Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, and it works.
Unless you are so stupid, you think its a dodgy filling station pump and continue putting the wrong fuel in
:facepalm:

N.

Don't be too hard on you - I would likely have done the same one day or the other.

When I drive to Denmark next weekend, my parents already warned me from using the first gas station in Denmark because you need a PhD to use it. Some automatized monstrosity or so. I am almost tempted to refuel there. But refueling in "Wikingerland" sounds much more fun. One road in that industrial district even has the name "Thorshammer". Its just 2 km away from Haitabu. And Elon, it even has a supercharger. :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Open up terminal. Working directory is ~/

Code:
% vim /etc/ntp.conf

Edit /etc/ntp.conf

Save file. Type ":w!<enter>"

Finger decides that ~ is close enough to !.

/etc/ntp.conf has now been cloned to ~/~

Code:
%rm ~^H^H^H^H

Aw crap, that won't work

Code:
%vim "~" #To find way of referencing ~/~ that won't resolve to ~/
"~/" is a directory
%vim '~'
"~/" is a directory

@#$%&!
Code:
% vim ~/~
"~/" is a directory
:censored:
Code:
% \~
"~/" is a directory
:censored: :censored: piece of :censored: :compbash:

Google

Code:
% find . -inum 125279 -exec rm -i {} \;
rm: remove write-protected regular file ‘./~’? y

Finally! Die! DIE! *DIE*!!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Just moved over 1000 miles to a new city, luckily didn't completely destroy my car on the way. Especially considering I've done very little routine maintenance.
But I did hit a big piece of tire at about 80mph and it slammed into something on the bottom of the car that is now dragging. Just a bit of rubber that's supposed to be attached to the fender. I guess it's normally a shield for rocks bouncing into the underside (not a car guy lol). It was actually already a bit damaged from grinding on curbs (very low car), it just wasn't dragging or pressed against the tire before.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Just moved over 1000 miles to a new city, luckily didn't completely destroy my car on the way. Especially considering I've done very little routine maintenance.
But I did hit a big piece of tire at about 80mph and it slammed into something on the bottom of the car that is now dragging. Just a bit of rubber that's supposed to be attached to the fender. I guess it's normally a shield for rocks bouncing into the underside (not a car guy lol). It was actually already a bit damaged from grinding on curbs (very low car), it just wasn't dragging or pressed against the tire before.

Any pics? Might be able to help you figure it out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

If its damaged by grinding on curbs, you possibly mean a mudflap.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

What ever you wanted to know about bum targeting and never dared to ask.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=2...123|Collection|NASA%20STI||17|Collection|NACA

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My house has had a history of stupid water mishaps in the basement over the years.

The latest?

The condensation pipe on my heat pump clogged up and unbeknownst to me was overflowing onto the floor inside the ductwork, seeping out underneath and dampening the carpet outside the heat pump closet. I discovered it when I heard a weird dripping noise.

So the root problem has been fixed; the pipe works right again. But there were several gallons of water inside the bottom of the ductwork underneath the unit. I got a cheap shop vac and sucked it all out, then used the vac in blow mode to dry up some of the floor. I have fans running now try to dry up some of the carpet, but likely it will need to be replaced in the next few days, and probably some of the baseboard molding along with it. All because I'm too stupid to check up on things more often. :( The A/C has been working fine all along and it's a fairly young unit, so I didn't think about it.

That's the bad news.

The good news is I've discovered that shop vacs can really move some freaking water! I removed the air filter, switched it on, and stuck the hose into the water, and within about 5 seconds the vacuum cleaner was filled with several gallons of water. It happened so fast I thought the vac was defective; a float valve protects the motor when the unit is full so it stopped suctioning, but when I opened it up I was amazed at how much water had just got sucked in. A few trips out the back door to dump the water and that was it.

Reminds me of the explanation of how fast a Saturn V F1 turbopump can empty an Olympic swimming pool, something like 15 seconds IIRC.

