Interstellar - The Movie

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
V pna nafjre lbhe svefg dhrfgvba: fbyivat gur "tenivgl rdhngvba" fbzrubj yrgf hf unir gur xabjyrqtr bs ubj gb znavchyngr tenivgl, yrggvat rirelbar rfpncr Rnegu.

Frr urer.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bxnl, gung jnf n znwbe oenva sneg ba zl cneg. V sbetbg nobhg gur ovg jurer gur Ynmnehf snpvyvgl jnf ohvyg nf n tvnag fcnpr fgngvba. V thrff jvgu gur tenivgl ceboyrz fbyirq, gurl pbhyq pbafgehpg n znpuvar pncnoyr bs gur fbeg bs zntvp fcnprgvzr/tenivgl qvfgbegvba nyybjf.

Gung'f n cerggl pbby pbaprcg, npghnyyl!

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been wanting to go see the movie badly... Of course I don't want to be the only loser in the theatre by myself so I've been trying to lure some people to go with me... I was planning to see it over the weekend but I had to cancel when I found out an acquaintance of mine was going be celebrating her child's 2nd birthday.:blink:

Pretty good, I think! A lot of flaws, scientific, plot-related and otherwise, but still quite good.

The soundtrack was quite cool.

Is the soundtrack composed of theatricals or does it have some dark underground electronic elements to it.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is the soundtrack composed of theatricals or does it have some dark underground electronic elements to it.

Overpowering wind organ arpeggios with Inception-y theatricals, to describe it reductively. It sounds lame, but the effect was a little awesome.

'Dark underground electronic' wouldn't have really fit at all, IMO.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Nyfb, jul qvq Zhecul yvtug gur pebcf ba sver? V guvax V zvffrq fbzrguvat ng gung cneg, orpnhfr vg frrzf yvxr fur whfg perngrq n pevfvf fvghngvba sbe ab ernfba bgure guna fur'f rzbgvbanyyl hafgnoyr.
Orpnhfr fur arrqrq:
N. Fnir gur puvyqera ol trggvat gurz vagb n zber oerngunoyr (yrff qhfgl) nve.
O. Trg vagb ure ebbz gb svaq gur nafjre gb gur "tubfg" vffhr.

Naq ure oebgure xvpxrq ure bhg uneq jura fur jnf rira fhttrfgvat N.
Gurersber, gur qvfgenpgvba gb trg uvz njnl sebz gur ubhfr.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, my take: really liked the movie overall, a must-see for every Orbinaut/KSPer. It goes far enough into the "fiction" realm of science-fiction that mistakes are less noticeable than, say, Gravity.

That being said, jung ernyyl vexrq zr n yvggyr jnf gur cybg-qevira erragel bs gur Raqhenapr nsgre Znaa'f fuhggyr rkcybqrq, fvapr gurer jnf ab nccnerag nppryrengvba bs gur xvaq arrqrq gb pnhfr vg. Ubjrire, gur ebgngvat qbpxvat frdhrapr jnf fbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb njrfbzr, vg ernyyl oevatf onpx zrzbevrf bs gur qrsnhyg Yhan fgngvba :Q

Zl bayl bgure vffhr jnf gur ntnva nccneragyl cybg-qevira snpg gung nsgre gur jubyr nfprag-naq-Raqhenapr-rkcybqvat beqrny gurl jrer nhgbzntvpnyyl ba n pbhefr gbjneqf gur oynpx ubyr.

Gur cubgbtencul jnf whfg vzcrppnoyr ba gur "fvyragarff" bs fcnpr, gur bppnfvbany EPF ohefgf, gur oynpx ubyr ercerfragngvba, whfg gb anzr n srj guvatf.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Finally got to a showing!

Personally I feel that this was an excellent and important film.

I can see how someone might say it is derivative to 2001:SO or other flicks. However making such a scoffing and dismissive judgement is, in my opinion, missing the entire mark.

I believe this movie is important because it is mainstream, accessible, and self explaining.

The topic of the movie brings obscure theoretical physics into the public eye. The discussion about humanity isn't original, but most people watching this movie will never read Pale Blue Dot or read books about relativity.

