Humor Random Comments Thread

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Wait, did it catch you on Alex or super-long-hyphenated-surname? The red outline makes it look like the former.

I think it did as I used my mail address for my other Google account (which has my name too), but on changing my name to Cueball and using [email protected], it still flagged it. *sigh*

Mind you, Dropbox gets snarky if you try and use batteryhorsestaplecorrect as a password, so perhaps I shouldn't be suprised... :lol:
drop8.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Mind you, Dropbox gets snarky if you try and use batteryhorsestaplecorrect as a password, so perhaps I shouldn't be suprised... :lol:

Funnily, despite a long and very restrictive list of banned patterns in passwords in a new business torture tool here (Not going into details here, but you need a good dictionary to not accidentially generate an illegal password), neither "CorrectBatteryHorseStaple" nor "IchMagBratwurst" (German example of the same password generation rule) are illegal passwords there.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Rule of thumb: Passwords should be so hard that you can't log into your email account drunk to send everyone in your contacts list a message.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And here we go again. I think it's time to think about emigrating.
9056_r_990_0.jpg

Thankfully no one got hurt. It takes a bit of force to flip one of these.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Not that hard it seems, a coworker lives in a village that has a huge traffic problem and always one truck ending on its side after trying to take the complex trajectory in his village with high speed (Downhill S-turn with decreasing turn radius). I already caused myself a small car accident there because even the legal limit of 50 km/h is too fast there, I had at least the choice between hitting a crossing aid and two girls who got on the road without noticing me.

Luckily, the truck that ended in his garden had only loaded some light plastic parts. Many trucks carry two coils of steel, 40 tons total load, those have much more inertia. A few days ago, the speed limit was finally reduced to 30 km/h, after the state government constantly refused that based on dubious traffic statistics.

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This one is only ~10 meters from a roundabout, so it was practically stationary. It stopped after only 3-4 meters after leaving the road.

[Edit] It was actually closer then I thought. The cab has reached the roundabout.
9057_r_990_0.jpg

PS: It was flipped by the wind, not by it's inertia. It rolled to the right in a right hand turn.

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Remember that trucks have quite a large area affected by crosswinds. I think especially empty trucks should become relatively easy to flip.
You could probably calculate it with 9th grade physics but to be honest I'm too tired for that, stupid new jobs.:lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Problem? No problem with Mosin, comrade.

I should do an entry for the Stgw90... :)

You could avoid cleaning it, but the mere possession of it induces OCD.

You can hit a coin hidden in the barn. Actually, you HAVE to hit it or else.

What's "cheap"?

There ain't no such thing as a "safety". There are only fire selection levers.

Your rifle has a sling, a length of paracord to make it longer, and an expensive sling attachment that does the same thing.

Your bayonet digs a pretty trench.

You can put a hole in the center of a paper target at 300m. Actually, you must do it. Or else.

When out of ammo your rifle makes you look like an extra from an action movie.

Recoil? You call that recoil? Send for the the Hecate!

Your sight adjustment requires the use of a pocket computer.

Your rifle is too nice to be used in actual combat.

You paid over 2000 CHF for it. Either out of your own pocket or through taxes.

You get all of your ammo at the range.

Where is my bayonet again?

Service life, couple of generation minimum.

Change cartridge sizes? Why?

You don't repair your rifle, you pay someone to do it.

You consider it a badge of honor when you put all of your rounds into the 5 points score area at 300. In fact, you'd better do exactly that. Or else.

After a long day at the range, you relax by watching "Bridget Jones' Diary". You ever tell anyone, I'll kill you.

After cleaning your rifle you have to clean your boots.

Your rifle's accessories are made by Swarovski or Cartier, if prices are any indication.

Your rifle's finish is probably more expensive than many countries' whole service weapons.

Your wife tolerates your wallmounted pictures of Ashley Greene, as long as she can borrow your rifle.

Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to pose in front of the mirror saying "Are you talking to me? Are YOU talking to ME? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?"

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I should do an entry for the Stgw90... :)

Well, then somebody should also cover the H&K G3...

Stuff you know if you have a G3
You only clean it to pretend being busy
You can hit the broad side of the barn by shooting through two M113 and a small forest
The empty magazine can be still used for stopping soviet tanks.
The labels disappeared during winter 1968 so you never know if this selection is "Safe" or "Burst"
You have a leather sling, that was once used for a StG 44 and still wears the blood stains of the previous owner.
You traded the bayonet for a second entrenching tool
If you miss a head sized target from 800 meters in a new moon night, your superior officer orders the B8V scope for you. So don't miss.
When out of ammo, you pick the entrenching tools and go berserk.
Recoil only makes you harder
Sight adjustment goes to 400 and that means 800 meters or scope.
Your rifle is used by the axis of evil
Your rifle won counterrevolutions and military overthrows
Just dig in the next forest, regardless on which continent - chances are high that you find a crate of fresh ammo hidden there for bad time
Only idiots bring a bayonet to an entrenching tool fight
This rifle will stay with you for the rest of your service life.
You have too many crates of 7.62x51 hidden in your forests to change now
You don't fix the G3, the G3 fixes you.
You consider it a badge of honor to fire a full mag from the hip in burst mode and still hit your target more than once.
After a long day on the range, you relax by cleaning your rifle at the campfire.
After cleaning your rifle, you have a strong urge for Spanferkel and beer.
Your superiors can order a large sniper scope with huge night vision thing for exposing you to ridicule by your squad mates.
Your rifles finish is teflon and moss
Your wife didn't tolerate your huge exceptionally crafted painting of deers in the bed room and left you years ago.
Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to go outside and sleep in the forest.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A few days ago, the speed limit was finally reduced to 30 km/h, after the state government constantly refused that based on dubious traffic statistics.

a few weeks ago, my home village lowered the maximum speed anywhere in its borders to 30 km/h. You guessed it, by popular vote at the town meeting... ;)

Your sight adjustment requires the use of a pocket computer.

