Project Mars Design Reference Mission 1

markp

Reaction score
I'm working on a cargo configuration approach for adding the airship cargo boxes (pics in Hybrid airship thread) to the cargo lander. It should be quite flexible, although not entirely comprehensive, for adding cargo and enabling the addition of most Orbiter vessels to the cargo lander. The cargo lander will probably need to know the vessels mesh name and offset coordinates for adding the mesh to the cargo lander. Also the vessel cfg name will need to be known to spawn the vessel. This would allow the LER or other rovers to be added to the cargo lander instead of the default rover.

barrygolden

Reaction score
we really need some landing zone detail I have that Valli Dao and thats pretty cool but need more detail

markp

Reaction score
we really need some landing zone detail I have that Valli Dao and thats pretty cool but need more detail

I think it might be quite easy to spawn a few rocks around the predicted landing point. That would then give some sense of any horizontal motion.

On another topic:

I have been testing the landing of the cargo lander with the new method I am using for Orbiter 2016. The MAV and rover vessels are now created and docked to the lander during descent. Previously I created the vessels after landing but I had problems with that and the vessels disappearing.

The docking method I'm using now has to be done above "sea level" or else it doesn't seem to work (the vessels vanish into outer space ... again). Once on the surface the cargo can be undocked and gently rest on the surface.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well Are you docked on the ground in 2010. That doesn't work.

Well there is the LER or the MMSEV both should work in 2010.

markp

Reaction score
Well Are you docked on the ground in 2010. That doesn't work.

No not in Orbiter 2010. I've been experimenting in Orbiter 2016.

Well there is the LER or the MMSEV both should work in 2010.

I've tried the new LER in Orbiter 2016. If I create it with scenario editor it initially spins wildly until I set it down on the ground and then it works fine.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. Not sure I can fix that. The generals vessel do that. I think the 2010 might work in 2016. Not sure about touchdown points. The 2010 moved by thrusters.
But I can try a different version.

Attachments is the way to go.

barrygolden

Reaction score
looking to download this again

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-04-19 at 04:58 PM ----------

I did find some downloads for this but the cargo boxes are not mounted on the lander

markp

Reaction score
looking to download this again

I did find some downloads for this but the cargo boxes are not mounted on the lander

The addon uses UCGO4 for the cargo boxes. Do have that installed? I don't think it works fully in Orbiter 2016. It should work in Orbiter 2010 though.

markp

Reaction score
I think I have that installed and your saying that I need to pick which boxes to take ? 2010 version

I think the included scenarios should have the boxes attached to the cargo lander already. You should be able to chose which boxes and change them around also using UCGO in Orbiter 2010.

markp

Reaction score
DRM 1.4 is what I have and I see no cargo on the lander

I installed Orbiter 2010 and then installed UCGO 3.0 from Dan's Orbiter Page. I couldn't find any UCGO 4.0 as I stated earlier ...

Then I installed DRM1 v1.4 and ran the scenario '080527 0452 At an altitude of 15 km'. Once the lander was released from the aeroshell I could see the cargo boxes.

Any help?

barrygolden

Reaction score
Ok tried that and the boxes were there. thanks a bunch. you should check with gattis about some updated to this . Might make this better and really need to upgrade the LZ terrain

markp

Reaction score
A little more progress updating the addon for Orbiter 2016.

I've implemented a simple cargo management system for the addon while we wait for UCGO to be updated.

The relevant meshes are hidden/revealed depending on the cargo's packed status by pressing a key. So when packed only the mesh for the box is shown and when unpacked this mesh is hidden and the cargo meshes are revealed. Pressing the key will also move the touchdown points to the appropriate positions. The cargo can be moved around on the surface using scenario editor. The cargo is attached to the lander using attachments.

greenhouse_cargo.jpg

barrygolden

Reaction score
You might look to up date this with a new CM on the cargo/crew lander like the Orion. Place the SEV rover on this as well and maybe a new hab lander like the one used on the MAV addon. You should look at new EVA suits along the lines of the" Martian"