Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think I have a powerful enough computer to run those atmosphere/cloud enhancement mods.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Not much power is needed at all, for those, or at least that's my impression. If in doubt just copy your install, mod it and see how it fares.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think I have a powerful enough computer to run those atmosphere/cloud enhancement mods.
7 years old Core2Quad Q6700 and 4 years old GeForce GTX 285 are more than sufficient to run them just fine (additionally in 32-bit version of KSP, so not much more than 4 GiB of RAM is required, either).

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Anyone else now have many identical, duplicate parts?

I'm wondering if something went wrong with my patching.

Last edited:

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Anyone else find this update a little anticlimactic? A year or so ago, HarvesteR made a blog post talking about the asymptotic nature of game development, where the closer a game gets to 'finished' the less substantive each update gets, which was why KSP devs have been focusing on career mode for the last several updates. It didn't exist at all a year and a half ago, and thus was low-hanging fruit for big, substantive updates. And now, with 0.25 we get exploding buildings and the ability to convert freely between funds and science and reputation, in a game where none of those is ever scarce. The space plane parts were imported wholesale from a mod and the difficulty settings were mostly already available via the debug panel and config files. There just ain't that much there with 0.25; it seems we're reaching the upper end of the asymptote with regard to career mode. I fully expected this update to do something regarding the hiring and training and abilities of individual kerbals, which to me seems like the final low-hanging fruit left in career mode. (Though a mission planning and statistics facility would also be pretty awesome.)

Anyway, I love KSP, and would be perfectly satisfied even if it never updated again, which I suppose is good because it truly does seem like development is winding down.

And exploding buildings?! I watched the youtube video where Scott Manley, in its first 20 seconds, drops an asteroid on KSC and thought, "Well that pretty much wrung all of the content out of that particular update right there. What is there left to do with regard to exploding buildings now?"

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Honestly I've had that feeling for quite a while.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I think that feeling is a part of all early access games.
There are still a few more interesting things coming but the really neat stuff will probably be in mods.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I agree 100%, there are waaaay more important things to add to KSP to make it closer to "complete" than exploding buildings...

My short list:

Clouds and better atmospheric effects (Available in Astronomer's... mod)
Life support and consumables (TAC LS)
Autopilots (Mechjeb)
Better aerodynamics (NEAR and FAR)
Better plane parts (Firespitter)

Those should really be in the stock game if you ask me. As I said on Facebook, it's ok for these features to be available as mods, but it really, really should be in the paid-for game.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
OK, I hadn't seen the FAQ for the new update before, which actually addresses most of my concerns:

This update came out really fast. It's not a dream, is it?
We’ve taken on a new direction in the way our development schedule runs. It allows us to plan and implement a smaller set of features that we can deliver to you without some of the wider update gaps we’ve released things under in the past.

Why was destructible buildings implemented over new biomes, planets or other community requests?
As explained before, adding them wasn’t precisely hard or time consuming once we got the new systems in. Their being there is really just the visible side of a much larger revision of the KSC and Kerbin setup, plus the addition of new sound and particle effects. Adding support for destructible facilities was the best way to implement all these new things, and didn’t require us to go silent for several months on a large part of development.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Also this:

Why the big fuss over destructible buildings?
They fit the aesthetics and theme of KSP, were fun to make and in reality are just a bonus from a big feature coming in 0.26. Ted also has a shorter reason: Because they're Destructible. Freaking. Buildings.

I really hope the "big feature" isn't some kind of war thing. Kids today already have plenty of options for violent computer games.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I really hope the "big feature" isn't some kind of war thing. Kids today already have plenty of options for violent computer games.

Yeah, though I'm pretty sure that Squad has a pretty firm stance against wargaming with KSP. (They quickly lock threads on the official forums that advocate this kind of play.) My hope is that the plan is for more narrative based missions: a failed launch blew up your pad, caused major damage to the VAB, and dealt a major blow to your space program's reputation. Can you still land a kerbal on the Mun before the year is out?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
They mentioned that accidentally destroying a facility will incur major costs in career mode.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
They mentioned that accidentally destroying a facility will incur major costs in career mode.

Replacing the VAB costs you 480,000 funds at standard settings. That's more than even three of my most complex and expensive rockets.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Perhaps they should finish the game up, release it onto consoles as well and then start on Kerbal 2.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If it is to enable persistent cratering when you crash hard, then I'm all for it... would make KSC interesting to fly over after a couple of years of botched attempts by Jeb...

That being said, I still maintain that whoever is in charge of their Facebook account places WAAAAAAAAAY too much emphasis on MythKerBusters: Let's blow stuff up for ratings.

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone else now have many identical, duplicate parts?

I'm wondering if something went wrong with my patching.

Same problem here. Have you found out what is causing this and how to fix it?
I searched the support forum but could not find anything related to that (yet).