Humor Random Comments Thread

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same in Poland. Good I have day off tomorrow.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed, though I did enjoy watching our analogue clocks race forward when I was on night-shift.

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Fortunately, our recent temp president was looking for ways to do something that would make people remember him. Even more fortunately, he picked useful things rather than horrifying things.

And this is how DST was ended in Russia. No clock movements today. :)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We already did our DST shift a couple weeks ago.

---------- Post added at 05:56 ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 ----------

From Wikipedia:

"Silane is an inorganic compound with chemical formula, SiH4, making it a group 14 hydride. It is a colourless, pyrophoric gas with a sharp, repulsive smell, somewhat similar to that of acetic acid."

That second sentence implies a very interesting story involving asphyxiation, third degree burns, or both, and, presumably, a chemist whose cojones comfortably outmassed his brain.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That second sentence implies a very interesting story involving asphyxiation, third degree burns, or both, and, presumably, a chemist whose cojones comfortably outmassed his brain.

There are videos of people playing with hypergolic reactions in test tubes that are crazy to my eyes. I'm not a chemist, but I was told that stuff will burn your lungs and to stay away from it.

It's not like I've never done stupid dangerous things in my life; anyone who hasn't, hasn't really lived IMO, but messing with poison gas is on the other side of my particular line.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, i'd expect chemists to know what they are doing, and so being more tolerant to corrosive gasses. You also don't really need to sniff it hard to determine the odour, a safe-ish trace amount can be more than enough.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It's not that Silane is poisonous or corrosive, it's that it's pyrophoric.

When a chemical ignites spontaneously at room temperature in breathable air, how on Earth do you find out what it smells like?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Stoichiometric ratio to the rescue, perhaps? It igniting spontaneously shouldn't negate the need to have a certain concentration of it to make the bulk reaction possible.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Clocks are going forward here, anyone else?

N.

Travelled back from a business trip to Baden-Würtemberg today, was a pretty long trip, which almost started late because of this....

Now back home after about 6.5 hours of travel. And 12 hours without something to eat. :facepalm:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Usually I would never give a "thumbs up" to any flat-earther, but I must admit: He's got balls!:salute:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just read on Twitter, that John Fisher, british crew member of the Volvo Ocean Race sailing yacht of Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag went overboard near Point Nemo, 1400 SM west of Cape Horn.

There are 35 knot winds and the other yachts are further west, which means its impossible to divert any other VOR yacht to rescue him. A ship 400 SM away from the scene has been diverted, but giving the physics, it will take it about 15-20 hours to reach the sailor.

:(

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Usually I would never give a "thumbs up" to any flat-earther, but I must admit: He's got balls!:salute:

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between courage and stupidity.

In this case, I'm not finding it so hard.

Had he built his vehicle just to fly for thrills, like other dangerous sports, he'd be a little less dumb in my mind. Especially since, given his stated goal of flying high enough to see the Frisbee-shaped Earth, he could just go to the nearest airport and pay somebody to take him far higher for far longer with a far bigger safety margin using a plane old airplane.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Had he built his vehicle just to fly for thrills, like other dangerous sports, he'd be a little less dumb in my mind.

I wouldn't say so. That's some genuine scientific curiosity he's displaying there, which is good.
The thing I don't get is how he is smart enough to build a rocket that actually works without killing him instantly, but still can't get his head around all the evidence that the earth is indeed not flat.

steph

Reaction score
I wonder if the nozzle was actually designed, or just there for looks. Anyway, at slightly over 1000 feet max elevation, it's more like he built an aerodynamic manned steam boiler with a release valve :rofl:
Perhaps the low apogee was intended...at that altitude, it sure looks flat.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Perhaps the low apogee was intended...at that altitude, it sure looks flat.

Well, to his defense, he aims higher - he wants to launch a larger rocket from a balloon to see Earth from above. And that without somebody else being responsible for that view.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If a german was as inflexible as this guy they'd never find employment anywhere outside germany :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If a german was as inflexible as this guy they'd never find employment anywhere outside germany :lol:

I doubt you would even find employment inside Germany that way... we are horrible in our manners, but not evil. :lol:

But yes, being a flexible German is something odd, but it happens. :cool:

(And a pretty harsh atmosphere between coworkers is not unusual. But a bad sign.)