Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 F3 COTS2+ Updates

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Updates on SpaceX's Falcon 9's third flight, 2nd flight of the Dragon spacecraft.

Z317.jpg

SOURCE OF ARTICLE: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/12/live-spacex-launch-falcon-9-dragon-cots-demo/

The next Dragon mission, Dragon C2, is currently scheduled for launch on 12 April next year; the fiftieth anniversary of the first manned spaceflight and the thirtieth anniversary of the first Space Shuttle launch. This will also be the next Falcon 9 launch. Dragon C1 is also the fifteenth and final orbital launch of the year to be made by the United States.

dragon-commercial-spacecraft-100824-02.jpg

1cf5b8108a2544302c445769d7bdfbcd.jpg

Last edited:

Unstung

Reaction score
Well, SpaceX has been doing well. I'm confident Dragon will be a success, but not so confident they will dock in the next mission.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I feel that Space X is the right agency to go with to get our Human and cargo flights back on track.

The same module is used for both manned and unmanned docking
It's CBM interface permits ISPRs and other large cargo easy transfer
It's 4 man+ capacity is ideal for crew transfer
It's launch system Falcon 9 is performing very well in tests

Lockheed Martin don't even have a tested vehicle. Why NASA awarded them the contract is beyond me!.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
in the end, the big boys (NASA, ESA etc) will onyl go for something they KNOW will work. dont worry about spacecraft falling from the sky, i think you'll be fine

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Both the NASA COTS management and Elon Musk feel pretty confident about combining COTS 2 and 3 into a single mission.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
I feel that Space X is the right agency to go with to get our Human and cargo flights back on track.

Lockheed Martin don't even have a tested vehicle. Why NASA awarded them the contract is beyond me!.

The Ares rocket caused the Orion to be redesigned a couple of times (most prominently the switch from a 5.5m base to a 5m base.)

jaydog

Reaction score
I didnt have much confidence in Space X (oh no another kistler or rotorocket) but they are making good on their efforts.
The thing thats impressing me is they are making everything they use basically the same. Same diameter stages, ie same tooling, same basic engines for both stages. Same pumps, it really is most efficient way, and keeps it simpler. I think 9 engines are a bit much, but musk says they are thinking about going to a bigger engine. And he says next launch will be effort to test stage recovery which is cool. Get the thing out of the ocean, wash it down, check for damaged items and replace them.
go space x
:salute:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Russia will not permit...

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20110422/163657154.html

SpaceX not allowed to dock with ISS until safety proven - Roscosmos

20:19 22/04/2011

Russia will not permit the first U.S. commercial spacecraft to dock with the International Space Station (ISS) unless its safety is fully tested, a high-ranking Russian space official said on Friday.

The statement comes in the wake of media reports that the spacecraft's designer, U.S. company SpaceX, requested NASA to authorize the docking in December.

"We will not issue docking permission unless the necessary level of reliability and safety [of the spacecraft] is proven. So far we have no proof that those spacecraft duly comply with the accepted norms of spaceflight safety," said Alexei Krasnov, who heads the manned spaceflight department of Russia's space agency Roscosmos.

He said that to authorize docking, the Russian space agency will need to study data about the demonstration flight due to take place later this year.

"We have received no requests from NASA on the issue," the space official said.

"This plan is realistic, and ultimately commercial spacecraft will be able to dock with the space station," he said. "But all in good time."

SpaceX, a commercial company, signed a contract with NASA to develop both the Falcon-9 carrier rocket and the Dragon vehicle. Last December, SpaceX orbited the Dragon onboard its carrier rocket and demonstrated orbital maneuvering, before the vehicle reentered the atmosphere and was recovered in the Pacific.

According to the SpaceX 2011's launch schedule, two Dragon flights are to take place in 2011. During the first flight, the spacecraft will perform the flyby of the ISS, approaching to within 10 km from the station. During the second mission, it is hoped to dock with the ISS.

MOSCOW, April 22 (RIA Novosti)

Thoughts?..

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think they are right to play safe. And now we can't count on the Shuttle for heavy repairs / module replacement.

However, I'd be curious to know what are exactly their criterias for an "acceptable level of reliability".