Indeed. And it should also have a label that signifies which direction of the screw coincides with which direction of the sight. Also, you of course need a swiss army knife to turn the darn thing :lol:

Recoil? You call that recoil? Send for the the Hecate!

It's not recoil, it's a dynamic feedback mechanism that informs you the moment you fired your last bullet ;)

Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to pose in front of the mirror saying "Are you talking to me? Are YOU talking to ME? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?"

Or yell "Halt du Stier!" (at least if you served in the french part).

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It is that time of the year again. I don't complain.

BA-CRJ1000NG_02-HR.jpg

:cheers:

MattBaker

Reaction score
If it is NextGen, does it have a great fish...uh...bird AI that lets them move away from you automatically?

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Pictures inside...

Radiation Physicist Beautifully Colorizes X-Ray Images of Nature

In late October, at the TEDx event in Groningen, Netherlands, one man stood on the stage and gave a fascinating talk about how his life's work had taken him on a journey to becoming an artist. Arie van't Riet studied radiation physics at Delft University of Technology and obtained his PhD from Utrecht University. As a registered medical physicist, he saw first-hand at the hospital, the amazing progress in image quality x-rays had achieved.

One day, his colleague asked him to take an x-ray of one of his art paintings. It was a thin object and van't Riet had never done something like this before, but as he said, "it worked." This got him thinking about what other kinds of thin objects he could x-ray and flowers came to mind. He started with a bouquet of tulips. The analog image, or the silver bromide x-ray film, resembled a black and white negative. It was digitized, inverted, and then selectively colorized in Photoshop. "And then some people told me that's art," he humorously states, "and I became an artist."

(...)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
9056_r_990_0.jpg

This is what we here in Florida, USA have to deal with from time-to-time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unV5KcSrY-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unV5KcSrY-I[/ame]

But I agree, let's be thankful no one got hurt. It does take quite a bit of force to flip a vehicle like that off the road like that.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Wikipedia on the AN-225 Mriya:
It can carry ultra-heavy and oversize freight, up to 250,000 kg (550,000 lb) internally, or 200,000 kg (440,000 lb) on the upper fuselage. Cargo on the upper fuselage can be 70 metres (230 ft) long.

Wikipedia on blue whales:
The weight of an individual 30 metres (98 ft) long is believed by the American National Marine Mammal Laboratory (NMML) to be in excess of 180 metric tons (200 short tons).

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Note to myself: Also construct a rocket big enough to launch the biggest blue whales to LEO. For fun and profit.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed. And it should also have a label that signifies which direction of the screw coincides with which direction of the sight. Also, you of course need a swiss army knife to turn the darn thing :lol:

Hey, it does have a label. Right on the sight. It says you have to turn the screw in the direction your shots were going.

r2od.jpg

j9sb.jpg

OK, it's not a label, it's an ideogram... :)

MattBaker

Reaction score
Hey, it does have a label. Right on the sight. It says you have to turn the screw in the direction your shots were going.

Was this just a case of "Wait a second, I'll get my rifle out of my wardrobe?:lol:
Monopoly, a blanket, oh I've been looking for that shirt for ages, books, ah there it is!

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-D1KVIuvjA"]Greetings from Chuck (The epic christmas split) - YouTube[/ame]

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So I enjoyed a very nice CRJ-1000 Nextgen flight this morning, right at sunrise. The Moon was nearly full, and once at cruise altitude, I had one of the best naked-eye observation opportunity of my life. I definitively got the "Jade rabbit". From that angle, he is lying on his back.

I also ran a smartphone GPS application and recorded some interesting facts. Takeoff and landing speeds were near-identical, 130 knots. The plane was loaded to the 1/3rd, with people carrying little luggage for that short 600 km trip. Winds were calm.

Indeed the trajectory is almost parabolic, with maybe 100 or 150 kilometers at cruise altitude. I recorded an exact number of 9700 meters (GPS). At some point it was clear that the autopilot was on, as the speed also got very stable with very little variations around 395 knots.

Then we had to cross a perturbed layer of air, and the pilot throttled back to 320-340 knots. Better that than a catastrophic overspeed failure like I use to do in Flight Simulator, thanks ! At this point there were brutal 20-30 knots variation of speed, again that's no airspeed and the GPS probably had trouble "tracking" a course randomized by winds.

Then we had a low-powered descent with airspeed slowly decreasing with altitude to 200-220 knots, at which point the flaps were extended, quickly decelerating the plane to 180 knots which seemed to be the target speed for gear deployment. Then an extremely smooth landing at 130 knots, with really no "impact" feeling. We flew over a swamp shortly before and the water was a mirror, I sighted a small motorboat in the middle that left a pristine trail of wavelets that went to the shores in every directions. So no wind at all, a "training scenario".

One thing that surprises me on those planes is the readiness states of the engines. The pilots seem to begin taxi as soon as the two engines are at nominal idle speed, and to cut them off as soon as the planes achieves a "wheels stop" on the tarmac. Almost like you do with your car, really. That's definitively an area in which the technology has been improved.