Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How is it not true?

No idea what kind of art schools you have in your country, or if you even bothered to check. One major objective of art schools is diversification, artistically and creativly. I don't know a single art school that would treat photorealism as anything more than an artistic excercise to hone skills and observation, as the creative gain is pretty much nil.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No idea what kind of art schools you have in your country, or if you even bothered to check. One major objective of art schools is diversification, artistically and creativly. I don't know a single art school that would treat photorealism as anything more than an artistic excercise to hone skills and observation, as the creative gain is pretty much nil.

"Diversification": probably code for "only if it isn't anime". Is that true?

http://genkistamps.deviantart.com/art/Art-School-Doesn-t-Want-Anime-191534139

"Personally i kinda have a bit of a dislike for anime styles, they all seem so...generic. I love realistic styles and Cartoons cause they all seem so diverse." - Darkone10

More like "discrimination".

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well - how much artist are you, if you can only do the same Manga style drawings and its design pattern over and over again, but have nothing beyond it?

You are right if you say, that you can draw Mangas and have a unique style there. But for every one who is such artistically skilled, you have 1000s who just copy a few Manga shapes and think they are artists.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, so how do you learn to draw better anime-style? Because that's what I want to focus on.

When you go to college (not one of those discriminatory "art schools"), do you want to major in everything just because you need to "diversify"?

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Diversification": probably code for "only if it isn't anime". Is that true?

It's not true. Art schol demand more than just "manga style" (anime is term for japaneese animation BTW, comic books are mangas) for the same basics reasons that studying math demands more skills than just be very good at adding numbers.

Drawing/painting is not just outlines and colors. There are rules of composition, proportions, shading/lightning and you have to be aware of them and got basics skills in those things. Even if you use just basic shading in your pictures you have to be able to visualize/draw proper shading and know how lights and shadows behave on real objects.

Just realize that art school is more than perfectioning 1 closed style.

You have the same with music schools. Doesn't matter if you want to play only blues in a-minor - you have to know more scales, compositions, hords etc.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
By the way, how do you learn "composition, proportions, shading/lighting" for anime on the internet? Without going to one of those "art" schools?

http://meimi132.wordpress.com/2010/...-really-acknowledge-animemanga-style-artwork/

Do you know how disheartening this is? How spirit-sucking it is? To be actively dissuaded from doing the things you love? Not because I need to expand my horizons, but because the teachers just don’t seem to like it, or don’t seem to acknowledge it(or understand it, it seems…)? It’s just… it ruins the fun. Most other teachers in school who have ever seen me drawing or doodling in class have at least been impressed by it and commented on it, but never the actual art teachers. English, Science, even maths, but not the art teachers. They just want us to do poncy watercolours and oil paintings it seems.

Anime =/= all the cases of Sturgeon's Law (including me) on deviantART.

(by the way, I don't really watch anime; I just like the style, especially the last two pieces of art in the above link)

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
By the way, how do you learn "composition, proportions, shading/lighting" for anime on the internet? Without going to one of those "art" schools?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_(visual_arts)

http://painting.about.com/od/paintingforbeginners/u/painting_path2.htm

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/howtodraw/tutorials.html

And a lot of practice - don't expect astounding results after a week.

There are ton of tutorials on the internet and there are even printed versions tutorials - in fine bookstores - go, search and learn.

BTW google usage is not exactly rocket science - you can start from there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
also, it has to be mentioned that even 6 year old children are already pretty capable in copying the rather strict image language of a Manga. The art comes when you learn to carefully break the laws of Manga drawing.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
By the way, I like this kind of style and shading.
heartsnative.png

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm willing to accept manga as an art form, but I can also understand why some "art snobs" refuse to do so. But there is a measurable distance between Hatsuni Miku and Aki Ross (Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within).

There is also a measurable difference between ANY manga/anime cartoon doodle and (for example) Sandro Botticelli's The Birth of Venus. Which has been pretty much recognized as a masterpiece for more than 500 years.

Degas early work (much younger, only 100+ years ago) was pretty much universally disliked but he got better, now all his stuff is collected. In the same time period Winslow Homer was panned by fellow artists for using watercolor. He went on to master that medium, and often used it as practice for a later oil painting.

What I'm saying here that art is art when someone says it's art. Not everybody has to "get" it. Much art goes unappreciated by the general public anyway.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And a lot of practice - don't expect astounding results after a week.

So true. In many aspects of life. Even more when it comes to make Orbiter addons. Or even just playing Orbiter.

The art comes when you learn to carefully break the laws (of Manga drawing).

It becomes a very interesting and philosophical sentence if generalized. Food for thought, really. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, so how do you learn to draw better anime-style? Because that's what I want to focus on.

Look, there's always two sides to entertainment: Art and Industry. Art schools are not focused on the industry part at all. What they want isn't artifice. It's not raw exceptional skill, not the mastership of one particular technique. It's the ability to produce something new every time. The "Artist" as in "the Artisan" and the Artist as in the modern understanding of "the Artist" are two different things. The artisan is the industry type. a skilled worker that can execute tasks exactly and efficiently with well honed skill. The Artist is the creator type. You usually won't see them in the drawing studios, you couldn't use them there. They either create exceptional, original stuff or end up as arts teachers at schools.

It is true that the tendency of "the artist" is often rather snobish towards "the artisan", but that's because they value creativity and originality higher than skill. The artisan, on the other hand, rarely needs that much creativity. He sits in the studio, gets the storyboard and is expected to crunch out great drawings at insane speed. Both skillsets are valuable and needed in their own right, but yes, if you are only interested in perfecting one particular skill, then an arts school is the wrong place for you. Art schools have to deal with the whole of art, not just one niche. That's no reason to badmouth them, though.

It is interesting to note however that music schools are a lot different in that perspective. You usually have to study a specific style of music (even though the mastery of the instrument will easily allow you to play other stuff if you want to), but somehow it does not go that way in art schools...

Last edited: