Project Agamemnon Omega-Class Destroyer (Babylon 5)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think you should reduce the bumps on the bow and aft panels of the ship a lot, it looks too rough there compared to the series. But on the gravity section and the central column, it looks perfect.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
May I suggest that Starfury launch deck would be darkened in a way. In the series, it was glowing dark-red, usually.

I have that implemented slightly in the Cortez. The materials of the inside of the hangar bays have a low red emissive value, very little ambient. Will add it to the 'to-do' list. Thanks.

Actually right now the deck has a slight yellow glow to it, as seen in the compilation video in the first post. If red would be the preferred color, I can certainly change it very easily. I was just attempting to stay as true to the available footage as I could.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about animating the gun turrets?
And a view from the bridge?
And Ivanova?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As suggested, I adjusted the maps on the front shields and side hull to be a bit lower. I agree, a much better look and closer to the show. Thanks Urwumpe.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Latest news - I've set up a Git repository for the Agamemnon over at Github, so if anyone wants to contribute to the code, you are welcome to. Repository name is, shockingly, n122vu/Agamemnon.

One change I need to make and commit is re-positioning the effective locations of the RCS thrusters, as this is copied code from the EAS Cortez, so they are well beyond the length of the ship.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool! At the very least I can learn from this. :)
What sorts of things are you looking to add to this?

Also, whoa, octocat! :blink:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nothing too fancy as a first release. Probably a few places to 'land' in the hangar bay, similar to what I did in the Cortez but minus the big ugly glowing green balls. Plus, since the ship is considerably shorter than the Cortez, I believe I will be able to use Payload Manager in the hangar bay, so I will probably add that into the mix as well (there appears to be a limit in PM, subsequently UCD, that you can't attach a payload point beyond 999.99 M from CoG). Also, any time I have tried putting attachment points beyond this limit, it has caused issues (disappearing mesh or CTD).

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's pretty fine for a first release! :thumbup:

(there appears to be a limit in PM, subsequently UCD, that you can't attach a payload point beyond 999.99 M from CoG).
It's a billion metres long ?? :j/k:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's pretty fine for a first release! :thumbup:

It's a billion metres long ?? :j/k:

Not quite, but close. The Cortez is 6km long.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
t's a billion metres long ??

I think he meant 999.99 m, not 999.99 M...

otherwise, close is not the word I would use to describe two orders of magnitude. :lol:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think he meant 999.99 m, not 999.99 M...

otherwise, close is not the word I would use to describe two orders of magnitude. :lol:

Yikes. Didn't even see that after the fact. Yes, 999.99 m, not M. Oops.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thinking about dialing down the specular reflection. Thoughts?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as I remember the show, there was some specular power on the shield plates, though not much, and practically none over the rest of the body. So yes, that would seem like a good Idea.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have observed the same. The more pictures and videos I see, the less I'm a fan of the way it looks currently. Will definitely be adjusting the properties. Thanks for the feedback.

**EDIT** Found a bug in the grav section animation where if you pressed K to stop the spin, it would stop spinning when the animation was back at the original mesh state, regardless of the rotation speed. This has been corrected.

It should be noted that the Cortez apparently suffers from the same bug, but it is less noticeable due to the circular-style design of its grav section, and so was not seen during my testing.

Will commit this change to the repository when I also correct RCS locations.

---------- Post added 02-05-12 at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-04-12 at 02:11 PM ----------

RCS thruster definitions are complete. I've also updated several ship parameters to be more correct with B5 cannon (ship mass, ship size). Will be committing these changes to the repository later today and probably uploading a package to the first post of this thread if anyone wants to have a look at where she is currently.

Things I still want to do in the near future:

- At minimal, 2D panel. Eventually, 3D Virtual Cockpit
- Implement Payload Manager support
- Spotlights illuminating the vessel name and EA logo on the side shields, as seen on the show.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Should have committed before I started working on the panel. Told myself and told myself. Now I'm getting a CTD when pressing F8 on internal view. Oh well. Too exhausted from work to fix it this week. Maybe over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Changes have been committed, including the prelim panel code that is currently non-functional. F8 in cockpit currently causes CTD. All other functionality should be working.

XeroZohar

Reaction score
Gotta say, looking forward to this. Babylon 5 is my favorite Sci-Fi series, and frankly I never even thought to look for B5-inspired add-ons until just now. :thumbup:

If I might make a suggestion, perhaps skipping straight to the VC would be more interesting, both for the sake of immersion and so that you don't end up duplicating work in the long run. Unlike some of the other "pilot's vessel" projects out there, I don't see the 'memnon needing 500 buttons on a 2d panel. (Unless you want it that way of course!)

:cheers:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Gotta say, looking forward to this. Babylon 5 is my favorite Sci-Fi series, and frankly I never even thought to look for B5-inspired add-ons until just now. :thumbup:

If I might make a suggestion, perhaps skipping straight to the VC would be more interesting, both for the sake of immersion and so that you don't end up duplicating work in the long run. Unlike some of the other "pilot's vessel" projects out there, I don't see the 'memnon needing 500 buttons on a 2d panel. (Unless you want it that way of course!)

:cheers:

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to see there is still some interest in B5 ships out there. I'll take the VC suggestion into consideration as I'm always looking to eliminate duplication (and do the least amount of work possible) :lol:

In the meantime, if you're looking for B5 ships, you might head over to Orbithangar and check out my first addon, the [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5477"]EAS Cortez[/ame]

**Edit** Correction, my first DLL ship addon. My first real addon was the Jolly Rogers skin for the ol' DGIII.

Last edited: