Humor Random Comments Thread

steph

Reaction score
More cruise news.

If anyone finds this tediuos, let me know and I'll stop, probably...

N.

Don't get me going about Hungary. I'm not chauvinistic, I have many Hungarian friends, but maaan, their services are crap. There are rest stops on the M5, with hotels
which don't accept credit cards and the only cash they accept is in Forints...Made a reservation at another hotel, off the highway, but , although the reservation was valid, the hotel was closed. It was a "very" fun night, that one

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I suppose a river cruise is a good way to get a view of a country. Guaranteed accommodation, unless you miss the boat!
Haven't been to any of these countries. When I got the chance to travel it was the Far-East that fascinated me. Suppose it was the old Empire connections and it was as far away from the UK as I could get.
Would like to visit Europe, last time was about 50 years ago on a school trip.

Unfortunately Europe is off-limits till we get the Brexit thing fixed...

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

N.

Better come over as long as you can. :lol: Don't worry, despite the bad reputation of British tourists I am sure, you can still come over the channel even after the Brexit. You might have to swim maybe.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly travel is not possible for me at the moment. Hopefully sometime. Would like to see all the Balkans/ Black Sea countries. We had very little news from there when the previous owner was in charge.
I think Les and Ruzenha are making up for it. Usually get a few dozen transparencies to look through when they come back...

N.

steph

Reaction score
I suppose a river cruise is a good way to get a view of a country. Guaranteed accommodation, unless you miss the boat!
Haven't been to any of these countries. When I got the chance to travel it was the Far-East that fascinated me. Suppose it was the old Empire connections and it was as far away from the UK as I could get.
Would like to visit Europe, last time was about 50 years ago on a school trip.
up

N.

Don't know about boat cruises, but train trips are nice too. Can't remember the name, but there was a good documentary about russian trains. The whole country was a splendor.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ex politician(and general talking-head) called Michael Portillo presented a BBC series on
train trips. UK, North America and India. Probably others.

Seems genuinely interested in all things train, and did a good job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Railway_Journeys

Well, a lot more than I thought!

Probably on u-tube thing. Worth a watch, especially the internatioanal ones. HD and all that scenery.

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A few years ago I took a train from San Francisco back to Washington DC via Chicago, a 3 night trip by rail.

During the first leg, from Sacramento to Denver through Donner Pass and on through Utah and the Rocky Mountains, there were two British tourists on the train in my sleeper car. I hung out with them and ate with them in the diner car a few times. These guys were both railroaders in the UK, at least one of them was an engineer (driver). They were so geeked out by all the American rail equipment, they rattled off the technical specs of the Amtrak GE Genesis locomotives heading our train, and they loved to see all gigantic freight locomotives along the way.

Pus the eastbound trip through those mountains out West is really scenic. (Westbound less so due to passing the good scenery at night.) Those guys shot lots of photos and had a great time. In Denver they got off the train and caught a plane for the rest of their trip.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just noticed while watching the last Soyuz launch video from inside the capsule: They seem to use the same kitchen timers in Soyuz as they used for the Space Shuttle (velcro-ed to the instrument panel).

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
A few years ago I took a train from San Francisco back to Washington DC via Chicago, a 3 night trip by rail.

During the first leg, from Sacramento to Denver through Donner Pass and on through Utah and the Rocky Mountains, there were two British tourists on the train in my sleeper car. I hung out with them and ate with them in the diner car a few times. These guys were both railroaders in the UK, at least one of them was an engineer (driver). They were so geeked out by all the American rail equipment, they rattled off the technical specs of the Amtrak GE Genesis locomotives heading our train, and they loved to see all gigantic freight locomotives along the way.

Pus the eastbound trip through those mountains out West is really scenic. (Westbound less so due to passing the good scenery at night.) Those guys shot lots of photos and had a great time. In Denver they got off the train and caught a plane for the rest of their trip.

Yep. Donner Pass is pretty spectacular, especially in winter.

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Better come over as long as you can. :lol: Don't worry, despite the bad reputation of British tourists I am sure, you can still come over the channel even after the Brexit. You might have to swim maybe.

No, no . . . storm in channel, continent cut off :rofl:

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just watched The Expanse season finale.

Now comes the part where I have to suffer for months waiting for the next one...

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Just got home from an engineering conference held at Disney World. Sure, why not, have a technical engineering conference at an expensive resort theme park ($10 domestic beer, really?) geared toward kids and families in Central Florida in the summer; the engineers and their bean-counting managers will love that! Probably why only 500 attended instead of the 3000 that attended last year.

Everyone knows you should hold an engineering conference in a city with a walkable downtown for the after session pub crawl where the real networking happens.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Just got home from an engineering conference held at Disney World. Sure, why not, have a technical engineering conference at an expensive resort theme park ($10 domestic beer, really?) geared toward kids and families in Central Florida in the summer; the engineers and their bean-counting managers will love that! Probably why only 500 attended instead of the 3000 that attended last year.

Everyone knows you should hold an engineering conference in a city with a walkable downtown for the after session pub crawl where the real networking happens.

Hmm. I'd say Seattle, but that'd be almost as expensive as DW.

Bend, Oregon springs to mind, as does my old stomping grounds of Sacramento, CA. Good beer and food scenes in both places.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
This is the ASME Power and Energy Conference. Seattle would be great, but I don't think they've been out there in many years. Next year they are doing it in Salt Lake City, again in late June/July. Hot and dry instead of hot and humid, but not a bad place to get around. Chicago and Boston (local to me, extra nice) were great conference towns.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
This is the ASME Power and Energy Conference. Seattle would be great, but I don't think they've been out there in many years. Next year they are doing it in Salt Lake City, again in late June/July. Hot and dry instead of hot and humid, but not a bad place to get around. Chicago and Boston (local to me, extra nice) were great conference towns.
Dry heat is good. Your sweat actually evaporates. :lol:

steph

Reaction score
So, I drive an Opel Vectra C with a 2.0 diesel engine. Having some problems with the particle filter, although I had it cleaned a few months ago.
Supposedly it should self clean if you drive at speed and at over 2500 rpm. So, yesterday, after 260km on the highway, with the engine in fifth at 2700rpm and 130 km/h (and occasionally higher :) ) , what does it do? Literally within minutes of exiting the highway, in a small town and at low speeds, the dpf regeneration comes in. mpg goes way down, as well as the engine temp, and it starts sounding rough because the mixture is too rich.
I don't get it, if it didn't do it in two hours at the right conditions, why does it do it after? Plus the damn thing fouls the oil like crazy. I change it 2 or 3000km earlier than normal, unless I want the dpf to come on almost daily

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
A few minutes overdue, but Happy Canada Day to our northern friends. Ran across this today, impossible to say how awesome you guys are: