Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
This is a few months old but I really like it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFj-tp1iOmg"]Space Engineers â–º A:10 Tank Killer! (Community Creation) - YouTube[/ame]

Slowmind

Reaction score
Website
smartym.pro
Did the developers already get somewhere? I both hate and love early access games, but gosh, there are so few playable games. I can only recall Kerbal Space Program and Starbound (they're really good IMO). Are Space Engineers anywhere near in terms of playability right now?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Update 01.132

Update 01.132:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y8rjWl-3ZY"]Space Engineers - Update 01.132 - New Ship Sounds, Minor HUD Tweaks - YouTube[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...and Starbound...

Except I'm still waiting for it to make any sense. The way it is currently, it completely fails to reward exploration, which is kind of a drawback in an exploration game...

Subnautica and Darkest Dungeon were early access games I had a lot of fun with, though.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I wonder what's the point in this game ? Every resource seems to be located within 1km radius from a landing site and they are marked with darker color to be easy to find. So, just take a spare bottle of hydrogen into your inventory and scout the near by terrain with jetpack. Every resource type is found just in a few minutes almost like they are handed to you. Some kind of crash/survival scenario would be lot more interesting to play if it would actually take some efforts to find rare/non essential resources. Not being able to count on finding anything right away.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I wonder what's the point in this game ? Every resource seems to be located within 1km radius from a landing site and they are marked with darker color to be easy to find. So, just take a spare bottle of hydrogen into your inventory and scout the near by terrain with jetpack. Every resource type is found just in a few minutes almost like they are handed to you. Some kind of crash/survival scenario would be lot more interesting to play if it would actually take some efforts to find rare/non essential resources. Not being able to count on finding anything right away.
You've just described the whole problem with Space Engineers: the designers have no idea how to make an actual game. There's no game here. It's just a 3d modeler with a terrible interface, with some physics and limited resources added.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Basically a walking sim in space.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I thought you enjoyed so much our time on your Minecraft server :(
I think Minecraft's block-based limitations make it less frustrating in many ways than Space Engineers. In Minecraft, you can see how much work went into things since the component parts are visible, and the simplicity of redstone means that complex circuits are impressive because of the work you had to go through.

In Space Engineers, though, the more realistic style you can build something impressive, and then it just looks like something that you could've made in Blender or Wings3d or whatever in 10% of the time with 10% of the frustration, and all the fancy scripting is just programming. It almost more feels like a game creator (like RPG maker or something), and the results are bound to be disappointing.

Or maybe it's just that Minecraft has been around for 7 years now, so anything else in the genre just seems old hat if they don't have something amazing to make it awesome, and I don't think Space Engineers has that.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Minecraft works because it's visually based with minimal functionality. You can make a dirt house that will keep you safe from monsters and it'll have the same functionality as a huge castle. But the castle is so much more fun to build.

Space Engineers is a functionality based game, where you create something functional and maybe something that looks cool.

Why Space Engineers is not a game is because once you're done building your capital class ship, you have nothing to blow up...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Space Engineers is a functionality based game, where you create something functional and maybe something that looks cool.

Why Space Engineers is not a game is because once you're done building your capital class ship, you have nothing to blow up...
Exactly -- you build something that should be able to do something, but there's nothing to do with it. How hard would it be to have missions or scenarios or something? "Defeat the enemy fleet while using no more than x tons of ships."

It's the sort of thing you could set up on your own, but it's also the sort of thing that should be in the game by default. Of course, then you'd probably need some kind of strategic UI, and they'd probably have to fix the absurd mouse movement issue, but that would run counter to what the product is.

Last edited:

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score

Well, most of the times when I build one of my humongous mining ships, I either blow up my computer (frame rate goes to zero) or the ship self-destructs when I engage the jump drive with a full cargo load.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS and SE shipbuilder

Gerdih

Reaction score
Minecraft works because it's visually based with minimal functionality. You can make a dirt house that will keep you safe from monsters and it'll have the same functionality as a huge castle. But the castle is so much more fun to build.

Build your dirt house, you are safe now, okay, what now?

I think the fun I got on Hielor server was 90% based on role-playing and 10% based on challenging myself to build better infraestructures.
I built an iron farm that made useless all the iron other players could mine, was it fun? yes. Had it a purpose? apart that I could build nicer buildings, no.

I think the strong part of SE will finally be multiplayer.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Update 01.134

Update 01.134:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90oYhP2o-w"]Space Engineers - Update 01.134 - Animation & Testing Modding Tool - YouTube[/ame]

Slowmind

Reaction score
Website
smartym.pro
Build your dirt house, you are safe now, okay, what now?

I think the fun I got on Hielor server was 90% based on role-playing and 10% based on challenging myself to build better infraestructures.
I built an iron farm that made useless all the iron other players could mine, was it fun? yes. Had it a purpose? apart that I could build nicer buildings, no.

I think the strong part of SE will finally be multiplayer.

If I recall correctly, there is an actual goal in Minecraft - to slay a dragon that is hidden deep in the dungeon. But I never got there. It's much more fun just hanging with your friends (especially when there are 3+ players).