Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 F3 COTS2+ Updates

legios

Reaction score
I love how everyone was so negative before launch and so complimentary after launch. (I'm looking at you CODZ). I was so excited about the launch...that at my first chance I logged onto O-F for the first time in years. I couldn't believe all the negativity and outright scorn thrown at SpaceX.

I just don't see how anyone that is on this forum could not be an outright cheerleader for SpaceX.

Anyway, good job Mr. Musk and the rest of the SpaceX team.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I was negative because they had a lot of big talk and no actions to back it up. Now that they are actually starting to prove that they can get the job done, they have my support. I'm not a "cheerleader" for SpaceX because I need real evidence.

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
For the record, I still doubt they can deliver most of Elon's pie in the sky. At this point, it's hard to even separate SpaceX' official plans from Musk's fantasy. Fully reusable F9? Over 20 launches per year? Merlin 2? $50/kg to LEO? Manned Dragon to Mars?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I couldn't believe all the negativity and outright scorn thrown at SpaceX.

High level of critiscism and scepticism is IMHO one of the standards of OF, and I love it that way. :lol:

Screamer7

Reaction score
Don't you dare criticized my former country man.:lol:
To be brutally honest, I also was a little sceptically, especially with that abort on Saturday.
But now I feel much better about this program.
I watched Nasa TV this morning and as the coincidence would have it, it fly straight over my head with that ISS flyby.
Was it in the early morning or late in the evening, I would be able to see the two space craft flying in formation.
Anyway, there is still one last hurdle to overcome tomorrow, so I wish the Space X team and Dragon good luck for the ISS docking.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was negative because they had a lot of big talk and no actions to back it up. Now that they are actually starting to prove that they can get the job done, they have my support. I'm not a "cheerleader" for SpaceX because I need real evidence.

Are you sure you were'nt born in Missouri ? ;)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I, for myself, will keep an healthy scepticism until the Dragon carries real astronauts to the ISS and bring them back safely. :yes:

Until then, SpaceX is still far behind International Launch Services or ArianEspace, that are very successful as private commercial companies.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I, for myself, will keep an healthy scepticism until the Dragon carries real astronauts to the ISS and bring them back safely.

I agree. I am however, enthusiastic about this mission's progress thusfar.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I, for myself, will keep an healthy scepticism until the Dragon carries real astronauts to the ISS and bring them back safely.

Until then, SpaceX is still far behind International Launch Services or ArianEspace, that are very successful as private commercial companies.

I do not see why they would be behind either of those companies if they could conduct routine launches with an acceptable success rate as well as fly cargo to and from the ISS with Dragon. Neither of those companies has launched, or has the intention to launch humans, so it shouldn't really be used as a yardstick.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

legios

Reaction score
SpaceX still didn't deserve your scorn

SpaceX has done much to earn at least a little bit of goodwill..even before this latest launch. Let's take a look at their goals and accomplishments.

1. Create brand new rocket company from scratch...done
2. Be 1st private rocket company to launch into orbit...done
3. Reduce space launch price/kg costs by almost a factor of 10...done
4. Launch Falcon 9 rocket...done
5. Launch and recover Dragon spacecraft (also a 1st for a private company....done

Even their latest failure...the aborted launch...was actually a triumph. Other than the shuttle, I can't think of any other rocket that has a hold down procedure where the entire spacecraft is op-checked. In addition, an in-house AI detected a problem and automatically shut down the launch only moments before launch.

The successful abort alone was an amazing achievement. Would everyone have rather seen the rocket explode during launch?

All I'm saying is that SpaceX seems to have hit their early stated goals and are making progress to making their next set of goals. They have combined optimistic dreams with a good business model.

I just don't understand the skepticism.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think (think) that some of the skepticism may step from all the grandiose powerpoint presentations that most of use have seen all our lives surrounding one space program or another. I think for the most part it's healthy.

For example country X says "We're going to the moon by 20XX", releases a whole mess picturess/drawings and then has to change their plans due to funding and/or changes in leadership (wait, that sounds really familiar...). Another country says "Oh, yeah? We can do that too. We're going to go to the moon by 20XX!", and then the same thing happens. Space Station before 20XX, Mars no later than 20XX, etc and so on...
After a while it gets tiresome.

SpaceX deserves some props (and is finally getting them), by taking NASA's brain power, some government money, and taking some lessons learned from past successes (and failures); and with a bit more hard work this should pay off in the form of Dragon berthing to the ISS in a few hours.

I think (still thinking here) that much of the skepticism is earned by Elon announcing his long range views of the Falcon heavy, Falcon XX (the really big heavy lifter). Let's face it, he is not very good when it comes to public speaking, and to announce that "We will do this" is far different that "We want to do this". All on the order of a reduction in cost by X% of magnetude is worthy of some healty criticism. That being said, he is an extremely smart individual who has built a pretty good team to work toward the vision.

I'm not a huge SpaceX cheerleader (not a hater either), but I wish them all the best. Same for Orbital, Bigelow, Virgin Galactic and the others. If space can be made affordable to where I can take a short vacation in an orbiting hotel before I die, it'll be done by private firms, not government entities.

For now, I'll be happy to watch the livestream of the docking soon. And here's to looking forward to the (probably) soon to be created thread for Falcon flight #4.

edit-
Speaking of which, the live streaming has started.

Last edited:

legios

Reaction score
yeah, but...

I understand that we've seen a lot of promises before, but...

Spacex has not disappointed. Of all their near term goals, I can only think of two that they haven't met.

1. Reusable Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 first stages.
2. Building the Falcon 5.

Both were good business decisions.
1. While resuability is still a goal, and the Falcons are designed for that in mind, it's better to get the fundamentals right first. Especially if even without reusable stages, SpaceX is still much cheaper than their competition.

2. There was little market for the Falcon 5, as there were few payloads that were too heavy for the Falcon 1 and too small for the Falcon 9.

Anyway, I'll stop soap boxing... Here's to a successful docking tomorrow.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Spaceflight Now:

Dragon just completed an approach initiation burn to aim for a point 350 meters directly below the space station, where the craft should arrive in about 45 minutes. Then Dragon will conduct a yaw alignment maneuver before proceeding to a hold point 250 meters below the space station.