Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That would be cool !! How about Mars ?

Can you fit a greenhouse and a toilet into it? Would become a bit tiny.

Maybe we should come up with a larger "coastguard" vessel for such long range trips, where the Black Dart can dock to. ;)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How about a habitat in tow ?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dart in orbit.

Attachments

• DartOrb.jpg
    DartOrb.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 105

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Three words: Ooo la la.

Looking pretty! Can't wait to take her for a spin!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How about a habitat in tow ?

Well, likely it would need to be towed by the habitat to mars, then, at least from the dimensions.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
You know, I'm in the process of thinking about perhaps designing and making a series of Bussard-Ramjet UMMU interplanetary craft, and I realise that this would be an excellent craft for my mother-ship style craft to support, if you get my drift. Looking good, mate!

DanP

Reaction score
Very cool Donamy! What kind of on-board propullsion will it have?

Waiting for more!

Balladeer

Reaction score
Donamy that is one outstanding looking space plane! I absolutely love the military style spacecraft for Orbiter. They're my favorite. This space bird looks kin the the Blackbird. Thanks for the work.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A couple more:

Attachments

• Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DartonRnwy.jpg
    DartonRnwy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Dartonstation.jpg
    Dartonstation.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
  • landed.jpg
    landed.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 73

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Looking good! I note that the rcs is pop-out, nifty idea. At the moment, do you see the rcs coming out instantly (ie, press the button, rcs is on-line instantly), or actually taking time? Will there be something to discorage re-entries and atmospheric flight with the rcs out?

By the way, nice tail fin logo.

DanP

Reaction score
That looks truely fantastic!

Not traditionally beautiful but military-x-plane style beautiful, which is much better! Nice SR-71 quotes.

Is that a retractable RCS? nice idea! I'm wondering whether the doors need to be opened wider as they seem quite close to the exhaust ?

Have you any ideas yet for payloads? How big is that payload bay? I bet you could fit a hab module for 2-3 extra people or a docking/EVA module in there. The only downside is that if you put a robotic arm in there I doubt there will be room left to actually put anything in the payload bay that you captured with the arm.

So again, brilliant work!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks very much, for the input ! The forward RCS ,retract very early, before re-entry, the aft RCS, retract when the air is dense enough, to provide stability and not be a problem, in the airstream. The RCS doors, are not in the RCS plume direction. The RCS also provide stability, for the Hover engine/s, in less dense or no-atmosphere planets and moons. There is a crew area, behind the pilot, it can seat six(including pilot) however there isn't any room, for anything else. I have an RMS scaled to size, that doesn't take up much room, but it is somethig that has to be attached. It is not part of the mesh. I suppose it could have anything that can fit, put into the bay. It's demensions are 14 ft. x 8 ft.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the rear RCS should be fixed, only for the reason, even with very optimistic reentry aerodynamics, RCS would be active until lower Mach numbers (less than Mach 10 in the best flyable case) - and retracting something at high dynamic pressure is not easy.

Also, I would suggest making the crew area modular (by IVA), so it can be adapted to different missions.

penlu

Reaction score
That is beautiful. Add scramjets, everything needs scramjets. Fuel efficient, doesn't need to have its oxidiser in tanks...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is beautiful. Add scramjets, everything needs scramjets. Fuel efficient, doesn't need to have its oxidiser in tanks...

I think scramjets are not really fitting to this design, like it is now, it looks more functional-military, than by adding air intakes and nozzles for a scramjet.

Outside the atmosphere, scramjets are, like wings and landing gear, dead weight. The question is always: Do you really need them? If you can't find a good justification, it is better to leave them away. Perfection is not reached, when there is nothing left to be added, but when there is nothing left to be taken away.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Revised Dart:

Added OMS and of course fuel for them, also opted for conventional RCS system.

Attachments

• revDart.jpg
    revDart.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 68
  • RevDart2.jpg
    RevDart2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 74

DanP

Reaction score
Looks amazing! Conventional RCS looks even better than (the very cool) retractable one.

I like the OMS configuration. Seems it retains the large middle nozzle though. Will that be the main propulsion system functioning as a (cryogenic?) upper stage on ascent, with the OMS used in orbit, or do you have a different approach?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Most likely, the main engine will be used for TLE and return. Still classified.

xmariox

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very interesting and nice Don!