Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the dual-color version of chocolate cream

Could have told you that we have no euro-cream in the western countries.
Honestly, the biggest problem with it in my experience is that nobody eats the white part... :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What to do when you don't like reading e-books (I prefer paper), you like to read original English versions instead of translated ones and book covers for certain sci-fi series (both original and translated) don't appeal to you aestheticaly??

Buy/download e-book and make your "own edition".
march_trilogy.jpg

Disclaimer: This is for personal use only.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think this series is comparable with Honor Harrington. There is already 4th part released and 5th is scheduled for 2018.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What to do when you don't like reading e-books (I prefer paper), you like to read original English versions instead of translated ones and book covers for certain sci-fi series (both original and translated) don't appeal to you aestheticaly??

Buy/download e-book and make your "own edition".
march_trilogy.jpg

Disclaimer: This is for personal use only.

How do you go about that? I've heard of services that will print on demand.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you go about that? I've heard of services that will print on demand.

He owns a printing shop, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I think any service prints on demand. I mean, they certainly won't print if you don't demand it... :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah - I co-own small printing shop. In addition to our solvent printers (stickers, posters banners, textiles) we have SRA3 laser printer by Konica Minolta.

It's printed on regular 80g paper with cover printed on 300g paper and then hot-laminated with vinyl selfadhesive film. After that it's just matter of applying glue and cutting it to the proper size with press cutter.

Also, I think any service prints on demand. I mean, they certainly won't print if you don't demand it... :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, why is this in the Basement? Is reading sci fi book political now?

That's probably lack of coffee.

------------------------------------------

Edit: Fixed

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
John Ringo doesn't live too far from me. But I've not read that series yet.

I think I also have some books of him in my library, did enjoy them. :lol:

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

The SF world certainly has its fill of wackerdoodles.

Yeah. One founded his own religion. :lol:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'll admit, Ringo left us hanging with the last of the "Legacy of the Aldenata" series. Glad he's reportedly going back to it soon.

But the "Dark Tide" series mostly makes up for that. :lol:

steph

Reaction score
slightly geeky question that came to my mind as I was cooking the other day...Wouldn't a smaller gas oriffice at the sttove be more efficient at transfering heat than a larger one? The larger the flame area is, related to the pot area, the more initial heat you have, but also more of it escapes to the side, whereas a smaller flame will have a lower initial heat, but the hot air is in contact with the pot for longer. Also, I don't think the temperature of the pot gets much over 100 C after the water starts boiling , since it's basically cooling evaporatively all the time.
I think I needed some coffee before posting, my thoughts are all over the place :))

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wouldn't a smaller gas oriffice at the sttove be more efficient at transfering heat than a larger one?

It's difficult to answer. A smaller flame means the pot is heating up more slowly, which also means it will lose more heat to its surroundings while doing so. The math to answer that question precisely and find the most efficient pot/orifice ratio would be a bit hairy, and would also only work for that particular pot.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Also, why is this in the Basement? Is reading sci fi book political now?

Well, a lot of John's stuff (and his good buddy Tom Kratman) can be taken very politically. Particularly Kratman. He is no friend to the far left leaning liberal. He's got his own war going against the 'neo-liberal' and 'transnationalism' crowds.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with John Ringo.

He's a writer that specializes in military sci-fi/fantasy.

---------- Post added 01-29-18 at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-28-18 at 07:02 PM ----------

So I've gone official with making/posting music. Here's link to my 1st piece (rearangement of piece posted recently but with added choirs).

http://loru.bandcamp.com/releases

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with John Ringo.

Oooh, you're in for a treat, then. I'd recommend either "Under A Graveyard Sky" (if you like realistic zombie stories), "A Hymn Before Battle" (if you like military scifi), and/or... Hmm. He's got a couple of decent other stories, but they're kinda similar to the main two arcs he's done.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
For some pretty good military sci-fi (not syfy, hate that they did that...) give a look at "Terms of Enlistment" by Marko Kloos. It reminds me a lot of Heinlein, not so much because of the social commentary, but that it's a grunt point of view.

Also another one of my favorite authors, Marc Edelheit; Start with Stiger's Tigers (it's book 1) or Stiger - Tales of the Seventh (a prequel, followed by Fort Covenant). It popped up on my recommended list last year. I read the blurb for it and thought , eh, sounds pretty good. At first I thought it was just a story about a bunch of Romans tramping through central Europe. Then I found I was mistaken. Again it's basically war from a grunts point of view. Good stuff! After I posted my review of Tales of the Seventh, I got a package in the mail. It was a signed copy from Mr. Edelheit with some added swag (giant mouse pad, some bookmarks and stuff. And an invitation to be on his beta reader team. Reading is awesome! Swag from the authors is awesome too!

Last edited: