Humor Random Comments Thread

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I appreciate that they put this on the official United Launch Alliance YouTube channel.

ULA systems engineer Patrick Moore recently joined the Kerbal Space Academy to talk about the Parker Solar Probe mission and Delta IV Heavy rocket.
Patrick provided realistic flight commentary as KSA instructor DasValdez launched his own “Deltish IV” rocket carrying a “Parker Sorta Probe”, built using stock parts in Kerbal Space Program.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45282805

Russian company Kalashnikov have released a robot - and it's not quite what anyone expected.
'Igorek' ('little Igor', not its official name) was revealed to the public on Monday in Moscow by the company behind the famous AK-47 gun which has sold more than 100 million units worldwide.
The 13-feet (3.96m) tall, 4.5-tonne, manned robot is designed for "carrying out engineering and combat tasks", according to Kalashnikov, at the ARMY Forum.
The Forum describes itself as the "world's leading exhibition of arms and military equipment, the authoritative platform for discussing innovative ideas and developments for the armed forces".

Wonder what they use for a power-unit?
seems it hasen't got one, wonder why they bothered?

N.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Nothing. It's a mock-up, or even a statue. Besides, it'll enter serial production sometime after the Su-57... I.E. never.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Most peculiar.
Its not as if Kalashnikov has a problem with brand recognition...
N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Amazing!
Has Kalashnikov lost the plot, or is it a cunning plot...

N.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I hit a little snag with my VS2015 installation: I ran the VS installer to add a plugin. The installer told me that there is an important update I should install. So I hit the OK button and was promptly presented with a BSOD. After restarting, I can't run VS because it tells me that the installer is currently running. I can't run the installer because it tells me that it's blocked while another installer is running. The Programs list shows now two entries "Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 1" (which was the previously installed version) and "Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Updates" (which presumably would have been the updated version). I can't uninstall either of them.

Any clue what kind of lock VS is using to detect a running installer (file, registry entry, etc.)? Any other ideas? I'm going on holiday tomorrow, and if I can't get VS working on my laptop, there won't be any new beta commits for a bit ...

Edit: update from the compiler drama: I finally managed to coax the uninstaller for at least one of the phantom installations to run. The good news: no further BSODs (so far). The bad news is that judging from the progress bar, the the uninstall won't be finished before I am back from holidays :facepalm:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I hit a little snag with my VS2015 installation: I ran the VS installer to add a plugin. The installer told me that there is an important update I should install. So I hit the OK button and was promptly presented with a BSOD. After restarting, I can't run VS because it tells me that the installer is currently running. I can't run the installer because it tells me that it's blocked while another installer is running. The Programs list shows now two entries "Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 1" (which was the previously installed version) and "Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Updates" (which presumably would have been the updated version). I can't uninstall either of them.

Any clue what kind of lock VS is using to detect a running installer (file, registry entry, etc.)? Any other ideas? I'm going on holiday tomorrow, and if I can't get VS working on my laptop, there won't be any new beta commits for a bit ...

Edit: update from the compiler drama: I finally managed to coax the uninstaller for at least one of the phantom installations to run. The good news: no further BSODs (so far). The bad news is that judging from the progress bar, the the uninstall won't be finished before I am back from holidays :facepalm:

If you restart you computer and the installer starts running, you can prevent that from happening if you go to msconfig and disable the installer entry there. Or you can kill the process manually...
To uninstall them... it probably uses the installer.... :facepalm: so if you run an installer it (hopefully) should give you the option to uninstall.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Translated from a portuguese article about Katherine Johnson:
... helped place Apollo 11 in orbit, that took John Glen to the Moon on July 20, 1960.

No, there are no errors in the translation or typos on my part... it is really that bad. :facepalm: :facepalm:

EDIT: oh, there's more :uhh:
In 1962, she was in the preparation of Atlas6, that helped place an astronaut in orbit around the Earth, the same John Glenn that later went to the Moon.

8WsTL2t.jpg

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you invite teams from the rest of the world, surely the odds are against you?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/45260134

Mind you, I don't understand sports rules...

N.

I just love it hwo brits write about cricket without ever a single mention what they're writing about. Coming into that article as a continental, the whole article seems like a jumble of nonsensical sports-like banter without cohesion or context. You know, a bit like lit-crit :lol:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you invite teams from the rest of the world, surely the odds are against you?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/45260134

Mind you, I don't understand sports rules...

N.

Didn't invite the Australians, that is how England have always won.

Any time a league player here goes to England, they are always mocked.

That said the Burgess brothers have reinvigorated South Sydney (Russel Crowe's team)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I just love it hwo brits write about cricket without ever a single mention what they're writing about. Coming into that article as a continental, the whole article seems like a jumble of nonsensical sports-like banter without cohesion or context. You know, a bit like lit-crit :lol:
Cricket is simple:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!​

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, so... that article was about rugby, not cricket. My bad. :embarrassed: Could have read the page slug, I guess. I automatically assumed they were talking about cricket because it's an unnamed english sport and I don't understand a word of what they're talking about :rofl: Just goes to show, I guess...

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Well-written functional code is transcendant. A thing of beauty, a poetry of logic, capable of pulling your mind through it in a stream of conciousness, revealing everything in one blissful moment of complete understanding.
As with all things transcendant, though, this only happens in those special moments in which you are in tune with the universe. Most of the time, you're looking at it in confusion, wondering about the purpose of its existance... :dry:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ok, so... that article was about rugby, not cricket. My bad. :embarrassed: Could have read the page slug, I guess. I automatically assumed they were talking about cricket because it's an unnamed english sport and I don't understand a word of what they're talking about :rofl: Just goes to show, I guess...

Well Rugby League which has the nickname league (or footy in Australia (ok,ok NSW and QLD)). Rugby is the nickname for Rugby Union which has more prestige (but a smaller following in Aus and doesn't share the nickname of footy).

However both are sports the Brits invented and their colonies have beaten the brits in (Aus for League, NZ for Union).

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
They don't beat England, wej just don't let them lose.
Plain good manners.

N.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's not over until somebody wins!!!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like Oracle just killed Java for the open-source world. I doubt all projects can afford conforming to Oracles non-commercial support roadmap.