Turbinator

Reaction score
Col. Quaritch: "You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora, ladies and gentleman."
Col. Quaritch: "I'm gonna see you get your legs back, your REEEEEAL legs."

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Col. Quaritch during initial security briefing: "As security chief it is my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. ...<pause>... Not with all of you. Beyond that perimeter fence everything that runs, flies, or crawls wants to kill you and eat your eyes like Jujubees." :lol:

Military AMP suit team leader as the platoon deploys: "Come on, ladies, let's bring the pain!"

Turbinator

Reaction score
Love the Delta Gliders:
Alpha-Centauri-A-1600-1200.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like summer camp...

In my expierience summer camp is the other way round... everything INSIDE the fence is prone to kill you or make your life miserable in various ways... :lol:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I really hope someone makes Venture Star and mining shuttle addons for Orbiter. These are some of the most realistic spacecraft designs I have seen in scifi they deserve to be put in Orbiter. Pandora moon and that gas giant also would be awesome. With UCGO it could even be possible to simulate the whole RDA mining an interstellar transport operation in Orbiter.

Turbinator

Reaction score
My favorite scene was when Col. Quaritch runs out of facility and starts blasting shots at helicopter leaving. Is then saved by science guy with oxygen mask. I was laughing every time he opened his mouth. About that scene, he kicks open a door that I imagine is something like a submarine/ship door, meant to keep a seal, so it would have some kind of deadbolt locks on it and he kicks it open I lol'd for the rest of the movie.

His character was awesome.

Air? screw that, I don't need to breath.

Whats that, im on FIRE? Who cares.

Now im going to battle you in my ROBOT with a KNIFE!

Attachments

42 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Then what are these potential other factors? Aliens distorting the spacetime continuum? Flesh eating space-sharks?

With lasers on thier heads...

And they exist. So-called "super Jupiters". They get very large.

And its looking like Jupiter is something of a runt in the universe of gas giants.

Although I agree with you that large (Earth-sized) moons are less probable then smaller ones, I would not rule out the possibility of them forming.

There is no reason at all for Earth sized moons to not form around them, esp. the super and "hot Jupiters" which I guess we have to assume the one that "Pandora" is set around is, because its not a frozen ice ball like Jupiter's moons...

combrown

Reaction score
Hi all, very interesting to see what people thought of the movie.
Remember it is just a movie, like orbiter is a simulator.

For entertainment purposes it certainly has done what alot of other movies are not doing at the moment.
It has to appeal to a wide audience to so it can't afford to be too complicated.
Anyway whilst we are on the topic of fantasy.

Mine is one that seems to be of little discussion.
The last post here shows the ships that I hope you talented folk are going to have a go at.
I do not like to pick on you people as you provide me with so much software that I am sorry to say is a little dissapointing.
All major intersteller / Planetary ships are yucky in my eyes.
Sorry guys.
This movie gave a prime example of what we need in orbiter, a sexy looking interstellar ship with DG like shuttles to go to and from with.

Naturally I would not expect it to be as detailed as the movie but I am sure you talented ladies and gents are capable of something fairly close.

In the realms of DG XR1 and DG IV would certainly do it justice.
Sorry to be rude but I want to get on topic.

Love you guys

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
I saw the movie yesterday and I think it was awesome. The best scene for me was when they said that they wanted to get the Na'vi out of their village to be able to mine the precious mineral, called Unobtainium :D

Dambuster

Reaction score
I saw the movie yesterday and I think it was awesome. The best scene for me was when they said that they wanted to get the Na'vi out of their village to be able to mine the precious mineral, called Unobtainium :D

Same here, I was trying not to laugh at that moment. For immersion's sake, I decided to pretend to myself that that was just their nickname for it :p

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Colonel Quaritch deserves to be cloned into new Avatar body then a special AMP suit that`s at least 5 times larger and stronger than normal suit built for him and then unleashed into Pandora jungle - that`s how badass he is

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I saw the movie on Friday. While I really enjoyed it, I really question how they're going to make a trilogy out of this. All I can imagine is... well, more humans coming to mine the unobtainium (I too laughed at the name).

The 3d effects were very nice at times, even if slightly disorienting when branches would suddenly appear. And those computer screens just made me jealous. I want one now. Other times, I didn't even notice it, and began to question if it was worth the extra money. But then the scene went outdoors, and I liked it again.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Colonel Quaritch deserves to be cloned into new Avatar body then a special AMP suit that`s at least 5 times larger and stronger than normal suit built for him and then unleashed into Pandora jungle - that`s how badass he is

No, that guy was such a jerk!! A xenophobic, psychopathic jerk! :D Him and the bureaucratic civilian!

And those computer screens just made me jealous. I want one now. Other times, I didn't even notice it, and began to question if it was worth the extra money. But then the scene went outdoors, and I liked it again.

Same!!

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I saw the movie on Friday. While I really enjoyed it, I really question how they're going to make a trilogy out of this. All I can imagine is... well, more humans coming to mine the unobtainium (I too laughed at the name).

It`s inevitable that more humans will arrive, there should be several ships already in transit and they can`t just turn back. When next ship arrives crew won`t be happy to find out mining operation is stopped and base taken over by natives. It`s going to be very tough situation. Just refueling the ship and going home empty will imply enormous looses to RDA. Either the diplomatic solution is found and humans are allowed to mine with condition they stay away from Navi sacred sites or it`s full scale war with Navi and all Pandora critters.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Regarding Unobainium seen in Avatar:

When the world's first high-temperature superconductor was created in the late twentieth century. It proved to be useless because of inherent instabilities. Further efforts proved futile, and researchers finally termed their goal "Unobtainium" (the spelling was later changed to "Unobtanium" to conform to the chemical element naming, although Unobtanium is a compound not an element). There matters stood until the first unmanned exploration vehicle reached Alpha Centauri A and discovered deposits of a high-temperature superconducting substance on an Earth-like moon named Pandora - Unobtanium had been obtained at last.

Researchers theorize that billions of years ago, when the planets and satellites of the Alpha Centauri system were condensing from the primordial stellar nebula, A Mars-sized planetesimal may have crashed into the still molten Pandora. The moon's nickel-iron core was disrupted. The high temperatures and pressures produced in the collision far exceeded anything wrought by human technology. These forces interacted with Polyphemus's intense magnetic field and created conditions suitable for the production of Unobtanium.

It is a room temperature super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable: it's worth $20 Million per kilogram unrefined (worth $40 million per kilogram refined) on Earth. However, It is predominantly expensive to mine on Pandora as humans are unable to breathe in the Pandoran toxic atmosphere. Because of this, all personnel are required to wear a Exopack which is very cumbersome. Humans transport Unobtainium on trucks called Hell Trucks from the mines back to Hell's Gate for refining.
Unobtanium proved to be the most baffling of scientific discoveries in the area of superconductors as it had an extremely strong magnetic field, reversing prior knowledge that all superconductors repel magnetic fields. Furthermore, unlike the fragile crystals of human-created superconducting compounds, the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasicrystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged but also has mircoscopic voids in the quasicrytalline structure that contain the magnetic flux lines. Unobtanium has a unique magnetic field and properties of superconductivity, causing it to levitate. On Pandora, the magnetic effect causes huge outcroppings of Unobtainium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortexes. These huge islands, named Hallelujah Mountains by Earth's explorers, are called Thundering Rocks by the Na'vi, who hold them sacred. The unique magnetic properties of Unobtainium are used to contain and direct the energy of the Matter-Antimatter annihilation which propels ships like ISV Venture Star. Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtainium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora .

Originally, the term "unobtanium" was used to describe the material as a joke. However, over the years, the name appears to have stuck.

Helltruck.jpg

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
There really can`t be any energy problems on Earth. The fact that regular interstellar flight is possible means humans have access to enormous amounts of cheap energy. It`s mentioned in background materials the interstellar ships are accelerated on their outbound leg by means of laser sail. In order to do so in reasonable time that laser alone must put out far more power than Earth could possibly consume even with ridiculous overpopulation. In Avatarverse the energy literally is too cheap to meter.

Turbinator

Reaction score
The Interstellar Vehicle Venture Star (also known as ISV Venture Star) transports supplies, equipment, personnel, refined ore, and data between Earth and Pandora; however, it never lands on Pandora's surface. Instead, it sends smaller vessels, called Valkyries, to rendevous upon the moon's surface. Venture Star arrives at Pandora after more than five Earth years in transit: the hundred-plus humans onboard -- apart from the four man flight crew -- are in cryosleep for the entirety of the trip.

Its hybrid fusion/antimatter engines hurl out incandescent plasma over one million times brighter than a welding arc, with an exhaust plume twenty miles long. At the rear of the ship is a mirror shield, which protects the ship from the intense light of the beamed-power laser from Earth that the very same mirror uses as a man-made solar wind; used much like a solar sail for long term acceleration, and deceleration of the vessel without using on-board reactor mass. The mirror shield also acts as multi-layer interstellar debris shield during periods of flight in which the engines are not being used.

The engines are at the front, with the rest of the ship dragged behind; this reduces the structural mass penalty. The arrangement is based on the Valkyrie starship design.

The ISV Venture Star is just one of ten starships which the RDA operates utilizes for interstellar trade between Earth and Pandora. Interstellar starships such as the ISV Venture Star require unobtanium in their manufacture, due to unobtanium's role in providing containment for antimatter-matter reactions.

Cargo
The ISV Venture Star is capable of carrying 350 tons of cargo. The cargo consisting of triple backed up drawings for the Stereolighography plant. Micro-miniaturized components like mirco- and nanoprocessors and other circuitry elements that cannot be manufactured in the plant. Two Valkyrie landing crafts, 200 passengers in cryosleep, drugs and other medications that cannot be produced on site, avatars and their amino tanks.

On the return to earth the ISV Venture Star carries mainly Refined unobtanium but also Small Na’vi artifacts to be sold as collectables to wealthy individuals for extremely high prices. Also data with molecular structure of Pandoran organic compounds that may have medical or other applications on Earth. The data will be used to synthesize them for testing and eventual sale back on Earth.

Capabilities
Given the transit time of five years from Earth to Alpha Centauri A (a distance of 4.37 light years[4]), ISV Venture Star's average velocity is approximately 0.874 the speed of light. Allowing for acceleration and deceleration time at five gravities (approximately 49 meters per second squared), its maximum velocity must be somewhat higher.

Also note that due to time dilation effects experienced at velocities higher than 0.1 times the speed of light, an Earth-time voyage of 5 years only seems like 2.43 years, or approximately 2 years, 5 months, and 5 days for the ship itself at a velocity of 0.874 c.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I saw the movie 2 weeks ago. Initially I was quite thrilled after reading all the information on the movie site, about the Valkyrie-type spaceship and all the other gizmos and backgrounds. Obviously the scriptwriters had made a great deal of research to find plausible solutions for the plot settings.

While the visual effects were great, I was somehow disapointed with the story.
The story seems to composed of 2 well-know tales:
- Pocahontas (the native Indians being blue this time :) . They even ride horses ...)
- The word for world is forest (a good book by the way)

But I fully agree that the Pandora system and vessels would make great Orbiter addons. Just the 'pulling' design of the interstellar ship may be difficultto model, as each maneuver would result in a whiplash effect on the cargo being pulled behind the drive.