SSU Development Thread (3.0 to 4.0)

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've uploaded a link to OH. It's going through review, so it might not show up for another 24 hours.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, I think the Ku band antenna will have to wait as we need MDMs to talk to the displays on panel A2.

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

A thing that I could do is integrate the Vandenberg files into our files, reducing the addon dependency and fixing the texture error that shows up in the log file.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I think the Ku band antenna will have to wait as we need MDMs to talk to the displays on panel A2.

Are you really sure that A2 is connected to the Ku-Band antenna via MDM and GPCs?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Range tracking is always automatic, although computer-designated ranges are applied to the Ku-band system until automatic tracking is achieved. In the automatic tracking mode, the Ku-band system provides actual antenna angle, angle rate, range, and range rate data through an MDM for rendezvous and proximity operations. Data routed to panel A2 represent hard-wired azimuth, elevation, range and range rate information, which is not processed by the GPCs.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/comm/orbcomm/kurndz.html

Last edited:

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hey, sorry for probably misunderstanding a point.

You replaced 2.0 with 3.0 on OH, but I still use 2.0 for some things. Can it still be downloaded... from SF?

Thanks.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This the block diagrams of the three track modes of the Ku band system from the Ku band system workbook:

Ku_bd_IF_GPC_track_modes.jpg

Ku_bd_IF_AUTO_track_modes.jpg

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Are you really sure that A2 is connected to the Ku-Band antenna via MDM and GPCs?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/comm/orbcomm/kurndz.html

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry, yesterday was a long day... :(
So, we can have the antenna search a target, around an area we specify by manually moving the antenna, and when it locks, the data is displayed in the 7-disp and "chart" on panel A2. Correct?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry, yesterday was a long day... :(
So, we can have the antenna search a target, around an area we specify by manually moving the antenna, and when it locks, the data is displayed in the 7-disp and "chart" on panel A2. Correct?

Correct. But DaveS is possibly right about needing a tiny bit of the DPS for changing from communication to radar mode (or back).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Correct. But DaveS is possibly right about needing a tiny bit of the DPS for changing from communication to radar mode (or back).
Yes, GNC SPEC 33 REL NAV.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, GNC SPEC 33 REL NAV.

Not sure, if that SPEC is required. I mean COMM or ANTENNA there.

AFAIR, REL NAV is only needed for incorporating radar data from EA2 into navigation.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not sure, if that SPEC is required. I mean COMM or ANTENNA there.

AFAIR, REL NAV is only needed for incorporating radar data from EA2 into navigation.
COMM is only for monitoring S-band/Ku-band component temps, no rendezvous or comm stuff there. ANTENNA is just KU BAND systems stuff. The actual switching is done from A1U, KU BAND MODE switch. It has three positions, RDR COOP, RDR PASSIVE and COMM.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, according to the RNDZ checklist of STS-134, ANTENNA is actually only needed for self-test. No DPS needed beyond that for getting the Ku-Band antenna into passive radar mode initially.

Same for REL NAV - RADAR is only activated as navigation source after activating the radar according to KU BND OPS cuecard.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
If I understand the SCOM correctly:
POWER >> ON
MODE >> RDR PASSIVE
KU BAND >> AUTO TRACK
SLEW switches to desired antenna position
KU BAND SEARCH
(antenna starts spiral)
(antenna finds target)
(antenna starts auto track and info is displayed)

this would have the antenna tracking a target, while displaying all that pretty info on panel A2, correct?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If I understand the SCOM correctly:
POWER >> ON
MODE >> RDR PASSIVE
KU BAND >> AUTO TRACK
SLEW switches to desired antenna position
KU BAND SEARCH
(antenna starts spiral)
(antenna finds target)
(antenna starts auto track and info is displayed)

this would have the antenna tracking a target, while displaying all that pretty info on panel A2, correct?
For radar mode, it seems correct. But before that can happen, we need the activation procedure to put the Ku system into the proper state. And that involves a bit of DPS for crew interface (SM SPEC 76 COMMS and SM ANTENNA).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For radar mode, it seems correct. But before that can happen, we need the activation procedure to put the Ku system into the proper state. And that involves a bit of DPS for crew interface (SM SPEC 76 COMMS and SM ANTENNA).

Nothing precisely critical for our project though. We have no faults yet, so the missing self-test in ANTENNA is no harm. We can add the missing SPECs before 4.0 goes into the world.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

It's DISP 76, so it only does output. But if it needs SM ANTENNA, then this is not going to happen.
My "Vandenberg offer" still stands.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's DISP 76, so it only does output. But if it needs SM ANTENNA, then this is not going to happen.
My "Vandenberg offer" still stands.

I feel slightly ignored.

SM ANTENNA is not critical. The only function that is executed there is the Ku Band self-test. Since we have no failures right now, its no big loss.

And again: Before 4.0 goes public, we should also have the time to add SM ANTENNA to the DPS anyway, so the release goals would be achieved.

We just can't execute a self-test before the DPS is done.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I feel slightly ignored.

SM ANTENNA is not critical. The only function that is executed there is the Ku Band self-test. Since we have no failures right now, its no big loss.

And again: Before 4.0 goes public, we should also have the time to add SM ANTENNA to the DPS anyway, so the release goals would be achieved.

We just can't execute a self-test before the DPS is done.
This is correct. The KU BAND SELF TEST (ITEM 7) and I/O RESET KU (ITEM 8) is only interfaces between the Ku system and the GPCs. The COMMS display is what matters during Ku activation (mainly KU PWR OUT).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
... and the KU band antenna just hit another brick wall. Correct me if I'm wrong graphics department folks, but we don't have a panel A1U. :facepalm:
So, what will it be: Vandenberg, merging upper stages to trunk or both?

In other news, the religious people will probably like this, and the others will too: SSU was downloaded from the Vatican :hailprobe:.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
... and the KU band antenna just hit another brick wall. Correct me if I'm wrong graphics department folks, but we don't have a panel A1U. :facepalm:
We do:

AFD_A1U.jpg