Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, definitely a bird, good mimics usually. My Aunt had one, and it used to say "Who's a pretty boy?"
Not very well though.

N.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was looking at xkcd 887 (Future Timeline), and noticed that in 2057, there would be a 150-person Japanese Mars colony.

I was intrigued like I usually am with the ambitious Japanese space plans of the past, especially because it was about Mars and not just the Moon, and tried to look more into it.

But I only found it on EBSCOhost, which hosts academic articles but only through public/university libraries. And it wasn't even available even though I was at a university.

There was only an abstract of the article from October 1990.
Reports on the fourth Case For Mars conference held last June in Boulder, Colo. at which Yoji Ishikawa, a scientist from the Ohbayashi Corporation of Japan declared that there would be 150 Japanese settlers living on Mars by the year 2057. Controversial views from other Japanese participants.

edit: I did find something in this document from 1997 along with a very low-res illustration of the Mars colony (page 17 of 44)

MARS HABITATION 2057
Mars, the red planet, may someday soon become a second home for mankind. At Obayashi, we looked into the future, to the 100th anniversary of Sputnik, the first artificial satellite to orbit earth in 1957. And we devised a Mars Habitat for adventuresome space colonists in 2057. The habitat is located at 20 degrees north and 70 degrees west, near Kasei Vallis, close to Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in the solar system, and to Valles Marineris, which stretches for 4,000 km.

The habitat consists of a pressurized dome-shaped terrarium, capsule-type living quarters, a Martian farm, and so on. It is designed to support 150 people. Mars has an atmosphere, ice, and arable soil. Its natural resources could provide for human existence without supplies from Earth. Even oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water could be processed from the Martian environment to supply the habitat and its people.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re my Petrol in Diesel episode a few threads above,
Just had the AA(Automobile Association, UK breakdown service) Fuel Assist van around. Rob, the man with the van, drained and re-filled the tank, bled through to the HP pump, and started up.
To my great surprise, its running as smooth as it ever has and the paraffin smell has gone.
The racket it was making, I was sure it had serious damage, but it seems not.

Don't know the long-term of course, but fingers crossed, reckon I've been lucky.
N.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
nMYsQma.jpg

steph

Reaction score
Anyone know what this ship is? Saw it sailing into Les Sables d'Olonne, in western France. . First time I ever saw a military ship, and I would've loved getting closer to it.

2hi5gfp.jpg

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I see no obvious weapons, maybe it's a research or ELINT ship from another European navy?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Speaking of which, Space Jam's website is still online.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

A couple of days ago, in E:D:
https://gfycat.com/SecondaryInnocentHapuku

Was engaged in some exploration/resource searching when I noticed the crater rim's shadow creeping up during sunset. Had way too much fun "riding the wave" for far longer than I would care to admit. :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So just got my laptop computer back from the repair shop.

Lesson learned: do not spill wine on your keyboard!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
So just got my laptop computer back from the repair shop.

Lesson learned: do not spill wine on your keyboard!

I was astonished to find that Stolichnaya vodka fixes sticky keys very nicely.

It was a really good party.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

I see no obvious weapons, maybe it's a research or ELINT ship from another European navy?

In the USAF this type of ship is called a 'target'.

steph

Reaction score
New wine belongs on new keyboards! ...or something like that, wasn't it? :shifty:

Mine bravely weathered spillages, but a while ago the lower part of the keyboard stopped responding . (probably unrelated) So I'm using a USB keyboard instead, which is something I did often anyway as it had a numpad (apparently a whole keyboard is cheaper than one of those usb numpads, for reasons unclear)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Squeeeeeeeeee!
Star Trek TOS is on Netflix now! :woohoo:
Huh?
What's this Netflix thing, and why people are waiting for shows to get released on it instead of having them downloaded back in the last decade or something?