Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A local catholic church in Switzerland is suing a farmer over 70 bucks, because he has the misfortune of owning a piece of land who's holder has been condemned to bear the yearly costs of the oil used for a ceremonial lamp for all eternity because of murder, back in 1357. Now that the new owner won't pay they are dragging him to court, although the bishop has graciously offered to pay the tithe himself to preserve some dignity of the church.

The name of the church is, very fittingly, "Saint Hilarius"

I'm not making this up!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thats still harmless compared to having the active sonar ping right before the "torpedo in the water" warning. :lol: "

Torpedo in the water only means, you have heard one of them somewhere, but the seeker is not yet active and not pointed at you.

If you hear the active sonar of the torpedo as first sign, a damned Helix dropped one right near you and you have seconds left to make sure you are either too far away for it to find you or too fast to follow you.

Is there anything you dont know? :lol: Seriously, just once I want to try to find a question you cant answer. If you had to describe your weakest area of knowledge what would it be?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there anything you dont know? :lol: Seriously, just once I want to try to find a question you cant answer. If you had to describe your weakest area of knowledge what would it be?

Clearly "Women". But I try to improve.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, only that which is not knowable :lol:. How do you know about torpedoes?

How not learn some bits about them from time to time, especially if you like playing submarine sims? I have no book about them in my library, in case you ask. But some articles about torpedoes appear in my favorite magazine.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But "688i Hunter/Killer" should work, I remember playing it on my XP SP3 before buying Dangerous Waters.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
by the way, my minecraft-server will be online again, prbably most of the time for the net two weeks (holidays) and than about a few hours a day:

hamachi network (for those not already connected to me via hamachi): name: networkhal password: 123

IP: 25.32.126.217

Version: 1.4.5

I'm looking forward to see some of you,

greetings, HAL9001

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The Hobbit.
When i went to the movie, i wondered how did they managed to stretch it to 3 hours.
Suddenly, it's only part 1. Out of 3.

They are making three movies out of The Hobbit.
They are making three movies out of The Hobbit!

And who thought of such a sacrilege as running an IMAX movie at jerky 24 FPS?
So, i didn't enjoy watching that movie.

I did, however, enjoy the movie.
At least they are staying essentially true to the book and not skipping anything.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I saw it in 3D, I thought it was pretty OK. Although I balked at the meeting with Galadriel/Elrond/Gandalf. Radagast was a downer also, maybe he was there for comic relief?

I would have totally loved it had I not read the book (multiple times), and not 30 some years ago.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw it in 3D, I thought it was pretty OK. Although I balked at the meeting with Galadriel/Elrond/Gandalf. Radagast was a downer also, maybe he was there for comic relief?

I would have totally loved it had I not read the book (multiple times), and not 30 some years ago.

I thought some of those parts were a little hacky too, but overall I thought it was quite good. The scenes with Gollum were really well done IMO, and now my little sister understands why I bother her with my "Preciousssss" impersonations :lol:. I thought it was pretty good to be honest.

Speaking of the 3d, I thought this was one of the first films with it that seemed to use it properly, more for depth of shot & direction of camera (ie falling) than just hurling objects at the camera to spook the audience. Just me I guess...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, Jackson kind of repurposed "the Hobbit" to "Lord of the Rings: The prequel". I.E. he includes a lot more scenes to reference events to come, using the story of the Hobbit as a kind of baseline narrative, but exploring more around the edges (for example, I'd expect a pretty detailed look into what Gandalf's been doing off-pages in the book, character moments for characters that would play a part in lord of the rings but are only part of the hobbit by more or less reasonable implications, etc.)

I kind of like the Idea, but will have to see how it pans out. Haven't seen the first part yet (not that many cinemas around). I'm certainly looking forward to doctor Watson having a verbal duel with a dragon in later parts. I'd find it absolutely awesome if they hired cumberbatch for the dragon's voice, but that'd be expecting too much nerdyness from such a movie, I guess.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Can't wait till he get rounds to The Silmarillion.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion"]The Silmarillion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

All good stuff though though,

N,#

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I liked the stories that made up the Silmarillion; but alas, I read the Book of Lost Tales I and II first. I just can't bring myself to call Thingol anything other than Tinwelint.

The Lays of Beren and Tinúviel are my all time favorite stories.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The Silmarillion is a condensed version of the Lost Tales. And IIRC, Tolkien was never really happy with the results. But even then, you'd (probably) need more than one trip to the bathroom, I'd never be able to read it in one shot anyway.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Was he even alive, when it came out - i thought his relatives finished the book after his death?

Yes, it was released posthumously, because he was never quite satisfied with it. I think there wasn't much more than a bit of editorial work done on the silmarillion itself by his decendants, though.