Reaction score
Black Dart step and hatch animation:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a tough one for ya Dennis, the main engine rotation.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That hatch opening is just the coolest thing. The tail fin looks like it really needs a Skunk on it, just seems right...

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here's a tough one for ya Dennis, the main engine rotation.

Looks simple enough, could do this as single animation. But I would open the doors below a few moments earlier or faster, so the doors don't interfere with the exhaust.

What about adding a movable engine nozzle extension?

W35M4N

Unregistered Non-User
Reaction score
OMFG VTOL FTW But seriously this is looking really cool, kep up the good work.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very slick design for both hatch and engine rotation and fairing. So you're "F-35-ing" for VTOL ... Question: what about VTOL lift in the front? Some kind of fan, like the F-35?

barcode

Reaction score
I'm loving this so far, it looks almost like some kind of World War III interceptor.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks guys !!

Dennis, I wasn't talking about the animation, I was talking about coding the rotating thrust.;)

Greg, the RCS thrusters, should(in theory), keep the craft stable during VTOL. No air, no fan.;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Dennis, I wasn't talking about the animation, I was talking about coding the rotating thrust.;)

That is no problem, but the torque caused by this would require some very strong downward facing thrusters in the nose, ideally thrusters which are controlled automatically to compensate the rotation torque.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is no problem, but the torque caused by this would require some very strong downward facing thrusters in the nose, ideally thrusters which are controlled automatically to compensate the rotation torque.

It has four of them, and they are pretty far forward, and only need to counteract the torque, not lift the nose.

If you like, I can send you the SC3 version now. Then I will start work on the VC.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It has four of them, and they are pretty far forward, and only need to counteract the torque, not lift the nose.

If you like, I can send you the SC3 version now. Then I will start work on the VC.

Is OK, then I could start a prototype DLL for fine tuning the flight dynamics.

If they can counteract the torque at full thrust, they should also be able to lift the nose anyway, at least when the thrust gets reduced slightly. How much maximum acceleration do you think is good for the main engine, 3.5G?

I have started some basic research last weekend on how the computer displays could look like when applying the CAU concept, but these would look better if we could have more than the 256x256 available in VC MFDs... but I also have a solution developed which could also work for SSU... If ExtMFD can paint MFDs, why shouldn't we be able to do the same inside a VC?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I build 'em, you make 'em fly. ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is OK, then I could start a prototype DLL for fine tuning the flight dynamics.

If they can counteract the torque at full thrust, they should also be able to lift the nose anyway, at least when the thrust gets reduced slightly. How much maximum acceleration do you think is good for the main engine, 3.5G?

Do you think it's necessary for the forward lift thrusters to match the main engine's full thrust? Perhaps you should just limit the thrust level of the main when in hover mode to whatever's necessary for that flight regime. Just thinking.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Awesome work donamy! :beach:

Are you still pondering the method by which the Hyperdart will reach orbit? I think a lifting-body booster of some sort would work well, but it's your project.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Awesome work donamy! :beach:

Are you still pondering the method by which the Hyperdart will reach orbit? I think a lifting-body booster of some sort would work well, but it's your project.

Haven't decided, yet. I'm wondering if we can get by, with maybe some drop tanks and a small booster. Still looking at newer technology, that looks promising.