When I left the theater, my main thought was "I hope this is the 2001:SO of the younger generation"

Actually I believe it has a better message. I'd like to elaborate on some of this but I have to get ready for wok now :coffee:

Malky

Reaction score
I thought it's lot of like 2001 at the moment I was watching this film, but I don't think it's dissmisive comment. Taking that 2001 is often considered best of genre, for me it's more like honor than diss.
Also feel like this is really important film and 'Space Odyssey of our generation'. Exactly agree with you, that mainstream side of this piece is part of it's awesomess and importance.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Endurance is powered by tokamak fusion generators, according to the interactive website which takes some time to load.

K47qWug.png

But I just realized... where are the radiators?

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just saw it, and it is awesome!

The plot holes aren't that bad, and are pretty necessary for the plot.

From what I hear it's a good movie seriously hampered by explaining itself way too much. As one of my favourite critics put it "...you get the impression that the cast is constantly afraid of Neil DeGras Tyson barking in on them to check their numbers any moment now".

I didn't feel like the movie suffered from this, but maybe that's just that this fourm understands this stuff.

For me, the most representative part of the movie was ˙ǝǝɹɥʇ ʇɔɐ ɟo ʇsǝɹ ǝɥʇ pǝɹoɹɹᴉɯ ʇɐɥʇ ʎɐʍ ɐ uᴉ uoᴉsuǝʇ ǝɥʇ ʇlᴉnq ǝuǝɔs ǝloɥʍ ǝɥʇ puɐ (looɔ sɐʍ sdɯɐlɔ ƃuᴉʞɔop ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ɔuʎs ǝɥʇ ʇɥƃnoɥʇ I) ǝɯosǝʍɐ sɐʍ ǝuǝɔs ǝɥʇ ʇnoɥƃnoɹɥʇ dnplᴉnq ɔᴉsnɯ ǝɥ┴ ˙pǝɹnɔɔo ǝuǝɔs ƃuᴉʞɔop ǝɥʇ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʇɹɐd ǝɥʇ

This movie is easily up there with other greats (Gravity, 2001). The nods to 2001 also were nice.

Unstung

Reaction score
I saw the movie today. I liked it, and that's about all I have to say as a recommendation right now. It's definitely better than Gravity and Europa Report.

Vg vf rnfl gb frr jurer gur zbivr qenjf vafcvengvba sebz 2001. Gur pbybal ng gur raq erzvaqf zr bs Enzn.

Gur whkgncbfvgvba orgjrra na ntenevna fbpvrgl naq fbcuvfgvpngrq fcnpr geniry vf nyfb boivbhf. Gur cebcntnaqn nobhg ANFN naq fcnpr rkcybengvba zvtug jbex, ohg vg'f fgvyy uneq gb uvqr ebpxrg ynhapurf, beovgvat fcnprpensg, naq nyy gur rzcyblrrf. Pbaivapvat crbcyr gb obneq na beovgny pbybal nsgre gurl unir cbffvoyl orra srrq cebcntnaqn nobhg fcnprsyvtug sbe gurve jubyr yvirf znl or n qvssvphyg gnfx. V jbaqre jung gur erfg bs gur jbeyq jnf qbvat ng guvf gvzr, ohg bayl uvagf jrer tvira.

Bar ynfg guvat, Znaa vf n wrex.

Last edited:

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
TARS/CASE paper model. I don't know who made this, I extracted textures from google sketchup 3d model..

rbsvcf5nyxls8xrfg.jpg

w61c54mc66119wzfg.jpg

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Did anyone bother to at least estimate the amount of deltaV they used in the film?
At least approximately, since we don't know the orbits of the planets accurately.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Did anyone bother to at least estimate the amount of deltaV they used in the film?
At least approximately, since we don't know the orbits of the planets accurately.

I haven't seen the movie, but my advice would be "Don't". The result would probably just annoy you, and ruin a good story.

Space enthusiasts aren't the only group that get annoyed when their "area of expertise" is portrayed unrealistically in movies/TV shows. Imagine how for example soldiers, lawyers, doctors or crime scene investigators feel when writers tears up the rulebook to make a plot for some story. A very well known "fact" is that the captain of a ship can marry people. That has never been true and was just invented by screenwriters.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
I haven't seen the movie, but my advice would be "Don't". The result would probably just annoy you, and ruin a good story.
This is some good advice.

Rira gnxvat bayl gur svefg cynarg vagb nppbhag, jura lbh pnyphyngr raretl arrqrq gb trg onpx gb gur zbgurefuvc sebz gur gvzr qvyngvba, lbh trg gung nobhg 99% bs gur ynaqre'f znff jbhyq unir gb or znggre/nagvznggre cebcryynag.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Imagine how for example soldiers, lawyers, doctors or crime scene investigators feel when writers tears up the rulebook to make a plot for some story.

