Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 F3 COTS2+ Updates

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Next launch "window" is on May 22 at 07:44 UTC (3:44 am EDT).

Yes but a pressure problem in a combustion chamber seems to be a serious problem, no ? Will they be able to fix in just 3 days ?

(and by the way, I will be on exam right at this moment...)

FADEC

Reaction score
Well, at least an abort instead of a major anomaly in flight. But this is once again when big visions collide with reality. 50 launches a year... going into space is different than anything else we do on earth.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wait...what happened to their engine-out capability? Guessing that only works at higher altitudes?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I fear another several months delay... :rolleyes:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Growing pains, nothing more. Rather get it right. This is a zero sum game.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Go to hell, engine 5!

I'm pretty sure you can't send a rocket engine to the hell of The Probe, only engineers. :rofl:

At least this abort proves that Falcon 9 cannot be used as an ICBM. This ain't no R-7 after all! :lol:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
SpaceX has repeatedly demonstrated that they can't deliver on their big promises.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Spaceflight Now

spacer.gif

19f9abort400262.jpg
spacer.gif

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+2] Falcon 9 rocket launch scrubbed after pad shutdown[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif

SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket was counting down to blastoff at 4:55 a.m. EDT today, but the historic first commercial visit to the International Space Station was aborted due to a problem detected during main engine start. The next launch opportunity is Tuesday at 3:44 a.m. EDT (0744 GMT).

0901 GMT (5:01 a.m. EDT)
SpaceX reports the problem triggering the abort was a high chamber pressure reading on Engine No. 5 of the first stage. Aborts are common in Falcon 9 countdowns when computers recognize a limit out of a predefined range. Sometimes the fix is as simple as adjusting the acceptable range in the computer, but with a one-second launch window this morning, there will no opportunity to resolve the issue today.

0858 GMT (4:58 a.m. EDT)
The launch team is safing the rocket and Dragon spacecraft after this morning's abort. The next launch opportunity is Tuesday morning at 3:44 a.m. EDT (0744 GMT), assuming whatever issue caused the abort is resolved in time.

0856 GMT (4:56 a.m. EDT)
It's not clear what caused the abort just before liftoff, but this will mean Falcon 9 will not launch today. The rocket had a near-instantaneous launch window in which it could fly today.

0855 GMT (4:55 a.m. EDT)
ABORT. The ignition sequence started, but there was a countdown cutoff before launch.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only bright side I can see from this is that the abort system worked flawlessly.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
At least this abort proves that Falcon 9 cannot be used as an ICBM. This ain't no R-7 after all!

Russia is certainly the winner of that intense week of launches, with 3/3 successes, and 1 manned flight ;)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
SpaceX certainly has the world's fastest MECO time!:rofl:

FADEC

Reaction score
By the way: I wonder why the speaker said "zero and... lllliiii...ift... off" :lol:

I would not say so until I see the vehicle lifting off. I think it was somehow abvious from what we saw that it is not going to lift off on time for some reason.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
TBH I have lost all hope of SpaceX it just shows that people who dont work with nasa and dont know what they are doing get this. They have to leave space for the pros. not amateurs

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Wasn't the pad test fire on the 7th supposed to find issues such as this?

Also, this latest abort should put into perspective all these pie in the sky ambitions of flyback first stages and stratolaunches.

Last edited: