said is "there should have been only one train there", I'm afraid.

We'll see how similar to February's crash in Germany this will turn out to be.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Right now it appears that the particular segment of track was manually managed with a telephone system, essentially requiring the two stations at the end of the segment to phone each other before letting a train through to ensure that another one isn't on the track.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was in Maine a couple of months ago on vacation and driving down some secondary road I stumbled across a tourist railroad. It was a narrow gauge road using the name of the defunct railroad company it was keeping alive. Because the original railroad operated in the 1920s they were attempting to keep the architecture and equipment period-correct.

They actually had an old fashioned telephone system with ring down boxes and everything. The gear was all in tip top shape and looked bran new.

And they actually operate the railroad with it! There are call boxes along the rail line, and also the crews carry portable phones they can plug in at various points along the line if they break down somewhere. They have a whole set of procedures to follow based on the original railroad's procedures.

They also had newly installed AC power in one of the buildings that had wire conductors on posts running along the walls and ceiling. I asked him if that was up to code, and he told me that some of the old methods of wiring a building are still legal under the code; it's just that nobody uses them anymore. Except this cool railroad of course.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Surfing the web from a moving train (Providence to Baltimore). I'm probably a Luddite but this is pretty awesome.

Now if we can just do something about the lady in the next seat who keeps doing verbal Siri web searches and needs to call all of her friends and family to make sure that they know that she is still on a train, using her outdoor voice. Which part of 'quiet car' do you not get?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Surfing the web from a moving train (Providence to Baltimore). I'm probably a Luddite but this is pretty awesome.

Now if we can just do something about the lady in the next seat who keeps doing verbal Siri web searches and needs to call all of her friends and family to make sure that they know that she is still on a train, using her outdoor voice. Which part of 'quiet car' do you not get?

Why not shouting "Siri, Sex with furniture, what do you think?" :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Compiling LLVM 3.8.1 on my Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2015, after generating the project files with CMake.... modern times.... :cool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You mean is still not closed because is in the heart of the city? It's not only operating, also being the second busiest airport in Brazil (1st is Guarulhos, also in São Paulo metropolitan area).

For safety, after the TAM crash, AFAIR, the airport is pretty tough to make conform to modern safety standards, which is one reason why it lost its international status already.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

YAY, LLVM is compiled and works properly. :) Now nothing can stop me :hailprobe:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Checked into my room and on the bed was a large fruit and goodie basket, everything still chilled. Card indicated that it was compliments of the conference organizers. The name that written on the To: field is very hard to read but it doesn't seem to be my name. A brief Google search of possible name variants shows up nothing.

I'm pretty sure this is not for me as I am a nobody at this conference. However, possession is 9/10ths of the law, and it is in my room. I hope they made out, because I'm plundering the stash. Arr....

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Congonhas Airport (SBSP) inside São Paulo.

After seeing that, I'm really glad I live in a rural area.