Humor Random Comments Thread

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
They were grounded, doing some desk duty and some crappy hanger inspections like broom closet inventory, smoking area clean-up or something equally silly and pointless. The only west coast airedale I know is with a VQ squadron at Lemoore, I'll see if I can get some straight dope on what he pilots had to do for punishment. They should be back in the air by now. Flight profficiency (and pay) is based on a required number of hours in the air per month (traps and cat-shots from a nearby carrier too if one's available). Doesn't matter how annoyed someone is with a flight crew, benching them for too long costs too much money to make up the training time.

Honestly though, I can predict the squadron CO probably looked at both of them, facepalmed and said something along the lines of "If I ain't already got enough crap to deal with..." (edited for content)

Looked like an Arby's hat to me.... :shrug:

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
They were grounded, doing some desk duty and some crappy hanger inspections like broom closet inventory, smoking area clean-up or something equally silly and pointless. The only west coast airedale I know is with a VQ squadron at Lemoore, I'll see if I can get some straight dope on what he pilots had to do for punishment. They should be back in the air by now. Flight profficiency (and pay) is based on a required number of hours in the air per month (traps and cat-shots from a nearby carrier too if one's available). Doesn't matter how annoyed someone is with a flight crew, benching them for too long costs too much money to make up the training time.

Honestly though, I can predict the squadron CO probably looked at both of them, facepalmed and said something along the lines of "If I ain't already got enough crap to deal with..." (edited for content)

Looked like an Arby's hat to me.... :shrug:

It was a Growler crew out of Whidbey, right? I'm local(ish) to the area now... I'll put my ear to the ground here too and see what I can shake loose.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Bought a modem and router (sold together) from Amazon so I could stop renting from my ISP.
I made sure to buy CAT6 cables at the same time since one review mentioned that the included cable would be CAT5 10/100Mbps and I have 150Mbps Internet (and maybe higher in the future).
Connected the modem to my PC to get it setup. Shows as 1.0Gbps. Great!
Connect modem to router and then router to PC. Shows as 100.0Mbps. What??
I did not notice that, despite the router being AC dual band i.e. theoretically capable of over 800Mbps wireless, the WAN and LAN ports are all 10/100Mbps! UGH!

Pro tip: "Fast Ethernet" refers to 100Mbps. It's not just a marketing phrase.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Derp :|

How much does it cost to rent the modem / router from your ISP? The equipment is included in the price in Slovenia and to my knowledge, you can't even replace the modem with your own. I also cannot imagine it being financially viable to actually buy your own modem and have it pay off...

Also, the modems on loan to us act as routers, including wifi. It's been like that for ~10 years...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The equipment is included in the price in Slovenia and to my knowledge, you can't even replace the modem with your own.

This practice was banned by law in Germany last year. You can choose any hardware you want, because in Germany, Routers have to be certified to be compatible to the phone lines anyway. Also only a few weeks after this practice was banned, the first suspected DDOS using standard modem/routers took place, as feared assisted by the monoculture.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Derp :|

How much does it cost to rent the modem / router from your ISP? The equipment is included in the price in Slovenia and to my knowledge, you can't even replace the modem with your own. I also cannot imagine it being financially viable to actually buy your own modem and have it pay off...

Also, the modems on loan to us act as routers, including wifi. It's been like that for ~10 years...

The rental is $10/mo, which is pretty standard. If you can get a modem and router (or two-in-one) for just over $100, then you break even after a year. Plus, you then have exactly the hardware you want and you can be sure that certain features/settings won't be locked down or tampered with.
ISPs, for whatever reason, typically have a list of compatible modems that you can replace theirs with. And yes, the one I was renting is both a modem and a router in the same device.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
renting from my ISP
Renting a router from ISP?
WTF?

you can't even replace the modem with your own
Needing a modem for non-dialup internet?
Modem costing more than a bit of spare change?
WTF?

Routers have to be certified to be compatible to the phone lines anyway
What do routers have to do with phone lines? You mean modems?

Also, certified to be compatible?
WTF?

The rental is $10/mo, which is pretty standard.
Standard?!
That's the monthly price of 100Mbps symmetric unlimited internet on it's own, over a regular ethernet cable!
Or 10Mbps unlimited mobile data!
WTF?

...i'm afraid to ask how much does the actual internet costs if that's the "rental" price of the hardware...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What do routers have to do with phone lines? You mean modems?

They are one hardware unit usually here. AVM Fritzbox for example. Despite performing multiple tasks on multiple layers of the OSI model, the German language term for them is "Router", and the German term for providers prescribing their custom hardware is called "Routerzwang".

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

That's the monthly price of 100Mbps symmetric unlimited internet on it's own, over a regular ethernet cable!
WTF?

And yes. That's pretty expensive. Even for German standards, where you pay already about 40€/mo for an asymmetric 100 Mbps connection.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Standard?!
WTF?

...i'm afraid to ask how much does the actual internet costs if that's the "rental" price of the hardware...

For Internet alone, without having cable TV bundled in, my ISP charges something like $95/mo for 100Mbps down, not including the equipment rental.
Small ISPs don't have the capital to build new copper or fiber lines, so there is usually only either 1 or 2 choices for broadband ISP and they all have very similar pricing and policies.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Needing a modem for non-dialup internet?
Modem costing more than a bit of spare change?
WTF?

Unfortunately there's no fiberoptic cable where I live :(
We have an ADSL line, with a 40 / 5 Mbps speed, fastest offered over ADSL.

The "modem" is the device that hooks into the phone line or the fiberoptic line. The name just stuck from the dial-up days.

Standard?!
WTF?

Yea, US has TERRIBLE internet, both in service and in price. US companies agree to divide the US up into regional monopolies, so they don't compete and it allows them to keep the prices high. Offering service to half the country at high prices is better for profit than offering service at competitive prices across the entire country. Capitalism in action!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Just had seen it on my smartphone. The scene looks really terrible. :(

I hope it just looks worse than it is, not many news about it here so far.

Well, it's probably the worst train wreck I've seen on the news (as opposed to in the history books), as far as disruption of the train and surrounding environment goes (i.e, the highway incursion).

As far as actual human cost, six fatalities and 77 injuries (in other words, all the survivors) have been reported on the train, with no word on the number of highway casualties, despite several vehicles on the highway having been struck.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

OK, so CNN says five cars and two semis hit on the highway, but no fatalities in those vehicles.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not counting terrorists, the worst accident along my commute route was the derailment a few years ago - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Moscow_Metro_derailment

24 dead, hundreds injured, all because a construction worker "secured" a newly installed switch with a bit of wire instead of a proper restraint.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Commanding locomotive was pretty much brand spanking new. The locomotive was built in Siemens' Sacramento, CA facility within the last year, and the type has been in revenue service for only about 4 months. It's heavily computerized, so that's going to provide an immense amount of data for the investigation.