It's even worse for psychiatrists... :rofl:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Saw the movie yesterday. Overall, I was extremely underwhelmed. The graphics/visuals were good, and that's just about where my praise ends.

Other than that I was just really disappointed. They threw in a lot of science "stuff," but got it wrong in a lot of places, which to me is just worse than not even trying at all. I'd rather have something like Avatar that doesn't even really TRY to be science-fact, rather than something that claims to try but fails. Being cavalier with science when you claim to be trying to be factual is fine if your plot justifies it, but there just wasn't enough here to justify things.

The audio levels seemed poorly done in a lot of places, and it was at times difficult to hear the dialogue due to the loud music. I guess it wasn't that big of a deal, since the dialogue was often rather cheesy anyway.

Incomplete list of things that bothered me (decode here):
Ubj rknpgyl qbrf n wrg-cbjrerq qebar fgnl nybsg sbe 10 lrnef be zber? Cebcryyre-qevira pbhyq or ryrpgevp erpunetrq ol fbyne pryyf, ohg wrg ratvarf arrq shry...

Gur ebobgf jrer fvzhygnarbhfyl zl zbfg naq yrnfg snibevgr punenpgref. Rnpu bs gurz unq zber crefbanyvgl guna gur ragver uhzna pnfg pbzovarq, ohg gur qrfvta bs gur ebobgf whfg obgurerq zr. Nf fbzrbar fnvq rneyvre va gur guernq, gurl frrzrq yvxr fbzrguvat bhg bs Zvarpensg.

Jurer rknpgyl jurer gurl ynhapuvat gurfr ebpxrgf sebz gung jnf yrff guna n qnl'f qevir sebz Pbbcre'f snez, naq lrg nccneragyl fb sne sebz pvivyvmngvba gung abobql xarj nobhg vg?

Gur Raqhenapr'f qrfvta ehoorq zr gur jebat jnl. Jul qbrf vg unir na nflzzrgevpny funsg gb gur pragre, vafgrnq bs orvat sebz obgu fvqrf? Jbhyqa'g gung pnhfr haqrfvenoyr gbedhr jura guehfgvat?

Jul qvq gurl obgure gb cebivqr tenivgl sbe gur NFYRRC perj qhevat gur gevc bhg gb Fnghea?

Gur qrcvpgvba bs negvsvpvny tenivgl sebz pragevshtny sbepr jnf onq, obgu vafvqr gur Raqhenapr naq va gur B'Arvyy pbybal ng gur raq. N aba-pheirq fhesnpr jbhyq "srry" pheirq gb crbcyr vafvqr fhpu n pragevshtr--gur creprvirq tenivgl nyjnlf cbvagf qverpgyl njnl sebz gur nkvf bs fcva, ohg jvgu n "syng" sybbe bayl gur "zvqqyr" bs vg jbhyq unir cebcre tenivgl. Gur ulcrefyrrc gnaxf va gur Raqhenapr jrer na rknzcyr bs guvf--gur jngre fhesnpr va gurz fubhyq unir orra "gvygrq" jvgu erfcrpg gb gur sybbe. Na rira zber rtertvbhf rknzcyr jnf gur snezubhfr zhfrhz va gur B'Arvyy pbybal ng gur raq. Jvgu gung gval enqvhf bs fcva, n syng nern gung ynetr jbhyq'ir orra rkgerzryl njxjneq gb jnyx ba.

