steph

Reaction score
Oh well....I guess this had to happen someday

[ame="http://youtu.be/QGYn2Y_t5-Q"]LICKING A SPACE ROCKET!!! - YouTube[/ame]

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't say so. That's some genuine scientific curiosity he's displaying there, which is good.
The thing I don't get is how he is smart enough to build a rocket that actually works without killing him instantly, but still can't get his head around all the evidence that the earth is indeed not flat.

Last year when this guy was leading his funding campaign some folks found evidence that he "became" a flat-earther to finish his project. The story was that he was a daredevil and always wanted to do this as a stunt but no one was interested in funding it as a daredevil project. Probably working from the saying that "a fool and his money are soon parted," he decided to advertise his funding campaign as "flat-earth research" instead of a daredevil project. Is it true? maybe! Considering he could just drive up a medium hill and get the same view...

alberts56

Reaction score
The story was that he was a daredevil and always wanted to do this as a stunt but no one was interested in funding it as a daredevil project..

Who would in his/her right mind? Some daredevil, maybe more correctly so most daredevil stuff has only one outcome.

steph

Reaction score
I'd be dumbfounded to find that there are enough true flat-earthers out there to properly fund his (mis)adventure. Still, there are cheaper ways. Weather balloon with a camera attached comes to mind. In my storm-chasing group, we actually plan this for the summer (seeing CBs towering from the upper atmosphere seems too cool to miss) Depending on how many gizmos we want on it and how many corners we are willing to cut, we calculated it would be around 200 bucks, maybe even cheaper. Sure, all the high-altitude flights may be a "NASA conspiracy" and the amateurs may use fisheye lens for greater effect, but it doesn't apply if he's the one mounting the camera.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd be dumbfounded to find that there are enough true flat-earthers out there to properly fund his (mis)adventure. Still, there are cheaper ways. Weather balloon with a camera attached comes to mind. In my storm-chasing group, we actually plan this for the summer (seeing CBs towering from the upper atmosphere seems too cool to miss) Depending on how many gizmos we want on it and how many corners we are willing to cut, we calculated it would be around 200 bucks, maybe even cheaper. Sure, all the high-altitude flights may be a "NASA conspiracy" and the amateurs may use fisheye lens for greater effect, but it doesn't apply if he's the one mounting the camera.

Yep. Or, like I said, he could just pay somebody to take him up in an airplane.

steph

Reaction score
Apparently the two nuclear reactors at the only romanian nuclear powerplant have had seven (yep,seven) unplanned shutdowns since January 2017 until now. This only got out after a bigger incident on friday morning, which sent one of them into scram and left the other one operating at 55% . Just secondary loop issues, they say. Still...seven shutdowns? What the hell? They're not even that old (1996 and 2007)

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Since everybody calls them sausage dogs, and hardly anybody knows what a badger is anymore, shouldn't the name of the breed be changed to Wursthund?

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always called them wiener dogs.

iu

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
But, aren't wiener and dogs(short for hot-dogs) the same thing? Circular reference?

My knowledge of American food cultural references isn't good...

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On a completely different topic...

Lacking any context, what does this scene look like to you, and what do each of the devices appear to be thinking/expressing?

ieGetXh.jpg

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
On a completely different topic...

Lacking any context, what does this scene look like to you, and what do each of the devices appear to be thinking/expressing?

ieGetXh.jpg

The one on the lower right is doing some sort of risky experiment on himself, and showing his enthusiasm, while his friend on the upper left is concerned and thinks his friend is about to do something stupid.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score