Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow! I don't want you P.O.d at me. lol
We do say in german "Viel Feind, viel Ehr" (many enemies (bring) much honor) but honestly, I'm going to be horribly out of place among that level of competition. I'm sure it's gonna be a great learning experience, let's hope it doesn't come at too high a cost... ?

steph

Reaction score
Turns out I was driving illegally for the last few months, without knowing it :ROFLMAO:. Also, I probably got lucky for being pulled over in a tourist area and the guy who got pulled over in front of me was doing a massive scandal, or else they might not have let me off so easily.
I had applied to change my driving license to a French one, as legally required. Now, in times of covid, this is all done online, so, in theory, easy. There's a disclaimer that it may take more than the standard 6 weeks or what due to the situation (it did), but also a disclaimer that you won't be liable for any of their delays, so I had the file, proof of aplication and all that and thought I was good to go. And therein lies the beauty of the system. Yes, you can overshoot your permit's availability date due to their delays etc. But not directly or implicitly. They have to send you a temporary permit, but the sending of that temporary permit, being part of the whole application process, may also be subject to delays?.

Guess I'll have to look for a high-powered e-bike. No trotinette for me, they're fun as rentals, but I don't see myself riding one daily .

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I think I remember the original reports, surprised its still going on.

Why the long legal battle?

Because not everything in his collection is illegal or not correctly demilitarized. He was a civilian collector. The tank for example seems to be bought from an scottish collector many years ago. So its no mostly a battle of the experts: Is it correctly demilitarized? Did he acquire it legally or are pieces of it from illegal sources? Even if it is decided that pieces are legal, its possible that a law is made to disown the collectors and the whole thing goes through the higher courts.

So, we will see, how the process goes on. Its doubtful the Panther or the 88mm Flak will go to any German museum anyway. The relevant ones already have them. But it could be possible that the tank might go to a foreign museum in exchange for some other vehicle.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Right, I thought he'd stolen or in some way misappropriated the collection.

I'm trying to collect an example of an Ampex AVR-2 video tape machine(cheaper the better).
Hopefully I don't end up in a similar position....

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Right, I thought he'd stolen or in some way misappropriated the collection.

I'm trying to collect an example of an Ampex AVR-2 video tape machine(cheaper the better).
Hopefully I don't end up in a similar position....

I think it would be a more expensive and possibly illegal hobby, trying to build an Admiralty Fire Control Table with Lego Technic....

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
That sounds like a workable project!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

I don't understand this need to re-introduce animals that have become extinct in the UK for various reasons. Usually hunted out because they are dangerous or tasty.
Kent is hardly un-tamed wilderness and seems totally unsuitable for this experiment.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I don't understand this need to re-introduce animals that have become extinct in the UK for various reasons. Usually hunted out because they are dangerous or tasty.
Kent is hardly un-tamed wilderness and seems totally unsuitable for this experiment.

Depends on where. Don't you also have training grounds for the army there? In Germany they are important retreats for rare animals, since they are mostly undisturbed there, because only few humans go there....

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes big training areas on Salisbury Common and Otterburn, Nortjhumberland. Never heard of any wildlife there. Army did seize large areas during WWII for training and security. Especially coastal areas, but I think they went back after.
I think most areas have public access except during exercises. Not a big place England.

EDIT: Well, as often wrong again.
The MOD has gone all ecological and quite an emphasis on the wildlife potential of the training areas.
Keep your head down while admiring the butterflies.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Depends on where. Don't you also have training grounds for the army there? In Germany they are important retreats for rare animals, since they are mostly undisturbed there, because only few humans go there....
Heh, reminds of the time some protected eagle landed in a shooting range during target practice. Of course somebody took the shot. I wasn't there, but the thing caused quite an outrage. I can only imagine the superiors of the guy who did it made him eat his rifle in reverse for all the trouble he caused them... ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Heh, reminds of the time some protected eagle landed in a shooting range during target practice. Of course somebody took the shot. I wasn't there, but the thing caused quite an outrage. I can only imagine the superiors of the guy who did it made him eat his rifle in reverse for all the trouble he caused them... ?

Oh, I can only imagine... for the regular total damage to a roundabout, that was build too small by some expert who did not consider that tanks have to pass it on the way to the train station, we had prepared a pad with many forms with all the necessary information to compensate the damage, that only required a new date to be inserted. Otherwise, the bureaucracy would have been overwhelming. We even included a small text which curbstones got damaged in advance....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
for the regular total damage to a roundabout, that was build too small by some expert who did not consider that tanks have to pass it on the way to the train station, we had prepared a pad with many forms with all the necessary information to compensate the damage, that only required a new date to be inserted.
Bwahaha, that sounds like the military alright: Efficiency in all the wrong places! ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Bwahaha, that sounds like the military alright: Efficiency in all the wrong places! ?

Of course. Somebody at the frontline has to fix a problem, somebody in the high command caused. ?

steph

Reaction score

Mostly for hunting, I guess. At least that's what they did in Eastern Europe with bison. A few years ago 'twas a big project to 'repopulate' a nature reserve with them, now they have a yearly bison hunt, Apparently hunting is a very lucrative sport, with huge sums paid for thde 'right' to shoot certain animals.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I can't imagine that going down well in the UK. Except for farmers and the Aristocrats, not much hunting done here.
Banning fox-hunting went on for years, not sure if its legal or not at the moment?

Can't imagine little Billy's school trip when Ernest Hemmingway bursts out the shrubbery and blasts "Petting Bison" right between the eyes.

steph

Reaction score
I can't imagine that going down well in the UK. Except for farmers and the Aristocrats, not much hunting done here.
Banning fox-hunting went on for years, not sure if its legal or not at the moment?

Can't imagine little Billy's school trip when Ernest Hemmingway bursts out the shrubbery and blasts "Petting Bison" right between the eyes.
I don't know. In France they hunt foxes, boars etc. In theory they put signs for people to avoid the area etc, but screw-ups do happen and it can be quite terrifying to get caught up in a hunt. For bison I guess it would be more like a bear hunt, a targetted killing rather than a chase. Especially since they'll probably have geotagging etc

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Fox-Hunting generates a lot of heat here. Mostly based round class-warfare, though animal rights are involved as well.
Just can't see Bisons wandering around Kent, its called the Garden of England.
Due to its soft fruit orchards and hops for brewing...another good reason to keep Bisons out!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's still less traumatic for little Billy than when Ernest Hemingway bursts out of the shrubbery and blasts himself between the eyes, I'd guess... :unsure: