OHM Orbiter Base Maker V2.0.3

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: csanders

Please don't edit someone else's base and post it to the hangar without permission. Thank you!

Version 2.0.0 (and later) won't read base files from earlier versions of OBM (versions 1.X.X). If you are using an older version of OBM, install your bases into Orbiter (before installing OBM 2.0), and then import them into version 2.0

NEW! Ability to select multiple objects and move them/rotate them together.

To select more than one object, you can either:
1) use the "select" cursor (button labeled "Select" in screenshot)
2) click on a object while holding the "ctrl" key down 

Some more shortcuts:
ctrl-c: copy selected
ctrl-v: paste
ctrl-a: select all
ctrl-z: undo
ctrl-y: redo
up-down-left-right: moves selected objects

FYI: copy/pasting works between bases. For instance, you can open Olympus and copy it to the clipboard, then open Brighton Beach and paste it in.

More Notes on 2.0
OBM will remember some object-editor settings between sessions. Such as grid size, snap to, rotate by, show parameters and if you used a maximized window.

There's a "scale textures with buildings" option for some objects. This will set the u/v scale parameters of an object's texture based on the objects width and height. 

You can add a Nav Beacon to a base, or edit the first nav beacon if the base already has one. This is done with the "Edit Nav Beacons" button in the base edit window. A new window will pop up that will allow you to edit the Nav Beacon ID and its frequency. If there were no beacons in the base to begin with, the position is automatically set to the base location.

Program notes:
-will probably explode if you add a base at the -180 +180 Longitude area (I'm not responsible for lost of stolen items if this happens)
-watch for "fail messages" and report any here

Please post any suggestions about improvements or things that seem confusing. I want this to be easy to use software.

DOWNLOAD

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Developer here, some further notes:

In the "Add/Remove/Edit Objects" window:
You can hit the "delete" key to delete highlighted objects
You can hit the "z" key to zoom to the highlighted object

When it adds bases, it assumes an orbiter configuration where bases are stored in a "..Orbiter 2010\Config\Earth\Base\" directory. I'm not sure if early versions of Orbiter 2010 had this structure. So if it has problems saying it can't detect that Orbiter is installed where you say it is, this is probably the reason why. I believe you can fix that by making those directories, and adding the following to the "Earth.cfg" file (file is in the "Orbiter 2010\Config\" directory). PS -make sure "BEGIN_SURFBASE" doesn't already exist in that file first:
Code:
BEGIN_SURFBASE
DIR Earth\Base
END_SURFBASE

In the "Make New Base" window, if you manually type in the lon/lat values, and you clear the text out of the window, a "Enter a number" message window pops up. Kind of annoying, but it will be fixed when I release an update.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very nice! Works very well here! Only thing missing is the ability to pan around in the Tile Editor.

Edit:
Forgot to add that it seems to have problems loading existing bases, even though the Orbiter path has been correctly specified in Configuration.

Last edited:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Edit:
Forgot to add that it seems to have problems loading existing bases, even though the Orbiter path has been correctly specified in Configuration.

I guess I made that part a little confusing.

It won't "load" existing bases, it will just make new ones. I didn't want to mess with changing existing bases because I didn't want to over-write original Orbiter files. This is why "Canaveral" and "Habana" can't be used as new base names, and why one can't select Canaveral's tiles in the tile editor. I didn't "protect" the other original base names though, because they are mostly empty bases. Only Habana and Canaveral have runways IIRC.

I also haven't created a ".cfg" reader yet, so it can't load bases. It's in my "todo" list though.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would encourage you to allow modifications to all existing bases and to implement loading of existing bases. Some people will want to upgrade the default bases or only look at them to see how they're done.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent surprise :thumbup:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:hello:
attachment.php
does not see the map ?:shrug:

Probably Firewall issue. Check your firewall and make sure that program has permission to use internet connection.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or Google doesn't like it :lol:.

The tool looks very good. Adding transparency to every tile and getting the numbers right was alway a pain to me...

Oh, BTW, :welcome: to the forum. I think I've seen you're name on DanSteph's forum a few times?

sitha241

Reaction score
Super!

Tnx great work :D but I wanted to ask something-if I would do hi res tiles of my country can I post them here on orbiter hangar, and how to do that? :D

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

I have same problem with map not showing-how to disable a firewall?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
:hello:
attachment.php
does not see the map ?:shrug:

Noticed that when trying to re-download tiles for the same area. It is expected. Google doesn't allow you to mass download their tiles.
The software should only come with something like OpenStreetMap configured.

Let's hope it doesn't end up exposing OH to unwanted attention. This will lead to a flood of Google Maps riped surface tiles.. that of course should not be distributed by OH.

sitha241

Reaction score
And how to solve this problem? Just wait some time and try again or what?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
What I know is that this sort of tile ripping was tried by the Flight Sim people. It resulted in several IPs being banned from acessing the map servers. And the programmer receiving a nice letter from the corporate layers. Now the same software runs from other image servers ;-) .

So yes, there's a time limit between sucessive map tile requests.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I know is that this sort of tile ripping was tried by the Flight Sim people. It resulted in several IPs being banned from acessing the map servers. And the programmer receiving a nice letter from the corporate layers. Now the same software runs from other image servers ;-) .

So yes, there's a time limit between sucessive map tile requests.

Yikes! I have to fast-track an open-source satellite image source.

For now, I'm just added a 2 second throttle on map downloads, so it will be a little sluggish. Also, it now caches every map it downloads.

I also restricted the "add/remove tile" window so users can't select nearly as many tiles. This may also have an added benefit of stopping users from accidentally overloading Orbiter with too many tiles. I'm not really sure how much it can handle.

Hopefully these things will prevent "overloading" their servers until I can change the map source

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Good luck, I sadly never found a good open-source source...

One thing I just noticed: something seems to be wrong with the runway headings. I wanted it to have a heading of 110°, but it ended up beeing at 70° in Orbiter (as you can see, both values are 20° away from 90°)

EDIT: Setting it to 70° in the editor worked. The runway now has a heading of 110° in Orbiter.

Last edited:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good luck, I sadly never found a good open-source source...

One thing I just noticed: something seems to be wrong with the runway headings. I wanted it to have a heading of 110°, but it ended up beeing at 70° in Orbiter (as you can see, both values are 20° away from 90°)

EDIT: Setting it to 70° in the editor worked. The runway now has a heading of 110° in Orbiter.

Good catch! I fixed it in the new update, but unfortunately I had to temporarily remove the ability to download tiles due to licensing issues. If you have already downloaded tiles, they should be cached and you will be able to add or remove them to your base at your leisure.

FYI, this issue was the result of the fact that trig functions use a counter-clockwise coordinate system for angles, and geographic angles use a clockwise coordinate system.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Edit: Nevermind, I understand. Hope the texturing issue can get resolved!

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Any chance of a non-MSI version? I'm getting kinda bored of Windows taking 20 minutes to install a 10 MB program...

Nice idea though! I'd love to get it going! :thumbup:

EDIT: She finally finished installing... Awesome! I love the ability to click and drag any object! Thank you very much! A worthy successor to SurfaceBaseWizard!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:hesaid: I downloaded tiles for Peenemünde (as many as possible at least) and it looks amazing. They fit perfectly to the Earth texture. Runway placement just took a few clicks!

I know, Google propably pays a lot of money for that images, but it's sad that the imagery isn't puplic-domain for educational things like Orbiter.