Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just tried the version demo (no money to buy the other versions :cry:). Well, this is pretty fun, and I've seen on videos there have been a lot improvements and content added.

Plotting a TMI (Trans-Munar-Injection :lol:) is a little complicated without navigation tools though. :p

I made a pretty simple, maneouverable and Munar-missions capable rocket, with as a first stage 3 tanks + 1 gimbal-capable engine, strapped around that core 6x the same config as boosters (that was clearly inspired by the EELVs !), some stringers to make the thing structurally safe, and as an upper stage 2 tanks + stabilisation device + RCS tank + 8 RCS pods. It flies very well, but requires some throttling down to optimize the ascent (a dynamic pressure indicator would be precious :p).

The idea of scaling down the "solar" system is brillant !

Excellent work, I think that one is promised to a great future, I'll buy it as soon as I'll be able to afford it ! :thumbup:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I just tried the version demo (no money to buy the other versions :cry:). Well, this is pretty fun, and I've seen on videos there have been a lot improvements and content added.

Plotting a TMI (Trans-Munar-Injection :lol:) is a little complicated without navigation tools though. :p

I made a pretty simple, maneouverable and Munar-missions capable rocket, with as a first stage 3 tanks + 1 gimbal-capable engine, strapped around that core 6x the same config as boosters (that was clearly inspired by the EELVs !), some stringers to make the thing structurally safe, and as an upper stage 2 tanks + stabilisation device + RCS tank + 8 RCS pods. It flies very well, but requires some throttling down to optimize the ascent (a dynamic pressure indicator would be precious :p).

The idea of scaling down the "solar" system is brillant !

Excellent work, I think that one is promised to a great future, I'll buy it as soon as I'll be able to afford it ! :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure you've figured out the method of waiting until the mun rises (in a 90* 0inc orbit) then firewalling the throttle. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson "POWWEEERRRRRR"

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The fact is that the perfectly equatorial orbit of the Mun is very convenient :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I couldn't resist so... Here it is. The KR-XII-M (M for Munar :lol:). Ultimate product of the dementia of Kerbal rocket designers. Goes to Munar orbit easily !

First stage + LRBs feature 9x LV-T30 and 3x LV-T45 (the core) that allow thrust vectoring. The winglets were required for additional stability. The 28x FL-500 fuel tanks are crossfed in a way that the LRBs (that are the real powerhouse) run out of fuel only several seconds before the core.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I couldn't resist so... Here it is. The KR-XII-M (M for Munar :lol:). Ultimate product of the dementia of Kerbal rocket designers. Goes to Munar orbit easily !

First stage + LRBs feature 9x LV-T30 and 3x LV-T45 (the core) that allow thrust vectoring. The winglets were required for additional stability. The 28x FL-500 fuel tanks are crossfed in a way that the LRBs (that are the real powerhouse) run out of fuel only several seconds before the core.

From the look of it, Id say that one rattles to orbit as much as it flies :lol:. One of the major issues with building real HLVs in KSP is the lack of structural stability, even when reinforced. Staging usually is rather scary on rockets like that

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it took me some time to figure out, but that one isn't subject to the dreadful pogo oscillations. Stringers works a little like a gothic cathedral :).

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I probably can't convince my parents to buy this game (since it's just like Orbiter but with some features like being able to build rockets like they were made out of Lego bricks), but I'm glad to see that this game is opening others up to aerospace engineering in a fun way.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Had to download at work (SHHHHH) because the patcher refuses to work on my system for some reason. Couple threads on KSP forums with same error went unresolved too. First time I've been pretty eager for an update in some time, mostly because I hope this means added nonsandbox gameplay is coming soon.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Had to download at work (SHHHHH) because the patcher refuses to work on my system for some reason. Couple threads on KSP forums with same error went unresolved too. First time I've been pretty eager for an update in some time, mostly because I hope this means added nonsandbox gameplay is coming soon.

I just had to download the new patcher and was good.
And had to Alt+Enter to get fullscreen for some reason. (It wouldn't do it otherwise)
Very cool looking improvements! (loving the soundtrack) Still wishing for a new PC.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Excellent, I'll have to give this a go! Docking was one of the big things I was waiting for...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that KSP is becoming more Orbiter-like?

The new flight planning reminds me of transx.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that KSP is becoming more Orbiter-like?

The new flight planning reminds me of transx.

You mean the space sim is becoming a space sim? :lol:
I think what happened is that the users are aiming higher and higher as a whole, achieving more, and asking for bigger challenges and more freedom.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Maybe so... But remember how some of the guys on their forum were pretty anti-realism early on? Almost hateful about it too.
Good to see that Kerbal is getting... Less Kerbal?

I like it, as it's fun and light-hearted way to spend some time.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Maybe so... But remember how some of the guys on their forum were pretty anti-realism early on? Almost hateful about it too.

I believe that is primarily because they featured customization and more importantly, explosions. That attracted a crowd of people who are far more interested in crashing into the ground than simulating spaceflight and accomplishing serious goals.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i think it was "cautiously realistic" because back then, there was really no way to gauge how well the advanced features would be received by the more gamey crowd...

but since, it has become more and more clear that the way KSP presents the challenges of spaceflight through a sadistically rewarding trial-and-error gameplay makes for a powerful learning-curve booster

so while a serious simulator gives you frustration in making rookie mistakes, KSP makes it fun and hilarious, and failure is made out to be part of the fun in game, as is learning from the often fiery results as you go along

KSP has reached the holy grail of interactive design - it makes the hardest of concepts something accessible fun to learn - and it does it without falling to the temptations of cutting features because at first they appear "difficult"

while big developers *cough*spore*cough* would find similar features presented "problems", KSP looked at them searching for "solutions" instead

and that's what made it great

i think we should all be proud too - if it were not for Orbiter to inspire it, KSP wouldn't ever have been conceived to begin with (true story, i was there) :hmm:

:cheers:

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
I really love KSP, especially since the 0.18 patch. With docking and the manoeuvre mode (like TransX :thumbup: ), it adds a lot to the game. In my humble opinion, it is almost more challenging for me than orbiter since you have to build your own rocket to get to other planets. Once you get used to TransX in orbiter, you can go almost everywhere (providing you have the right spaceship).
But, the learning curve in Orbiter is really steep compared to KSP since a small error can cause the whole mission to fail. In KSP, it is more a design challenge. You don't have heat reentry (yet) and some other stuff concerning atmosphere that makes orbiter harder to learn, but once you get more comfortable with orbiter, it become easier since you don't need to build your rockets to get to point A to point B.

But I love both games so much lol :cheers:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that!

I'm very happy to see how people understood the intended 'feel' of the game in exactly the way we hoped they would... I think that's one of the most difficult things to design for.. the intended mood that the game is meant to get across. :)

About the flight planning system feeling like TransX, well, don't mind if I take that as a compliment too. ;) ...I've always felt one of the coolest features in TransX was the maneuver mode, and how you chased your burn vector around to get dV to zero. So yeah, that was definitely a big inspiration, and if it works half as well as TransX does, then I consider it a big success. :)

:cheers:

Cheers

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
Comparing it to TransX was indeed a compliment since it is the MFD I prefer in Orbiter, and I was expecting something along those lines for KSP. The difference is that it is more intuitive and user-friendly in KSP. But again, Orbiter is more a hardcore-simulator type of game IMO, and KSP is more about having fun trying not to blow up rockets :lol:

And like Moach said, KSP makes failure feel fun instead of frustrating :thumbup:

Edit: P.S: I like the new look of Kerbin, with the rivers and stuff, looks nice.

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
The rocket explosions are an excellent by-product. :p