Humor Random Comments Thread

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Light doesn't seize to exist just because its wavelength cannot be registered by the limited apparatus of our eyes ;)

It doesn't? I challenge you to paint your room X-ray with UHF stripes.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I challenge you to paint your room X-ray with UHF stripes.

that's subtractive color mixing, which is somewhat of a different animal.
Technically possible, but it'll be a pain in the ass to get a color that absorbs all light except for x-rays... I think there would be a nobel price somewhere in that project. :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I think my netbook died today. Was shutting down unexpectedly during operation. I took it apart, cleaned a lot of dust out of the fan and put it back together. Booted up once, thought all was good, then I touched the keyboard and suddenly screen started showing noisy patterns. Shut it down and now it won't boot.

All the data is backed up so no big deal, just means I have to shop for a new computer. Anybody have any good suggestions for a good laptop for someone who does Linux and tends to do math-type stuff (interpreted programming for heat transfer and fluid mechanics modeling instruction)? I'd prefer not to pay the Windows tax if at all possible. I think I want something with a dedicated graphics card - the Intel Atoms I have had on my last two laptops are not Linux-friendly. I'm seeing a lot of gaming laptops in the $700-$800 range that might be a fit.

Unless you actually play games/do computations on the GPU I'd forsake the discrete one in that price range, or at least not consider it essential: the integrated Intel GPUs aren't as bad as they once were (note that these are not exclusive to Atom processors but every single GPU has them now (except LGA2011 desktop CPUs - LGA1151 do have them). For some days I had my two and a half-ish monitor setup being driven flawlessly from the integrated GPU.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I think my netbook died today. Was shutting down unexpectedly during operation. I took it apart, cleaned a lot of dust out of the fan and put it back together. Booted up once, thought all was good, then I touched the keyboard and suddenly screen started showing noisy patterns. Shut it down and now it won't boot.

All the data is backed up so no big deal, just means I have to shop for a new computer. Anybody have any good suggestions for a good laptop for someone who does Linux and tends to do math-type stuff (interpreted programming for heat transfer and fluid mechanics modeling instruction)? I'd prefer not to pay the Windows tax if at all possible. I think I want something with a dedicated graphics card - the Intel Atoms I have had on my last two laptops are not Linux-friendly. I'm seeing a lot of gaming laptops in the $700-$800 range that might be a fit.

Well, for Linux laptops you might check out System76. I was fairly satisfied with the laptop I bought from them back in 2009. Assuming that nothing has changed I'd recommend them. My present machine is a home-built desktop, so I can't really advise on how any manufacturer is doing more recently than that.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
a7ZeZXw_460s.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Titanic 2016
No way. The only honestly waterproof cellphone i know of was made for the Russian army at my first job's place, and it didn't have a camera.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only honestly waterproof cellphone i know of was made for the Russian army at my first job's place, and it didn't have a camera.

There was a Nokia that was pretty good, but I don't think it had a camera either.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Titanic 2016

ayL3ZrV_460s.jpg

So there won't be any question about how the sinking happened, and thanks to GPS we won't have to wait 70 years to find the wreck.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Anyone else having trouble viewing embedded youtube vids on OF lately?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've just had my second HDD failure since I bought this machine (or maybe shortly before, I forget). Fortunately both failed drives were external backup drives and not /home or /, but I'm rather annoyed.

More worrying is that my machine seems to have hung completely due to the drive failure (a backup was being performed when the drive failed). The last system log entries were drive failure notifications during the backup (shortly after I left for work), and I found the machine unresponsive to both keyboard/mouse input and ssh when I got home tonight. It booted without issue when power cycled. Given that the system does not depend on any files on that drive and it is, so to speak, "write only" in normal operation, there's really no reason the drive failure should have caused a kernel hang, which makes me suspect a kernel bug.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So there won't be any question about how the sinking happened, and thanks to GPS we won't have to wait 70 years to find the wreck.

Yeah, but when power of the ship fails, all livestreams will suddenly die, because the WiFi hotspot failed.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I've just had my second HDD failure since I bought this machine (or maybe shortly before, I forget). Fortunately both failed drives were external backup drives and not /home or /, but I'm rather annoyed.
How big and regular are the backups?
If they aren't too big and too often, why not use Dropbox or similar (+GPG)?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The doctor for Buzz Aldrin is David Bowie. But its way less scary than it sounds.

[ame="https://twitter.com/Buzzs_xtina/status/805733612368736257"]Christina Korp on Twitter: "Thank heaven @TheRealBuzz's doctor is David Bowie. You can't make this stuff up. https://t.co/jbqqZeWgx9"[/ame]

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
He probably got the job because he knows if there is life on Mars.

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
How big and regular are the backups?
If they aren't too big and too often, why not use Dropbox or similar (+GPG)?

Daily, incremental, full system backups. I don't use cloud solutions because I don't trust the cloud, though I hadn't considered GPG. Even if I were using an off site solution, I'd probably prefer to have something on site to guarantee availability.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I want to go back in time and make the creator of emacs eat a keyboard, then hit him around the head with a mouse :beathead: