Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, until they improve performance of the engine for low end computers, I can't play. And seeing as that's apparently not on their current to-do list...

I wouldn't hold your breath. Making the renderer work on outmoded hardware would be a lot of work for very little reward. There's optimisation to be done, for sure. But you can't cling to ten-year-old chipsets and be upset when the industry moves on without you and stops supporting your hardware.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They can be used as toys, sure... but they can be used for more than that.

I resent that phrasing. I happen to be of the notion that toys are the most awesome thing there is :p

An argument that I think would be more valid when it comes to stuff like Orbiter, Minecraft, SE et al... Are they a game, or are they a toy? There's a significant difference between the two. And as already mentioned, I think toys are awesome.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath. Making the renderer work on outmoded hardware would be a lot of work for very little reward. There's optimisation to be done, for sure. But you can't cling to ten-year-old chipsets and be upset when the industry moves on without you and stops supporting your hardware.

I'm not asking for that level of back compatibility... I just want to be able to run it on a 2 year old laptop without an NVIDIA card.

I guess I'm going to be unable to play most games until this computer dies and I can reasonably go shopping for a new computer. :(

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
I'm not asking for that level of back compatibility... I just want to be able to run it on a 2 year old laptop without an NVIDIA card.

I guess I'm going to be unable to play most games until this computer dies and I can reasonably go shopping for a new computer. :(

Have you tried downgrading the video settings? When planets came out, I found the game completely unplayable (1 frame per 25-40 seconds was the refresh rate). I downgraded all my video settings to the lowest possible values, and now I get 45-60 FPS and it is quite playable. Still seeing some graphic artifacts, but nothing unexpected from a game still in Beta testing.

My computer will be 3 years old in January.....

Dantassii

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Have you tried downgrading the video settings? When planets came out, I found the game completely unplayable (1 frame per 25-40 seconds was the refresh rate). I downgraded all my video settings to the lowest possible values, and now I get 45-60 FPS and it is quite playable. Still seeing some graphic artifacts, but nothing unexpected from a game still in Beta testing.

Dantassii

I believe so, but that still won't let me play with planets. :dry:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Dantassii

That won't help if the system doesn't support DX11, as in MaverickSawyer's case. The game simply will not do planets without DX11, regardless of settings.

Dantassii

Reaction score
Great.. I start playing my scenario from Christmas morning and 20 seconds I've got 2 dogs attacking me even though I turned off all NPC encounters... Guess I won't be playing SE until they give me the ability to turn auto-kill encounters off....

Guess I'll be going back to building my Lunar Station in Orbiter for the next week or 2 until they gix this obvious bug...

Dantassii

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Assimilated dogs. :WTF:

Couldn't they do something useful, like, oh, MAKING THE GAME MORE PLAYABLE.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What, Space Engineers engaging in feature creep instead of actually making what they already have useful? I'm shocked!

Oh, wait, no I'm not.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What, Space Engineers engaging in feature creep instead of actually making what they already have useful? I'm shocked!

Oh, wait, no I'm not.

The next stabilization phase will come though. It is not like the new features had been without warning, new features on Christmas are a must-have for community building in early-access.

Dantassii

Reaction score
When they've added a potentially auto-killing feature before (aka pirates) they always added the feature to disable it in case your particular world didn't have any anti-personnel weapons built on it. As it is I've been playing this same world since Thanksgiving weekend (end of November) and I've got quite a setup built up already (in survival mode). Now I can't play more than 20 seconds before 2-4 wolves attack me. And I have no magnesium mined and only 9000 rounds in my MG. I had 2 wolves attack me at 20 seconds, and before I could get to my Med Bay and heal up from that attack, I had 4 more attack me and my atmospheric lander. 2 attacked me and the other 2 attacked the lander.. and took out my 1 and only Med bay.. so that would have ENDED the world for me in 40 seconds if I had saved it after my 2nd death as I have no more med bays to respawn at. This all happened in total daylight. If I understood the writeup correctly, the wolves are only supposed to attack at night... so how are you supposed to enjoy the fireflies if every 20 seconds you have to defend yourself from 2 to 4 wolves attacking you? I mean come on. This new feature has so many bugs in it. And to release it on New Year's Eve where any patches (like the turn off feature they promise will show up in a few days) will be days to arrive? Talk about total buzz-kill. If they had only put in a way to turn it off... but as it is I can't play SE until they fix this and the only fix I will be looking for is the means to turn these wolves off totally and forever in my month old world... I suspect the wolves even destroy your station with their self destruct mode when in Creative mode... so how does one build anything in creative mode when wolves come along and nuke several blocks at ground level every 20 seconds?

/rant off

Dantassii
Time to build the Lunar Station again....

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
What's the matter with you guys? I've always wanted to have wolves self-destructing my bases while I enjoy the fireflies!

Dantassii

Reaction score
What's the matter with you guys? I've always wanted to have wolves self-destructing my bases while I enjoy the fireflies!

I don't even see the fireflies.. all I see is the red haze of death as I die every 20 seconds.

Seems the Mod community of SE is on the ball even though Keen isn't. There's a Mod that disables the AI for the wolves and stops them from attacking. They just sit there. Still seem to spawn, but they don't do anything. I've gone for almost an hour and not a single wolf to be seen... but the memory usage keeps going up and up as they are spawned....

Dantassii

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I don't even see the fireflies.. all I see is the red haze of death as I die every 20 seconds.i
:lol:

Seems the Mod community of SE is on the ball even though Keen isn't. There's a Mod that disables the AI for the wolves and stops them from attacking. They just sit there.
Now that's what I call GoodAI.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I call it "Nice doggie... Sit doggie... Now where is a rock...."

Dantassii

I would be more surprised if they make the AI behave more like real wolves... in that case you would really fear the night.