Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Easily done, long beard, ground covered in soft fruits.
Trip, Blam!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was more refering to the way Hemingway is assumed to actually have died, but I guess that's a possible version... :LOL:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, not a big fan, though the For whom the Bell tolls film was good.
Didn't know he killed himself, thought he'd got trampled by an elephant with his history?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I tried to resurrect my old, old gaming desktop yesterday. No luck. So, I pulled the 1TB data drive and plugged it into my current flight sim machine to see what data it contained that was worth keeping.

On that drive was a folder I'd titled "Black USB Key Backup." I was not prepared for the treasure trove of old things I had saved. The most valuable? All the meshes and textures from my long-lost Babylon 5 Agamemnon project, including the specular reflection settings in the mesh, as well as the normal maps. Even better? The entire development project in the orbitersdk samples folder.

And as if THAT wasn't enough, it also contained the project and all development work I had done on the Maintenance Fury. The Probe has smiled on me.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Make a backup of that immediately!

I had a related scare a couple of weeks ago: after a thunderstorm my Synology NAS wouldn't boot up.

Now, everything remotely important on it exists in at least another copy, but setting it up from zero would have been a major pain.

In the end by inserting an older blank hdd and letting it re-download the system partition (which is mirrored across all installed drives) and re-connecting my main hdd and letting the system repair the "old" system partition from the new one I only lost a number of settings which were quickly restored.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Done and done. As of this morning before work, It now exists on my external 2TB hard drive, as well as now on the 2TB internal hard drive of my flight sim PC.

Side note: When trying to run the Orbiter_ng in that directory, which does have the D3D9 client installed, it only runs in server mode, saying no graphics client is attached. So I haven't yet visually verified the mesh does contain specular reflections, but the normal maps are for sure in the textures directory. ?‍♂️

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Because not everything in his collection is illegal or not correctly demilitarized. He was a civilian collector. The tank for example seems to be bought from an scottish collector many years ago. So its no mostly a battle of the experts: Is it correctly demilitarized? Did he acquire it legally or are pieces of it from illegal sources? Even if it is decided that pieces are legal, its possible that a law is made to disown the collectors and the whole thing goes through the higher courts.

So, we will see, how the process goes on. Its doubtful the Panther or the 88mm Flak will go to any German museum anyway. The relevant ones already have them. But it could be possible that the tank might go to a foreign museum in exchange for some other vehicle.

A link I think?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The best way to not lose data is to have so many copies in so many places, that getting rid of them all would be impossible even if you wanted to.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The best way to not lose data is to have so many copies in so many places, that getting rid of them all would be impossible even if you wanted to.
Congratulations! You have now arrived in versioning hell! :ROFLMAO:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I saw that picture again on a Facebook group, and really it is awesome. X24-A addon for O'2016 anyone ? The new shader would be great on such a shiny surface :cool:

232895394_5966121673429366_2096397770302151103_n.jpg

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Lifting bodies are cool. Someday I might finish mine
salome_stl-png.26281

Attachments

• salome_stl.png
    salome_stl.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 62

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I'm relaxing at home on a rainy day and trying to find some sort of entertainment. So far I've scrolled through pages and pages of listings of rather vapid-looking movies and shows.

I've always had a hard time with personal entertainment. It seems like I spend 99% of my time sifting through books, movies, shows, 1% of the time reading/watching something I picked out semi-randomly out of frustration, and it seems 50% of that time I regret the choice. Am I doing this right? Or am I just supposed to get a lobotomy / drink / do enough weed where Fast & Furious 12 seems compelling?

I wish I were into gaming and simulation, but outside of old flightsim (MS Flight Simulator 1998; yeah, that long) and Orbiter I never was much into gaming and simulation, and I have been away from it so long that even getting back into modern flight sim or VR I don't know where to even begin anymore. I have an OK laptop mostly for Office and MatLab stuff but I doubt anything interesting would run properly on it. I don't even know what it would take money and equipment-wise to have a good modern experience. Computers in my life were to get work done, not so much for entertainment.

Bah, feeling old.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm relaxing at home on a rainy day and trying to find some sort of entertainment. So far I've scrolled through pages and pages of listings of rather vapid-looking movies and shows.

What about being creative yourself? Like doing a paper scale model? Or drawing something with a pencil? (Everybody has paper and something like a pen in the house). Its not even about producing something great, just about the act of drawing, letting your mind flow and turn your imagination into something visible.

My son made sure I can draw a cartoon cow anytime. ?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
But... then the problem you describe would be worse, since you'd not only have it with books and TV shows, but also with games additionally... ?‍♂️
There is that. Adding more chaff to be sorted through would probably be more discouraging.

What about being creative yourself? Like doing a paper scale model? Or drawing something with a pencil? (Everybody has paper and something like a pen in the house). Its not even about producing something great, just about the act of drawing, letting your mind flow and turn your imagination into something visible.

My son made sure I can draw a cartoon cow anytime.
I have done a few balsa and paper models, and I do enjoy the act of fabricating them. I don't have a great deal of space to store them once finished, which puts a certain damper on creating them in the first place. I remember being better at being imaginative and creative when I was younger, but something has switched off in my mind that makes it more challenging these days.

I wish I had a project car that I could fix up, but right now I have two Honda Fit/Jazz which we use to commute which are both in excellent maintenance and are very boring, and I can't really justify a third car. I also don't have a garage, which makes extended project work on a car an uncomfortable activity in the middle of winter.

I have a small workshop and I enjoy fixing things, and I've got the word out to several friends that I'm happy to look at anything broken that they might have. This can be interesting, but it also can easily feel like work. Also, many of the broken things are beyond economical repair which is not satisfying.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have a small workshop and I enjoy fixing things, and I've got the word out to several friends that I'm happy to look at anything broken that they might have. This can be interesting, but it also can easily feel like work. Also, many of the broken things are beyond economical repair which is not satisfying.

So, you feel more like a "Maker" kind of person, like they call themselves today.... what about turning the broken things of others into something new?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I've done some stuff with an artist friend to mechanize certain art pieces using odds and ends parts. That can be fun, but also can be too many cooks in the kitchen. The projects are very random (because art), are infrequent, and don't always come when I am able to devote time to them, so this is a mixed experience.

I enjoy gardening, but that is a very seasonal effort as well. Right now all I am doing is watching my tomatoes ripen.

My main struggle is finding something that is amusing that can be done any time I choose.