Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I turn the key, the electrical power comes on, you can hear the relays switching, but I don't hear the clunk of the starter motor. When the engine does turn over, it turns over quickly, not slow as when the battery is dying.

I need to get it checked out, but the problem is too intermittent right now. It's the kind of problem a repair shop will charge you lots of money to fix without ever really finding the root cause. In other words, the kind of weird problems I have had on every vehicle I've ever owned.

My old VW Sirocco used to have weird electrical problems, but that car was simple enough that I could take a multimeter and track down problems and fix them myself. These newer vehicles are not so user friendly.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter relay, or the sticky brushes scenario I mentioned earlier. Starter motors are chunky devices, take a lot of current, and make a lot of (Carbon) dust internally.
Starter motor brushes had a lot of copper in them, and that makes them stick in their holder.
Cheaper of the two is the relay, just because its clicking, doesn't mean the contacts are making well.
Quick test is a spanner across the two large terminals.
Danger will Robinson. this will crank the engine if the starter is good, and the spanner will get hot. Lots of sparks.
I did it once, but I was 18 and didn't know any better.
Save your health insurance and wait till it dies completely...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apparently I managed to write a piece of code that crashes exactly two out of three times. Yay me! :rolleyes:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Apparently I managed to write a piece of code that crashes exactly two out of three times. Yay me! :rolleyes:

Initializing a hardware register with the contents of a clock register?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

I'm getting in my final class project assignments, done in Matlab. I think some of them think that their shoe size is an important parameter to getting this code to work. :huh: "Unexpected behavior" doesn't quite describe what I am seeing.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Urwumpe's epic post count recently overflowed the maximum value that can fit inside a signed, 16-bit integer value. The staff spent most of last weekend upgrading the forum software to use unsigned 16-bit integers for post count fields in order to support up to 65,535 posts per user*. Although we were able to complete the upgrade in time, we very nearly had to start auto-hard-deleting any posts that would overflow the 32,767 post threshold*.

* Not really.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The staff spent most of last weekend upgrading the forum software to use unsigned 16-bit integers

Which immediately makes me wonder: Just what kind of Database would this thing have to be running on to even make that feasible? :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Which immediately makes me wonder: Just what kind of Database would this thing have to be running on to even make that feasible? :lol:

/me imagines the forum running on some BBS package from before the dawn of time, running on top of Netware 2.x, with an IP-to-IPX gateway and 20 other compatibility shims somewhere in the mix to make it accessible over http on the Internet.

/me goes mad from imagining such a monstrosity.

/me walks out to the chatbox and hooks up hoses to the pentaborane and ClF3 flood valves.

/me screams "Kill it with fire! Kill it with fire!" and turns on the hoses.

FOOM!!!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Urwumpe's epic post count recently overflowed the maximum value that can fit inside a signed, 16-bit integer value. The staff spent most of last weekend upgrading the forum software to use unsigned 16-bit integers for post count fields in order to support up to 65,535 posts per user*. Although we were able to complete the upgrade in time, we very nearly had to start auto-hard-deleting any posts that would overflow the 32,767 post threshold*.

* Not really. :p

I wanted to be the first with -32768 posts. :(

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you spam the forums really hard, you might be first to -2147483648, or even -18446744073709551616.

I doubt i could get that far in a lifetime with my roundtrip times. :lol: I would need to insert some SQL there... like "BEGIN; UPDATE orbiterforum.users u SET u.postcount=-18446744073709551616 WHERE u.username='Urwumpe'; COMMIT;";

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIB232E/fd1fd63

I would say, its Christmas now. ;)

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Why????

Who would pay for such an obscure thing such as this flight???

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It's not unprecedented:
787-flight-path.jpg

5f7bbbdc-5185-4a39-8efc-4031849f4e1a-large16x9_787.JPG

If one has to do a long-range test flight, might as well make it a bit silly! :)

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
:lol: Wow!! I had no idea this was a thing. Well, I guess you can also quickly and easily gauge the accuracy of the navigation! bonus!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ya know. Those Navy guys might have gone overboard with their fun. And the punishment was equally silly. But they are never going to buy their own booze in the O-club. Ever.