Vg jnf pevgvpny gb gur cybg (jvgu gur gvzr qvyngvba guvat) gung gur perj pubbfrf gb tb gb gur jngre jbeyq svefg. Ubjrire, gurve qrpvfvba gb qb fb znqr ab frafr ng nyy sbe n srj ernfbaf. Gurl frrz gb pubbfr gb qb fb orpnhfr vg'f "pybfre" naq gur bgure bcgvba vf "n srj zbaguf njnl" ohg snvy gb pbafvqre gung gur jngre jbeyq vf va snpg LRNEF njnl. Ubj ybat gurl unir gb jnvg qbrfa'g znggre ng nyy--jung znggref vf ubj ybat gur crbcyr onpx ba Rnegu unir gb jnvg. Pbbcre qvqa'g jnag gb tb gb gur jngre jbeyq (orpnhfr ur qvqa'g jnag uvf xvqf gb unir gb jnvg ybatre gb frr uvz). Oenaq qvqa'g jnag gb tb gb gur jngre jbeyq (orpnhfr fur jnagrq gb frr vs Rqzbaqf jnf fgvyy nyvir). Fb gurer'f gjb ibgrf sbe abg tbvat gb gur jngre jbeyq...fb jul qvq gurl raq hc gurer? Cerfhznoyl gurl nyfb unq fbzr xvaq bs gryrfpbcr ba obneq, fb gurl pbhyq'ir frra gung gur cynarg jnf ragveryl pbirerq ol jngre naq gurersber hafhvgnoyr orsber gurl rira tbg vagb gur rssrpgf bs gur gvzr qvyngvba.

Vg jbhyq'ir znqr n ybg zber frafr sbe gurz gb tb gb rvgure Znaa'f be Rqzbaqf' jbeyqf svefg, gura gur bgure bs gubfr gjb, naq gura bayl er-ivfvg gur gvzr qvyngvba jbeyq vs gurl arrqrq gb.

Ubj qvq gur jngpu xrrc gvpxvat gur Zbefr pbqr zrffntr nsgre fur erzbirq vg sebz ure orqebbz, tvira gung ure orqebbz jnf gur bayl cynpr gung Pbbcre pbhyq rkreg vasyhrapr ba va gur cnfg?

Basically, Armageddon with updated visuals and even more science mistakes.

Last edited:

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would like someone to confirm that the design of Ranger has analogies with SpaceShipTwo, but-swept wings that fold up to get resistance and braking, as with the balls-pen. addition to position the vehicle during re-entry Is it about something the team and Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites, or just a pretty design?

Unstung

Reaction score
Saw the movie yesterday. Overall, I was extremely underwhelmed. The graphics/visuals were good, and that's just about where my praise ends.

Other than that I was just really disappointed. They threw in a lot of science "stuff," but got it wrong in a lot of places, which to me is just worse than not even trying at all. I'd rather have something like Avatar that doesn't even really TRY to be science-fact, rather than something that claims to try but fails. Being cavalier with science when you claim to be trying to be factual is fine if your plot justifies it, but there just wasn't enough here to justify things.

The audio levels seemed poorly done in a lot of places, and it was at times difficult to hear the dialogue due to the loud music. I guess it wasn't that big of a deal, since the dialogue was often rather cheesy anyway.

Incomplete list of things that bothered me (decode here):

I didn't hold the science in the movie to a high standard which is why I was able to enjoy it. That said, although I like it, Interstellar is certainly not a great movie. Some of the science also bothers me.

V nofbyhgryl nterr gung gur perj pbhyq cresbez erzbgr bofreingvbaf jvgu n gryrfpbcr ba gur jngre jbeyq naq qrgrezvar vg'f n ybfg pnhfr. Jung fpvragvsvp birefvtug ernyyl obguref zr vf gung gurer nccrnef gb or ab fgne va gur flfgrz lrg nyy gur cynargf erprvir fhayvtug. Qrfcvgr gur tenivgl bs gur oynpx ubyr, nyy guerr ner abg gvqnyyl ybpxrq. Fvapr Tnetnaghn nccrnef gb or srrqvat ba tnf, vg fubhyq or cebqhpvat vaperqvoyl qnatrebhf k-enlf.

V erpnyy gung Nzryvn unq fbzr qvnybthr nobhg ure ybir vagrerfg jura qrpvqvat ba juvpu cynarg gb ivfvg arkg. Ure whfgvsvpngvba gb ivfvg Rqzhaqf' cynarg jnf onfrq ba nofheq naq hafpvragvsvp tvoorevfu, rfcrpvnyyl jura vg jnf pynvzrq gung "ybir genafpraqf gvzr naq fcnpr" be fvzvyne abafrafr. Znaa nyfb cernpurf fbzr bs guvf abafrafr jura nggrzcgvat gb xvyy Pbbcre. V pna npprcg gur oynpx ubyr ng gur raq va beqre gb fnir uhznavgl, ohg gur fcrrpurf yrnqvat hc gb vg gung rkcynva gur cbjre bs ybir ner hapnyyrq sbe.

I still wouldn't consider it fair to compare Interstellar to Armageddon; the latter has 168 scientific mistakes.

Last edited: