Black Dart update

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Small Update... currently work on including the many animations into the module, Not sure if I will have a flyable version done this evening.

I also started documenting the module on OrbiterWiki, should make it simpler for you to test fly the modules.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow, that was fast !! We need to make a list, of the where and what, for the VC. Like, how many buttons needed on a keypad, and if you want to make a working ADI, for the backup to the MFD's.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wow, that was fast !! We need to make a list, of the where and what, for the VC. Like, how many buttons needed on a keypad, and if you want to make a working ADI, for the backup to the MFD's.

Fast? Except the logic and the rotating nose wheel tires, I just translated the stuff from the spacecraft3.ini! :speakcool:

I have not even a clue on which subsystems the vehicle should have... But I have an idea on the fluff background story of the Black Dart. A really small ADI would make sense (mobile phone display sized).

I think the VC would have to come once we know what is inside it, or we would at least have to plan with rapid changes there.

---------------

The movement of the main engine by the Hover engine keys does now work mostly, I just have just a small bug in the interlock logic for the main engine doors.

Two visual bugs: The main engine seems to exist two times inside the mesh, but with different group labels (I use meshc again).

There is a small structural bridge at the bottom aft end, which would be inside the main engine exhaust during transition. Better leave the bottom completely open, so we can transit directly from vertical flight to horizontal flight.

Maybe I can even make it possible to implement the altitude hold autopilot inside the module, so you can theoretically stand on the main engine exhaust during flight.

-----Posted Added-----

Double meshgroup problem fixed: Actually, I had forgotten checking if I already added the main mesh to the vehicle. Fixed, canopy animation is also implemented.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll take alook at the mesh and see where the dup is. I would rather leave the main engine doors, they look cool opening. ;)

Here is the Dart after a successful drop test from a B-52.

Attachments

• Darttanks.jpg
    Darttanks.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 96

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, Bay doors are now implemented, also it is now UMMU compatible (My first UMMU compatible add-on, Yay!).

Next to come: Hatch & ladder, followed by EVA on pressing E

The main engines doors can stay like that, but I just dislike the small structure on the aft end behind the doors... should get toasted when we want to transit from vertical liftoff to horizontal flight without cutting the engines.

BTW, on the main engines, my suggestion for the internal model: We use a fictive He3 fusion engine, which can reach the desired 3.5G peak acceleration by injecting RCS/OMS reaction mass into the chamber (lowers ISP, increases thrust by chamber pressure).

-----Posted Added-----

Hatch & Ladder implemented. EVA in development.

-----Posted Added-----

OK, EVA does not work, because it does not keep the crew. Will look at this later.

The structure at the end is now gone, was very likely caused by the double mesh and was not noticed to be gone during the testing.

Problem: The central hover thruster is not really useful, this could be removed. Instead, stronger thrusters at the nose would be good. We have to compensate 2.3 MNm torque by the main engine when lifting off from Earth. The two upward RCS thrusters would have to be 86 kN strong for countering this - that is pretty strong for the size.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any idea what sorts of electrical, fuel, thermal, etc systems will be simulated onboard?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe Thermoelectric plates.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Smuggled video, of the first VTOL tests of the Black Dart, only the take-off is shown.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Smuggled video, of the first VTOL tests of the Black Dart, only the take-off is shown.

May I ask what video recorder you are using and at what resolution?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Those APU sound effects are nice. Looks like you found the dust kickup addon. Also, I noticed the way your jets pulsed when you changed vertical speed rates, I'm thinking your using OrbHover MFD, perhaps?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
May I ask what video recorder you are using and at what resolution?

Fraps 720x580 i think.

Those APU sound effects are nice. Looks like you found the dust kickup addon. Also, I noticed the way your jets pulsed when you changed vertical speed rates, I'm thinking your using OrbHover MFD, perhaps?

Absolutly correct Andy. All great addons from computerx.

DanP

Reaction score
That looks great Donamy!

So you went for a front hover engine to balance the main engine instead of the RCS?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes ! Urwumpe said, he needed bigger, so.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes ! Urwumpe said, he needed bigger, so.

Yeah. :cheers:

I could have combined this with the RCS, but the RCS would have been insanely powerful then in space - you could have landed on the moon by RCS only, in fact.

Now, it is a bit more balanced and the RCS reactions can be made a bit more humane.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another benefit with the removal of the hover engine, there is now more room, for other stuff.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you mean stuff™? :)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another benefit with the removal of the hover engine, there is now more room, for other stuff.

Like cupholders. :)

I do believe you could probably land this thing on the moon if you were careful enough. I don't suppose it'd fit in the Vanguard's bay, would it?