Now if I can just hook my shop vac up to a rocket engine...

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

If its damaged by grinding on curbs, you possibly mean a mudflap.

Wrong end. If it's a vaguely 'sporty' car, he might have knocked the air splitter, but without seeing a picture of the afflicted plastic bit, it's all speculation.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Wrong end. If it's a vaguely 'sporty' car, he might have knocked the air splitter, but without seeing a picture of the afflicted plastic bit, it's all speculation.
Neither an air splitter nor what I would normally call a mud flap.

Googling, looks like people normally call it an "engine mud/splash shield/guard".
Just stops junk from getting into components of the engine compartment. I cut the hanging bit off. Should be fine virtually indefinitely, though either replacing it or cleaning out the eventual junk accumulation would be a good idea.

For your imagination purposes: It is (was) a big horizontal sheet of rubber across the underside of the car below the engine compartment, bolted to the fender and probably some other points. One bolt had already come out of the fender, making a corner of the rubber sheet hang down just a little. Then it got all kinds of twisted out of shape and pressed against the tire.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Neither an air splitter nor what I would normally call a mud flap.

Googling, looks like people normally call it an "engine mud/splash shield/guard".
Just stops junk from getting into components of the engine compartment. I cut the hanging bit off. Should be fine virtually indefinitely, though either replacing it or cleaning out the eventual junk accumulation would be a good idea.

Probably also doubles as a fairing on the bottom of the car.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Got around to watching some No Man's Sky gameplay videos.
It's like a first person version of Spore's galactic stage. :lol:
I'll try to hold off on getting it until it's half price in probably six months. We'll see. :)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Too late, downloading as I type.

N.

steph

Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about the physics it uses . Is it star-wars flying? Since there's no time dilation, at the speeds you're going, it shouldn't make much difference.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's like a first person version of Spore's galactic stage.

Not exactly. Playing it right now, and if anything, it's like a first person verison of spore's galactic stage if spore would have been any good. Not enough play time yet to say how well it'll hold up, but first impressions are better than expected, though not quite all I hoped.

Haven't heard anything about the physics it uses

Basically, none. If you're looking for any kind of realism (be that physics, chemistry, biology or astronomy), don't touch this game. Think of it as the "Inofficial Spaceman Spiff Simulator" packed into a giant homage to the golden age of scifi.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I am staying at my sister's house and watching her cat and dog while her family is away on vacation. I must say that a small animal threatening to poop and pee on the carpet is compelling motivation to get up early in the morning and take a brisk walk. I'm not sure who is actually being walked, me or the dog.

steph

Reaction score
I am staying at my sister's house and watching her cat and dog while her family is away on vacation. I must say that a small animal threatening to poop and pee on the carpet is compelling motivation to get up early in the morning and take a brisk walk. I'm not sure who is actually being walked, me or the dog.

Same stuff here while I'm at my parents' house. They have a labrador. He pulls on the leash like a lunatic (I guess he has some sled dog ancestry :lol: ) He does have an outside pen, but it's way too hot now to keep him in there and he's somehow learnt to open the lock anyway so he doesn't always stay there. But yes, pee and poop are deeply compelling indeed, though sometimes we walk him around, he doesn't do anything, and upon return he happiyl proceeds to pee in the middle of the living room.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Same stuff here while I'm at my parents' house. They have a labrador. He pulls on the leash like a lunatic (I guess he has some sled dog ancestry :lol: ) He does have an outside pen, but it's way too hot now to keep him in there and he's somehow learnt to open the lock anyway so he doesn't always stay there. But yes, pee and poop are deeply compelling indeed, though sometimes we walk him around, he doesn't do anything, and upon return he happiyl proceeds to pee in the middle of the living room.

In 1994 my sister went to the USA and I watched after her budgie.
On the same day she stepped into the plane both Kurt Cobain and the budgie died. Bad Karma.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Was the budgie a Nirvanah fan?

N.