Addon Developer
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
At least no one suggested "True Grit"...

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Your Cash Allocation Award 2018

Dear Winner;

This is to inform you that the Arcus Foundation has approved in your name by email balloting 2018, the sum of $850,000.00 Dollars and your fund is converted into ATM Debit Card for delivery to you. For more information and claims, contact our zonal payment coordinator with your details. E-mail: (removed.com) Contact Person: Mr.
Paul Richard.

Best Regards

Dr. Louis Connor

Its surprising how many people want to give me money. Why weren't they around when I was younger?

N.

Marijn

Reaction score
The Parker Solar Probe just broke the speed record of Helios 2 (1976) for the fastest human made object ever: 246.960 km/h. It will set a new record in 2024 when it hits 692.000km/h.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re #25066 above.

Well, its not funny now.

Went looking for an old email I sent to someone, and my outbox is full of the above message to dozens of different addresses, all with my address as sender.

I'm guessing I have a virus?
Know nothing about these things, rely on my AVG to keep the machines clear.

Deleted all from Outlook and ran AVG, didn't find anything.

Anything more I should do?

Thanks, N.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The Parker Solar Probe just broke the speed record of Helios 2 (1976) for the fastest human made object ever: 246.960 km/h. It will set a new record in 2024 when it hits 692.000km/h.

252km/h now, and it will accelerate even more for the next 6 days:
psp201810_0709.svg

Impressively, it flew past Venus just 27 days ago, and now it's already "near" the Sun! :hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Re #25066 above.

Well, its not funny now.

Went looking for an old email I sent to someone, and my outbox is full of the above message to dozens of different addresses, all with my address as sender.

Thanks, N.

Use a spamfilter. I also get a lot of those right now, and I suspect many of them are related to using Google, because there are sometimes new types appearing because of searches, that I did not even yet tell my girlfriend about yet.

I fight most with the Spamfilter of Thunderbird plus some automatic filter rules. But it has really become extreme on my official email address.

I also get blackmailing attempts using an almost correct password of mine. Luckily, I know where I used this kind of password before changing it and which chat site had been storing unencrypted passwords in their database for making it easier to restore forgotten passwords, before being hacked. Without liberal use of umlauts, the hackers might have gotten a correct password...

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Urwumpe.

Outlook has a spam folder, but I never got around to setting it up. Guess I will now!
I don't use e-mail much, only a few feinds addresses, so bit miffed this has happened.
Do get a lot of junk, but always delete if I don't recognise the origin. Must have missed this one...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Use a spamfilter.

He said that he can see spam mails *sent* from his email account in his outbox, a spam filter isn't going to help much with that.
It could potentially be malware running on your system, but most likely somebody has simply gotten a hold of your password and integrated your address into his spam-net. Changing that is the best first step.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
He said that he can see spam mails *sent* from his email account in his outbox, a spam filter isn't going to help much with that.
It could potentially be malware running on your system, but most likely somebody has simply gotten a hold of your password and integrated your address into his spam-net. Changing that is the best first step.

Really in his outbox? Not in his inbox? I had seen dozens of those in my inbox one time, all claimed to be be send by myself...

If its in the outbox, I would check for old office macro viruses...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Have changed the password on the BT e-mail browser page. Went through all the settings and it seems my "reply to" field had been changed to some Hotmail address. The title was left as my name.
Fairly sure it looked ok when I was sending emails, though some time my name was all capitals?

Outlook has gone all strange, so I'll just use the bt browser thing till I contact them.

N.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Re #25066 above.

Well, its not funny now.

Thanks, N.
Avast, ye matey. :lol:
Joking aside, Avast has long been part of a multi-program approach to securing my computer.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
AVG is doing a deep scan on the machines, nothing yet.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Really in his outbox? Not in his inbox?

Well, that's what he wrote. Spam in the inbox with your own address as sender would indeed be nothing spectacular. After all you can put whatever you want in that field when creating a mail programmatically...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it was definitely in the out box. About 20 of them.
Strange none were to anyone in my address book.

Its really annoying at the moment, I have to change a care schedule for my mother because of a hospital appointment. Was using e-mail, but I'll have to chase it up on the phone to make sure its got through.

Still can't get Outlook to work, its not recognising the new password. Will have to ring BT(my isp provider). From past experience that usually takes a few hours.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You should never get a statue as long as you are still alive.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Who is still making statues in the age of the internet? The only way to win is not to play! :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Reminds me of Harpo Marx.

N.