The bad thought about this : maybe Russia will try to keep it's manned space access exclusivity for the longest time possible... Or waiting that other countries sign a big check in exchange of a "russian reliablility certification"... Money, money... :hmm:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I think they are right to play safe. And now we can't count on the Shuttle for heavy repairs / module replacement.

However, I'd be curious to know what are exactly their criterias for an "acceptable level of reliability".

Thinking rationally, it should be interpreted as an objection to allow docking attempt at first approach of Dragon at the ISS. ATV and HTV did rehearsal approaches before coming in for final docking. Probably, the same is expected to be done by Dragon, too.

The bad thought about this : maybe Russia will try to keep it's manned space access exclusivity for the longest time possible... Or waiting that other countries sign a big check in exchange of a "russian reliablility certification"... Money, money... :hmm:

I wouldn't be totally surprised of that. There's no contra-monopoly law denying them doing so, but in my imagination future good relations and reputation of a good contractor cost more than today's revenue for someone who plans for the future.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
My thoughts:

I don't think it actually has anything to do with Russia having concerns with Dragon. I think it has more to do with Russia wanting to be treated as an equal partner. For example: NASA insists on Russia giving them information on all Soyuz & Progress launches. NASA even conduct meetings to discuss whether the ISS is ready to accept the Soyuz/Progress. These meetings always result in a "Go". However, if they ever resulted in a "No-Go", I wonder whether Russia would actually postpone the Soyuz/Progress launch? I doubt it. Russia would likely see it as just another attempt by the Americans to control something that doesn't belong to them.

Now, Russia are merely asking to review Dragon - exactly like the Americans ask to review Soyuzes/Progresses. And there is outrage. Why is it acceptable for the Americans to have a say in Russian spacecraft, but not acceptable for Russia to have a say in American spacecraft? That's not an equal partnership. And that's why I think this move by Russia is merely an attempt to "flex their muscles" and show America that they want to be a partner, not a 2nd thought.

Ark

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to say "Screw the Ruskies, dock it anyway", the ISS represents a huge investment to Russia just as it does to the US, and we should give them a say on safety.

I do wonder about the politics, though. Russia is about to become the sole provider of manned spaceflight for basically the entire world, which means they can charge whatever they want for a Soyuz seat. SpaceX is threatening to launch six or seven people for the cost of one Soyuz seat.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
SpaceX is threatening to launch six or seven people for the cost of one Soyuz seat

That's not done yet ;)

Ark

Reaction score
That's not done yet ;)

They are, by far, the most promising company for private, manned spaceflight. It's in Russia's best interest to keep Dragon from flying as long as possible to maintain their impending monopoly on spending people to the ISS. Even if it stays unmanned, why pay the Russian's rates for a Progress launch when SpaceX can deliver the same cargo cheaper?

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Just wait, I think all will be fine, and Space X will eventually get to dock. Even if it's delayed. On cost, it's not about cost, it's about capability. Sure russia can corner the market for a while, but not forever. Just wait.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceflight: NASA managers aligning to combine final Dragon COTS test missions:
NASA HQ appear to be closing in on a decision to combine the second and third of three planned Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) demonstration flights (C2 and C3) of SpaceX’s Dragon capsule. Internal schedules, presentations and memos are continuing to point towards a working plan for a preliminary November 30 launch date for the beefed up mission, although challenges remain ahead of approval.

{...}

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
A 60 second long test firing of Falcon 9's second stage. This stage will be used for the third Falcon 9 flight to put Dragon in an orbit around Earth.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score

Thats because Dragon was designed to be an LEO cargo capsule from its conception.

Orion was designed to be a BEO manned spacecraft from its conception, which is a much much more difficult thing to make.

Mix in some NASA bureaucracy and its no wonder that SpaceX launched ''first''. You can't compare apples with oranges.

And i'm not attacking SpaceX, by the way. I love what SpaceX are doing, and I really hope they get the manned craft developed soon!

And FYI LM have tested lots of hardware already. They have a working spacecraft on the ground which is validating all the techniques to build the real deal, it has passed all of its tests. They have also flown a pad-abort test, which was a great success.